General Care Discussion :: Too much basking?

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:25 pm   

I say go to a vet as soon as possible. It's showing respiratory infection signs.
I have very similar experience almost a year ago. The sooner you get your turtle
medication, the higher its chance of surviving.

The sick map turtle most likely got it from the RES. You should separate Squirtle
for now until it heals completely.

Good luck!
RES - Ramen <f> (51/4")
RES - Heine <f> (43/4")
Asian Leaf Turtle - unnamed <m> (53/4")
measured at Nov 24, 2012
< my turtles' pics >
Kemul

Post Posted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:11 am   

Been a couple days out of the water...only put em in for a bit to see how
he reacts and still just goes insane like he cant breathe and struggles to find a place out of water. Still hasn't ate......Their is no vet that will look into him
closest is 3 hours away.

I've tried:
1) Force feeding - wont take it
2) Dry docking- been days in and out no change
3) Feeding tank-put dry/wet food and not even a bite
4) in/out of basking light/real sunlight

It wasn't too long like this that 'Bowser' died 2 weeks ago from the same signs. He literally wont do anything. EXCEPT i noticed when i put him on the ground by himself and hid so he thinks i left the room he'll slowly,ever so slowly, start to crawl away...

The other 2 turtles in the tank are again perfectly fine and just living a perfect turtle life.....

HAS ANYONE HAD A LETHARGIC TURTLE AND HAVE A GUIDE/CURE

...........anything from anyone im willing to try
all3y3sonme

Post Posted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:08 am   

I had that experience. I don't know any reptile vet where I live, so I read about
the medication to cure RI. It's called Enrofloxacin. I went to a vet asking for this
medication and luckily the vet can estimate how much to give based on weight.
I had to force open the turtle's mouth to administer the medicine drops. I had no
problem keeping the water temp warm (about 80°F or a little more) as it was quite
warm where I live already. After about a week or two, the turtle showed improvements
and from then on, it's living healthily.

Enrofloxacin is a wide-spectrum antibiotic usually given to dogs or cats, if I remember
correctly. Search about it online for more information. Any vet should carry it
in his/her medicine stock. The tricky part is the dosage to give to a small turtle.

Here's my thread when I needed help regarding RI.
RES - Ramen <f> (51/4")
RES - Heine <f> (43/4")
Asian Leaf Turtle - unnamed <m> (53/4")
measured at Nov 24, 2012
< my turtles' pics >
Kemul

Post Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:45 pm   Re: Too much basking?

Hi everyone.
Just bought a RES and found out he is a little sick. His/her eyes were a little puffy but have seamed to get better.
Michelangelo (RES) is eating but basking a lot. The water temp is at 80 and basking temp is at 97
Should i lower any of these? Is the basking temp too high? I was reading that he might be suffering from hypothermia because of the amount
of heat on the basking area.
I'm all ears very new to this..
zigster33

Post Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:25 pm   Re: Too much basking?

I would lower the basking temp is Mikey is a hatchling. Do you have a UVB light?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri May 06, 2016 4:19 pm   Re: Too much basking?

MINE TOO JUST RISE THE TEMPERATURE UP A BIT
-anonymous <3 forever xox
elishawang

Post Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:33 pm   Re: Too much basking?

Hi guys.
I have a baby Reeves turtle (3 months old?). It is basking a lot and not eating much.

The water is at 23ºC(73F) and sometimes at 26ºC(78.8F) (I cannot control the rising because it is summer! The whole house is like that) The tank is indoors and I have another adult healthy turtle in it. Basking place is at 32ºC (90F). It stays in the water a while and then goes basking and stays there, as if is paralised by the heat. When I pick her up, she has her arms spread out to the side.

O top of that, she barely eats. I started with sticks. Nothing. I passed to fish food, she ate a couple days. Then nothing. Now I tried lots of things, meat, greens, gammarus,

I thought she could be aestivating, but she is so tiny, no way it can be that, right? And then you guys had the same problem... 7 years ago... Did you manage to save your baby turtles?

PS: No signs of RI: No puffy eyes, no mucus on the nose or mouth, does not struggle to breath when in the water. She stucks her nose out, takes air in, and then rests har head underwater.

Thank you for any help at all
stinkybee

Post Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:37 pm   Re: Too much basking?

I'd keep them separate. Have you tried live prey? They usually make an extra effort to eat something live. I'd also try a Pedialyte soak with water (1:1) and leave in some crumbled pellets in there.
steve
Site Admin

Previous

Return to General Care Discussion