Feeding and Nutrition :: She eats her own poop but she won't eat a carrot.

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:40 pm   Re: She eats her own poop but she won't eat a carrot.

So far it seems to be setting up okay, but I won't be positive until tomorrow morning. I think it's going to work, though. I'm not sure what type of meat the gelatin was made from, Knox and off brand gelatins generally don't tell and I'm using a store brand, but if it's good enough for a person to consume I'm sure it'll be fine. Haha I'm just happy it's not soy!
With man, some things are possible. With God, all things are possible.
1 RES, Jade.
1 calico cat, Sassy.
1 black lab/springer spaniel/akita, Razzle.
1 Beta, Quill.
RedEaredJade

Post Posted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:54 pm   Re: She eats her own poop but she won't eat a carrot.

RedEaredJade wrote:So far it seems to be setting up okay, but I won't be positive until tomorrow morning. I think it's going to work, though. I'm not sure what type of meat the gelatin was made from, Knox and off brand gelatins generally don't tell and I'm using a store brand, but if it's good enough for a person to consume I'm sure it'll be fine. Haha I'm just happy it's not soy!

knox should be good.
SneakySushie

Post Posted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:55 pm   Re: She eats her own poop but she won't eat a carrot.

Sounds delicious. lol
1 Male Mississippi Map/Mississippi
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT White Concentric Female/ Lucky
1 DBT Male/ Spots
(Housed in the same tank)

300 gallon indoor stock tank, FX6 & FX5 filters. Mega-Ray 100w UVB bulb.
Kansasslider

Post Posted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:33 pm   Re: She eats her own poop but she won't eat a carrot.

Lol Well, I'll leave that to Jade to decide. I think I'm going to post a separate question to see if anyone knows the general grams per week a RES should have of protein . It might be a long shot, but someone might know. If I know that, then I might be able to adjust between his store bought food and the j-shots. (I got him Zoomed floating pellets today!! I'll be alternating between this and Reptomin until the Reptomin is gone. No need to waste it.)
1 RES, Jade.
1 calico cat, Sassy.
1 Beta, Quill.
RedEaredJade

Post Posted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:22 pm   Re: She eats her own poop but she won't eat a carrot.

RedEaredJade wrote:Lol Well, I'll leave that to Jade to decide. I think I'm going to post a separate question to see if anyone knows the general grams per week a RES should have of protein . It might be a long shot, but someone might know. If I know that, then I might be able to adjust between his store bought food and the j-shots. (I got him Zoomed floating pellets today!! I'll be alternating between this and Reptomin until the Reptomin is gone. No need to waste it.)

If I had the money I'd just pay for someone to make it for me. But I dont so ill stick to pellets for now and the occassional weekly carrot.
SneakySushie

Post Posted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:38 pm   Re: She eats her own poop but she won't eat a carrot.

It cost me about $6 total for what I made today. And it'll last... about 320 days if my calculations are correct... Woah. Didn't realize that until just now. Oh well. At least this stuff freezes well. Lol
1 RES, Jade.
1 calico cat, Sassy.
1 Beta, Quill.
RedEaredJade

Post Posted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:34 pm   Re: She eats her own poop but she won't eat a carrot.

RedEaredJade wrote:It cost me about $6 total for what I made today. And it'll last... about 320 days if my calculations are correct... Woah. Didn't realize that until just now. Oh well. At least this stuff freezes well. Lol

that sounds doable.
SneakySushie

Post Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:51 am   Re: She eats her own poop but she won't eat a carrot.

It was pretty easy, which is good because, I might have put the wrong calcium in it and have to toss this batch. Not a big loss.
1 RES, Jade.
1 calico cat, Sassy.
1 Beta, Quill.
RedEaredJade

Post Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:58 am   Re: She eats her own poop but she won't eat a carrot.

RedEaredJade wrote:It was pretty easy, which is good because, I might have put the wrong calcium in it and have to toss this batch. Not a big loss.

You're lu cky then.
SneakySushie

Post Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:30 am   Re: She eats her own poop but she won't eat a carrot.

The $6 bunch of greens that I mixed and gelatin I bought is enough for at least four 64 serving batches. I'm thankful for my wiggle room as I learn. I'll let you know the final recipe once I have it. Haha If you'd like. By the way, they seem to solidify okay with only 1 gelatin pack. I use an ice cube tray (like most I'm guessing) to make it. It seemed like only to cubes that had a little more liquid in them and not as many greens that are still a little soft. I think it will work, though.
1 RES, Jade.
1 calico cat, Sassy.
1 Beta, Quill.
RedEaredJade

Post Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:00 pm   Re: She eats her own poop but she won't eat a carrot.

RedEaredJade wrote:The $6 bunch of greens that I mixed and gelatin I bought is enough for at least four 64 serving batches. I'm thankful for my wiggle room as I learn. I'll let you know the final recipe once I have it. Haha If you'd like. By the way, they seem to solidify okay with only 1 gelatin pack. I use an ice cube tray (like most I'm guessing) to make it. It seemed like only to cubes that had a little more liquid in them and not as many greens that are still a little soft. I think it will work, though.

I only made it once and when I did it didn't solidify well... I had to use more than two packs to get what I wanted...
SneakySushie

Post Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:05 pm   Re: She eats her own poop but she won't eat a carrot.

How long did you leave it in the fridge to cool/how much water did you use?
1 RES, Jade.
1 calico cat, Sassy.
1 Beta, Quill.
RedEaredJade

Post Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:35 pm   Re: She eats her own poop but she won't eat a carrot.

RedEaredJade wrote:How long did you leave it in the fridge to cool/how much water did you use?

idk this was long ago...
SneakySushie

Post Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:37 pm   Re: She eats her own poop but she won't eat a carrot.

Oh, okay. They take overnight in the fridge to harden, in my experience. I'm going to use 1/4 cup less water in the batch I make tonight and see if that makes them all the same consistency.
1 RES, Jade.
1 calico cat, Sassy.
1 Beta, Quill.
RedEaredJade

Post Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:29 pm   Re: She eats her own poop but she won't eat a carrot.

RedEaredJade wrote:Oh, okay. They take overnight in the fridge to harden, in my experience. I'm going to use 1/4 cup less water in the batch I make tonight and see if that makes them all the same consistency.

That's good.
SneakySushie

PreviousNext

Return to Feeding and Nutrition