Feeding and Nutrition :: When do you stop feeding twice a day?

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:08 pm   When do you stop feeding twice a day?

We have two month old Yellow slider (not sure if yellow ear or yellow bellied). He is approx. 2.5". I've read quite a bit, but can't find anywhere that says when I should cut back to once a day and then every other day. Also, he doesn't eat anything green. He tries to eat carrots but they are too large if they are floating and sink when I cut them small. He doesn't eat anything that sinks.

Oh...this isn't a feeding question, but should I use the UVB and heat lamps daily? I started to put them on about 7-8 hours a day, then after a few days (no other changes to food or habitat) he started listing.

Thanks for your help.
myoungblood

Post Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:03 am   Re: When do you stop feeding twice a day?

How much you feed is more important than how often.

He stopped listing after you stopped using the bulbs? He should be basking a few hours everyday, did you monitor the temperatures?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:04 pm   Re: When do you stop feeding twice a day?

Are you sure about the age? 2.5" at two months seems large.

Many young turtles refuse lettuce and other vegetables. People sometimes have success using turtle Jell-O shots or soaking the veggies in tuna water. At a minimum, I'd say keep offering them. Things will probably change as your turtle gets older.
Tobi a RES born in 2012
1 dog, 1 teenager, 3 aquariums filled with fish, snails, shrimp and a bit of algae
ljapa

Post Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:10 pm   Re: When do you stop feeding twice a day?

@Steve I feed him 4-5 baby turtle pellets 2 times a day. I give him 2-3 baby shrimp or krill weekly. Also, he has stopped listing.

@ljapa I bought him at a local festivals the people said he was 4 days old. That was June 27. He may be a bit smaller than 2.5" but not much. I will keep offering veggies and I will try the tuna soak.

Thanks all. I'm sure he wouldn't be alive without this forum.
myoungblood

Post Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:45 am   Re: When do you stop feeding twice a day?

Also try a veggie clip if you haven't. They work for a lot of people when they are introducing veggies. I like to use veggies in the morning and pellets at night. Once he starts taking veggies, you can use less pellets.

As for the size, be aware that others around your house might sneak him food or treats.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:34 pm   Re: When do you stop feeding twice a day?

myoungblood wrote:We have two month old Yellow slider (not sure if yellow ear or yellow bellied). He is approx. 2.5". I've read quite a bit, but can't find anywhere that says when I should cut back to once a day and then every other day.

I have a 13 month old. I fed her once a day until her 1st birthday. Now she eats twice a day. I had the impression she'll eat twice a day for the rest of her long, happy life...
Impulse Shopper

Return to Feeding and Nutrition