Other Turtle Discussion :: Calling all Diamondback Terrapin owners!!!

Non-care related topics here.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:33 pm   Calling all Diamondback Terrapin owners!!!

One day I will be getting one of these turtles, probably not for at least a couple of years, but I want to start researching now. I was hoping some of you DBT owners out there might give me some links to look at about care or maybe stories/tips.
I know there are a lot of subspecies and I have to admit that's a little confusing. I really like the ones that have lighter gray/white head/legs/neck with tiny black spots and the brightly colored shells and knobs. I'm not certain which subspecies this is, but they are all beautiful. This just happens to be my favorite.
I have 1 RES, are there a lot of differences in the care between these two turtles? Like I said, I will be doing research, but I thought I'd ask.
My final question is, what breeder would you suggest I get one of these beauties from when I decide to dive in?
Thank you! :D
With man, some things are possible. With God, all things are possible.
1 RES, Jade.
1 calico cat, Sassy.
1 black lab/springer spaniel/akita, Razzle.
1 Beta, Quill.
RedEaredJade

Post Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:17 pm   Re: Calling all Diamondback Terrapin owners!!!

1 Male Mississippi Map/Mississippi
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT White Concentric Female/ Lucky
1 DBT Male/ Spots
(Housed in the same tank)

300 gallon indoor stock tank, FX6 & FX5 filters. Mega-Ray 100w UVB bulb.
Kansasslider

Post Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:38 pm   Re: Calling all Diamondback Terrapin owners!!!

Yes!! That is the one. *edit* Thank you for that link.
1 RES, Jade.
1 calico cat, Sassy.
1 Beta, Quill.
RedEaredJade

Post Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:55 pm   Re: Calling all Diamondback Terrapin owners!!!

No problem. I'm not sure how many people here own diamondbacks? I think just a few including myself. Diamonbacks4life probably knows more about them than anyone else.
1 Male Mississippi Map/Mississippi
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT White Concentric Female/ Lucky
1 DBT Male/ Spots
(Housed in the same tank)

300 gallon indoor stock tank, FX6 & FX5 filters. Mega-Ray 100w UVB bulb.
Kansasslider

Post Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:46 am   Re: Calling all Diamondback Terrapin owners!!!

You can keep them like an RES, if if is captive-bred. Wild caught specimens usually need brackish water. Other than that, people like Kansasslider successfully house the species together--provided that the enclosure is big enough. They can be prone to skin problems if their water isn't good, so that's also something to consider before purchase. Good breeders can be found on the Kingsnake.com Classifieds.

All that being said, I don't own any DBT's...So I'll gracefully bow out of this thread, now. 8) Good luck!
Jeremiah

Post Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:04 am   Re: Calling all Diamondback Terrapin owners!!!

Thank you for the info! (-:
1 RES, Jade.
1 calico cat, Sassy.
1 Beta, Quill.
RedEaredJade

Return to Other Turtle Discussion