Feeding and Nutrition :: I tweaked the original turtle Jell-O shots...

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:59 am   I tweaked the original turtle Jell-O shots...

And wanted to get y'all's thoughts. (I gave Jade one portion today and he ate it! My boy that hates greens ate them!)
I did 1 cup of the following veggie mix:
1 head red lettuce
1 bunch dandelion greens
2 medium carrots
1/2 medium yellow squash
6 green beans

To the cup mix I also added 1 tbl of reptile calcium powder, and 1 tsp reptile vitamin mix.

My concern is, am I overloading him with vitamin A?

The batch I made came out to 64 servings (as the recipe said it would) and I plan on serving this mix 5 days a week with the other two being Reptomin and cricket days. I'm also wondering why, since gelatin is protein,don't the Jell-O shots overload them with protein? Thanks in advance everyone!
With man, some things are possible. With God, all things are possible.
1 RES, Jade.
1 calico cat, Sassy.
1 black lab/springer spaniel/akita, Razzle.
1 Beta, Quill.
RedEaredJade

Post Posted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:50 am   Re: I tweaked the original turtle Jell-O shots...

I'd stop with the beans, and switch to a different pellet besides Reptomin. The carrots does seem much. I don't know much about gelatin, but these should be treats anyway.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:16 pm   Re: I tweaked the original turtle Jell-O shots...

The Jell-O shots should be treats? They're the only way I can get him to eat vegetables. As for Reptomin, I'm changing him over as soon as I can.
1 RES, Jade.
1 calico cat, Sassy.
1 Beta, Quill.
RedEaredJade

Post Posted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:34 pm   Re: I tweaked the original turtle Jell-O shots...

Depending on the recipe, it could be only a treat. Are you using it every day?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:42 am   Re: I tweaked the original turtle Jell-O shots...

I want to use it 5 days out of the week. The other two days suppliment with pellets. I changed my original recipe. It now has only red leaf lettuce, turnip greens, and dandelion greens. I also am using only 1 packet of gelatin and the brand I'm using has 1.75 grams of protein per 1/4 packet instead of 2. I'm not adding and other protein source to it.
1 RES, Jade.
1 calico cat, Sassy.
1 Beta, Quill.
RedEaredJade

Return to Feeding and Nutrition