Hi! Introduce yourselves here. :: New here!

Drop a post to say hi. Please ask care questions in the forums below.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:45 pm   New here!

Hi all,

I am new and am looking for ways to either create a habitat, that is not too costly, or if I have to find a home for our red ear slider, Mimi. I don't think we have enough space to give her a proper habitat and with two dogs not nearly enough attention. My family cares a lot for Mimi and would like to find her a good habitat. Let me tell you something about Mimi, she is a survivor, which is why I want to give her a good home, not just any home.

I think she's at least 13 years old now. For a time, my Dad had a place with a small backyard pond with a waterfall. Mimi stayed there for a few years, but one day we found out that she had been attacked by a predator! We still to this day don't know if it was a raccoon or coyote (even put up night cameras to see). And this was when we didn't know about proper ways to try to keep turtles safe in outdoor ponds. She is now missing part of her two front hands/ claws. We took her to the vet at the time, and she healed, but she did not regrow her claws and is missing them. She is a fighter and survivor. She can swim though not as well as before and her shell is about 7-8". She is now indoors in my home, but in about the size of a tub and shallow water, so I'd like her to have more space. I know she should be in a bigger space, possibly outdoors, but I don't want any predator to get her again. We asked a local pet adoption place if they would take her and they told us that they do not take turtles or reptiles and to drop her off at a nearby park that has turtles in the pond. I am kind of skeptical about that though. She's been by herself most of her life and fed turtle food, with the exception of some fish when she was living outdoors. If there is a non costly way to give her a better habitat I would do that too or any really good respectable rescue. I am located in Orange County, California. Need help or advice! Thank you in advance!

Also, I'm not sure if this is the right place to post, so if it isn't please redirect me.
kim

Post Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:55 pm   Re: New here!

Hi Kim, welcome to the site. I'm very surprised that they told you to release her, that is very irresponsible. Have you looked into stock tanks? A few of us use those instead of traditional tanks. Used tanks are also an option (they hold their value when you need to sell/upgrade), and there are occasionally sales for 55 gallon tanks/for $55. That is a bit small for an adult, but it's probably a big upgrade for her.

*price edit
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:15 pm   Re: New here!

Hi Steve!

Yeah, they are a dog/ cat shelter place. I know that park does have a ton of turtles there, but I feel I don't want Mimi to fend for herself like that. I just started looking at stock tanks! Are they easy to clean? What kind of filter do you use? Also, can you direct me to a place where I can get one of those? Any places online or at a retail/ hardware store? Thanks for the help! I am really not familiar with all of this and am just learning about stock tanks. If I can get it less than $100 to spend I would be interested.
kim

Post Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:25 pm   Re: New here!

Rubbermaid has plastic stock tanks, but there are other places that make them as well. A good place to look is tractor supply store. You can also look into preformed ponds, but they usually lack depth. Another option is also pond liner, but you will need someone handy to build a frame to hold it.

I think my 100 gallon stock tank was about $100... but if that's your budget, you might be able to snag a 90-100 gallon used aquarium for that price. A canister filter will likely cost you a bit more but they are worth it.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:19 pm   Re: New here!

How do you incorporate the basking area with the stock tank? Looking for a set up that is easy to set up and maintain (clean). I always had problems with cleaning fish aquariums, maybe because I had the wrong filter.

I'm thinking of keeping this indoors, but just so I know how do you protect the turtle from predators if this is used outdoors?
kim

Post Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:17 pm   Re: New here!

If you can find a large enough piece of cork bark, you can just wedge it in there. If not, a simple pvc platform with tile above it will work. If you have a larger stock tank >100 gallons, then you can get more creative... driftwood, clay pots, buckets, etc.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:14 pm   Re: New here!

I have a 100 gallon Rubbermaid stock tank coming in the mail soon! Thank you Steve and to this website for providing such helpful information!
kim

Post Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:33 pm   Re: New here!

Yea! Can't wait to see it setup!
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:20 pm   Re: New here!

So yay, the stock tank finally came! Now the thing is dang, it's big! There's no way my family will let me keep this inside (having wood floors) so now I'll have to put it outside in the backyard against the wall which I did already make room for. What kind of canister filter do I need for this stock tank?

I am also thinking geeze, is it even worth it to have it in the backyard? I do live in southern California where it's pretty much 75-80 degrees all the time, but in the later winter months it can get 65, maybe 55. I do know that Mimi has pretty much hibernated every year around September even being indoors, she's not very active. I'm learning that this is not that normal.
kim

Post Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:23 pm   Re: New here!

There are different ways to keep RES, so you might get wildly different answers. Indoors is sometimes better with stock tanks... less chance of leaking. You can use a lot of different canisters, though you might need to make a slight modification to get the hoses through. You'd also want to elevate it a bit (cinder blacks can do this easily) which makes it easier for the filter to work but also for you to reach into the tank.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Hi! Introduce yourselves here.