Feeding and Nutrition :: Declining the pellets now

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:34 pm   Declining the pellets now

this week I began floating red lettuce leaves in the pool for my 5 1/2" and 6" RES. I put in 2 leaves every day, taking the old ones. (usually pretty much the spine of the leaf and a third of the green is all thats left) The last couple times I put them in the feeding tank, I noticed they hardly ate any pellets at all. The little ones likes to eat out of my hand only dried krill, and the big one usually chases pellets all over the tank. The little one I don't usually witness eating pellets, because she's a bit more skittish around me. Are they getting too much lettuce now? Or is this fine and healthier to let them graze?
Polubing

Post Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:21 pm   Re: Declining the pellets now

That's a bit strange since they usually always prefer pellets over other types of food. What brand pellets are you using?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:36 pm   Re: Declining the pellets now

Zoomed maintainance formula and Reptomin sticks. The Big one ate maybe 5 pellets, and the little one ate like two.
Polubing

Post Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:20 pm   Re: Declining the pellets now

So I just tried feeding them again, when I had not replaced the lettuce last night. They ate a bit more than last time, but that was without calcium dusting. They appear to not like calcium powder? I threw lettuce back in after they had their pellets.
Polubing

Post Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:52 pm   Re: Declining the pellets now

I think calcium has a bitter taste to it. What about if you feed them several hours apart? I normally choose to feed lettuce in the morning and a few pellets at night.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:23 pm   Re: Declining the pellets now

I'll do that, thanks :)
Polubing

Return to Feeding and Nutrition