Feeding and Nutrition :: New to RES - baby not eating

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:35 pm   Re: New to RES - baby not eating

It can be done but I have not tried it. You will want to consult with a vet. The method I described is the least invasive.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:45 pm   Re: New to RES - baby not eating

Ok, thanks.
myoungblood

Post Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:44 pm   Re: New to RES - baby not eating

Just curious, what does the Pedialyte do? I plan to get some tomorrow.
myoungblood

Post Posted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:18 am   Re: New to RES - baby not eating

Thanks for all the advice. One more question for today...should I put him some place completely dry for a while? He acts like he's trying to stay dry...maybe nature telling him to dry out? His underbelly seems to be getting softer or I'm getting more paranoid. Thanks again.
myoungblood

Post Posted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:17 am   Re: New to RES - baby not eating

Pedialyte is for electrolytes. They give it to children who are dehydrated and athletes drink it instead of sports drinks. You can place him someplace dry, but there is some urgency in getting him to eat.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:47 pm   Re: New to RES - baby not eating

I've been soaking him for about an hour 2 times a day, leaving him in a tote with water and a large rock for basking in direct sunlight as much as possible, and still no effort to eat. His under shell is yet to softer. On the brighter side, he appears to like the Pedialyte bath and is opening his eyes more often.

Tomorrow I'm going to see if he responds to tuna fish.

Any suggestions short of a trip to a vet.
myoungblood

Post Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:54 pm   Re: New to RES - baby not eating

I'd add some crumbs of pellets in the Pedialyte solution, so he can eat a little when he drinks.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:04 pm   Re: New to RES - baby not eating

I will. He's gotten so weak, he hardly lifts his head anymore. He doesn't even try to squirm when I pick him up. He does not go into the water unless I put him there. We have a floating dock, but it is damp in places. Should I put him in a dry location for a while (couple of hours)?
myoungblood

Post Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:14 pm   Re: New to RES - baby not eating

I'm not sure if it matters at this point. He shouldn't be kept dry for extended periods of time.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:24 pm   Re: New to RES - baby not eating

Does it sound like he is too far gone?
myoungblood

Post Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:30 pm   Re: New to RES - baby not eating

I wish I had the info for the people selling them at the festival. I'd certainly like to speak with them. I imagine there a many turtles dying unnecessarily due to people like me who have taken their word for it that the turtles don't need much more than a small container and pellets. Only to get home and not have a clue how to help a struggling baby. Thank you so much, Steve, for helping me with ideas.
myoungblood

Post Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:27 am   Re: New to RES - baby not eating

I think he has a chance, but thats easy to say from a computer. You need to keep trying to get him to eat.. some hatchlings don't adapt well or are too stubborn.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:18 pm   Re: New to RES - baby not eating

Bad news. Groovy did not make it. Thanks again for all of your help. I will definitely spread the word that those adorable little critters should only go to homes with people who know what they are doing.
myoungblood

Post Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:12 am   Re: New to RES - baby not eating

We have moved Slider inside and I want to make sure we have everything set up properly. Please advise.

He is approximately 1 3/4" long and almost 4 weeks old. The tank is 20-25 gallons, it is the long version from PetSmart with a corner low filter. I have about 6 " of water at 78 degrees. No gravel or sand...2 large basking rocks, one with tunnel/cave for hiding. I put the declorination stuff in the water. At night I have a 75 watt Flukers night heat bulb about 14-16" above his basking rock. I know he will need a day heat lamp and uvb lamp. Right now the tank has a standard florescent bulb. Can that be replaced with either the day heat lamp or uvb or do I need to get a double lamp to sit on top of tank? Also, how do you switch from day to night lamps...surely I don't have to switch the bulbs each time or do you have a 3rd lamp to house the night bulb?

Thanks for advice. I am determined to help Slider thrive. My daughters are so sad about Groovy not making it. By the way...the spot on the side of his face was a hole into his head when I got home and saw him dead.
myoungblood

Post Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:28 am   Re: New to RES - baby not eating

Sorry about Groovy. That hole sounds pretty scary.

For Slider's tank, you need to make sure his filter, rocks and decoration do not pose any trapping dangers. You do not need to use a dechlorinator if you have carbon in your filter media. You do not need a night heat bulb, a submersible water heater is recommended. Many people use regular incandescents as heat bulbs, they just need to be away from water.
steve
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Feeding and Nutrition