Feeding and Nutrition :: Should baby turtles have unlimited greens?

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:02 pm   Should baby turtles have unlimited greens?

Thunder is now 2 inches long (shell). Everyday I put in a piece of red lettuce or curly leaf lettuce and by morning it s gone. Should baby RES have all the lettuce they want? He gets Reptomin baby turtle pellets and two or three flies, amounting to the size of his head. Another thing- are they nocturnal? It looks like he is raiding the fridge in total darkness.
MissT

Post Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:30 pm   Re: Should baby turtles have unlimited greens?

They can eat as many greens as they want, but you will need to watch their poop. If it disintegrates really fast, you should cut back.

They don't need flies or other insects; the pellets have protein. However, Reptomin is not the best pellet to use. You should look into Mazuri or Zoo Med Growth Formula.
Jeremiah

Post Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:38 pm   Re: Should baby turtles have unlimited greens?

I have a Shama Thrush who feeds on Mazuri Insectovore pellets. Thunder (RES) does like them. I feed him a few every few days. They sink. They are about the size of a rolled up ant.
I feed Thunder a few swatted flies because he likes them. I can catch him live mosquito larva, too.
MissT

Post Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:40 pm   Re: Should baby turtles have unlimited greens?

The little bugger eats insects out of my fingers. He jumps for them, also comes on land to take mealworms from my fingers. It is difficult not to overfeed :)
MissT

Post Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:38 pm   Re: Should baby turtles have unlimited greens?

Also check if he eats it too quickly. If that is the case then you will have to limit it.

They are diurnal -- like us. Keep it dark and they should be sleeping.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Feeding and Nutrition