Feeding and Nutrition :: Am I feeding correctly?

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:46 pm   Am I feeding correctly?

Currently, Turbo is around two months old (I got him, i'm assuming illegally, as such a small hatchling he still had his egg tooth, assuming he was two weeks when I got him he's around two months old now) . His shell is currently a tinyy bit more than two inches. He's in a ten gallon now, soon he'll be moved to a thirty or more gallon Steralite container.

My question is on his eating habits. He currently gets a few Reptomin plus pellets every day I(i'm going to start instructing my dad, who cares for him while i'm at school, to do so matching the size of his head) with a small chunk of frozen bloodworms OR a mealworm substituted twice a week. Going to start giving him lettuce soon. He's shedding a bit, so i'm wondering if it's too much protein or because he's growing.

Am I feeding too much protien/should worms be cut down to once a week?
How much veggies should I be trying to give him along with his staples?
bmm1001

Post Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:12 pm   Re: Am I feeding correctly?

Pick up a new pill box at a pharmacy and sort out the daily amount of pellets that you want him to eat. That way you are sure that he is not overfed. I would skip the mealworm and pick up a veggie clip for the lettuce. If he is two months old and 2 inches long, then he's probably getting too much food. Give him maybe two thirds of the head size amount. How much he should get in veggies is hard to estimate but start off with a small amount and see what he likes.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:28 am   Re: Am I feeding correctly?

Oh, okay! What about the bloodworms? He gets like a pea sized chunk. Also, what's a veggie clip?
bmm1001

Post Posted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:50 am   Re: Am I feeding correctly?

You can skip it... you can use it as an occasional treat, but I don't think RES care. A veggie clip is a small plastic clip with a suction cup. It won't rust and is made to hold veggies in and around a tank. Having the greens in a stationary spot usually makes it easier for the turtles to try.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:51 pm   Re: Am I feeding correctly?

[quote="steve"]You can skip it... you can use it as an occasional treat, but I don't think RES care. /quote]

I've been on this forum for over three years. I have the utmost respect for Steve and and even higher level of awe for his posts and dedication.

I don't think I've ever disagreed with him, even obliquely, until now.

Our RES is a pig. She'll eat anything and nibble at everything dropped into the tank. Unlike many, I had no. Issues introducing vegetables.

That being said, Tobi particularly goes crazy for bloodworms. Our turtle cares.

Which is a long winded way of saying, Steve is right. It's an occasional treat.
Tobi a RES born in 2012
1 dog, 1 teenager, 3 aquariums filled with fish, snails, shrimp and a bit of algae
ljapa

Post Posted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:41 am   Re: Am I feeding correctly?

Heh, I was worried there for a few moments :)
steve
Site Admin

Return to Feeding and Nutrition