Feeding and Nutrition :: She eats her own poop but she won't eat a carrot.

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:54 pm   Re: She eats her own poop but she won't eat a carrot.

RedEaredJade wrote:That would be awesome! You'd just need to make sure that nothing could get to the turtles, think raccoons, possums, (possibly) birds of prey, and any types of snakes that might be in the area. I could be crazy, but snakes + turtles sounds bad to me. Also, that the turtles couldn't get out and wander off.
Do you have a UVA/UVB bulb for their tank inside?

Not on my watch. Not unless those animals want to be taxidermied into footstools >:(
SneakySushie

Post Posted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:48 pm   Re: She eats her own poop but she won't eat a carrot.

Hahah Awesome!
Do you have a UVA/UVB bulb on their tank inside?
With man, some things are possible. With God, all things are possible.
1 RES, Jade.
1 calico cat, Sassy.
1 black lab/springer spaniel/akita, Razzle.
1 Beta, Quill.
RedEaredJade

Post Posted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:12 pm   Re: She eats her own poop but she won't eat a carrot.

RedEaredJade wrote:Hahah Awesome!
Do you have a UVA/UVB bulb on their tank inside?

Yes I do, I use the reptisun 10%
SneakySushie

Post Posted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:39 pm   Re: She eats her own poop but she won't eat a carrot.

Awesome!
1 RES, Jade.
1 calico cat, Sassy.
1 Beta, Quill.
RedEaredJade

Post Posted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:40 pm   Re: She eats her own poop but she won't eat a carrot.

RedEaredJade wrote:Awesome!

Yeah it's pretty good.
SneakySushie

Post Posted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:27 pm   Re: She eats her own poop but she won't eat a carrot.

Well, I found out today that the Jell-O shots (veggie mix) worked with my boy, so if your parents ever decide to let you make them it might be worth a shot.
1 RES, Jade.
1 calico cat, Sassy.
1 Beta, Quill.
RedEaredJade

Post Posted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:42 pm   Re: She eats her own poop but she won't eat a carrot.

RedEaredJade wrote:Well, I found out today that the Jell-O shots (veggie mix) worked with my boy, so if your parents ever decide to let you make them it might be worth a shot.

If I were to make one... I'd put a lot of dandelion greens, anacharis, duckweed, and then a few carrots, some kale, and some fish or shrimp for flavoring.
SneakySushie

Post Posted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:49 pm   Re: She eats her own poop but she won't eat a carrot.

That sounds like a great mix to me! The heavier on dark greens it is, the better. They're the best for them. Mine are heavy in dandelion greens and red leaf lettuce because it's what I had on hand. Also, if you have it, add some boiled crushed egg shell, or calcium powder, or crushed cuttlebone for calcium, and a little bit of reptile vitamin mix powder never hurts. (I have calcium powder in mine along with vitamins, but also am offering him some crushed eggshell when I feed him.)

Here's the recipe I used. I copied it off this forum, and then tweaked to it a tiny bit.
Ingredients:
1 cup of pureed veggies (1 head red lettuce, 1 bunch dandelion greens, 2 small carrots, 1/2 medium squash, 6 green beans.)
1 tbs calcium power
1 tsp vitamin powder
1 cup boiling water
1/2 cup cool water
2 packets Knox Unflavored gelatin
directions:
In a bowl mix the plant ingredients on the list until well blended. Add the two packets of knox gelatin to the cool water and stir for 1 minute. Let sit while the water boils. Add the cool water with gelatin to the boiling water and stir until the gelatin has dissolved. Pour the geltain mixture into the bowl of veggie mix. Stir until blended and portion into ice cube tray molds. Place in your fridge and allow them to set.
Once they have set, pull them out of the mold by using a tooth pick and cut them in half or fourths (depending on the size of your turtle). place pieces in rows on a cookie sheet and freeze. once frozen, portion into plastic containers. Serve frozen. Makes about 64 servings.
1 RES, Jade.
1 calico cat, Sassy.
1 Beta, Quill.
RedEaredJade

Post Posted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:02 pm   Re: She eats her own poop but she won't eat a carrot.

RedEaredJade wrote:That sounds like a great mix to me! The heavier on dark greens it is, the better. They're the best for them. Mine are heavy in dandelion greens and red leaf lettuce because it's what I had on hand. Also, if you have it, add some boiled crushed egg shell, or calcium powder, or crushed cuttlebone for calcium, and a little bit of reptile vitamin mix powder never hurts. (I have calcium powder in mine along with vitamins, but also am offering him some crushed eggshell when I feed him.)

Here's the recipe I used. I copied it off this forum, and then tweaked to it a tiny bit.
Ingredients:
1 cup of pureed veggies (1 head red lettuce, 1 bunch dandelion greens, 2 small carrots, 1/2 medium squash, 6 green beans.)
1 tbs calcium power
1 tsp vitamin powder
1 cup boiling water
1/2 cup cool water
2 packets Knox Unflavored gelatin
directions:
In a bowl mix the plant ingredients on the list until well blended. Add the two packets of knox gelatin to the cool water and stir for 1 minute. Let sit while the water boils. Add the cool water with gelatin to the boiling water and stir until the gelatin has dissolved. Pour the geltain mixture into the bowl of veggie mix. Stir until blended and portion into ice cube tray molds. Place in your fridge and allow them to set.
Once they have set, pull them out of the mold by using a tooth pick and cut them in half or fourths (depending on the size of your turtle). place pieces in rows on a cookie sheet and freeze. once frozen, portion into plastic containers. Serve frozen. Makes about 64 servings.

Why didn't you try adding some fish in it's diet too?
SneakySushie

Post Posted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:15 pm   Re: She eats her own poop but she won't eat a carrot.

Because gelatin is a protein and I also give him freeze dried crickets and turtle pellets and and adult RES diet should only be about 25% protein. The jello is really just to get him eating veggies and calcium for me.
1 RES, Jade.
1 calico cat, Sassy.
1 Beta, Quill.
RedEaredJade

Post Posted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:28 pm   Re: She eats her own poop but she won't eat a carrot.

RedEaredJade wrote:Because gelatin is a protein and I also give him freeze dried crickets and turtle pellets and and adult RES diet should only be about 25% protein. The jello is really just to get him eating veggies and calcium for me.

Yeah but I mean if you add some meat to it, it'll be more flavorful to them? Kind of like how we have salads.. and a salad isn't complete without some bacon and ranch dressing to it. lol.
SneakySushie

Post Posted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:32 pm   Re: She eats her own poop but she won't eat a carrot.

Oh, I see what you're saying. Well, Jade is picky, but he seems to be taking it with just the geleten as the "meat" flavor. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to add for flavor, but you do need to be careful about salt content, heavy metal, and even petroleum when you start adding in things like tuna and shrimp. We can handle more of those things than these little guys. If you have an overly picky girl, then you might add a little something. This being said, my boy is extremely picky and seems to be eating it without any added flavoring.
1 RES, Jade.
1 calico cat, Sassy.
1 Beta, Quill.
RedEaredJade

Post Posted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:34 pm   Re: She eats her own poop but she won't eat a carrot.

RedEaredJade wrote:Oh, I see what you're saying. Well, Jade is picky, but he seems to be taking it with just the geleten as the "meat" flavor. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to add for flavor, but you do need to be careful about salt content, heavy metal, and even petroleum when you start adding in things like tuna and shrimp. We can handle more of those things than these little guys. If you have an overly picky girl, then you might add a little something. This being said, my boy is extremely picky and seems to be eating it without any added flavoring.

Well i would add fresh water varieties.
SneakySushie

Post Posted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:38 pm   Re: She eats her own poop but she won't eat a carrot.

You can certainly try it, just make doubly sure you're not feeding them too much protein because then you'll have other health issues on your hands. But, this is certainly something you can try. And, since the average gelatin box has 4 packs and each recipe only takes 2 packets, you could do 2 batches. 1 with meat and the other without. This way you could alternate between the two to limit the risk of giving too much protein.
1 RES, Jade.
1 calico cat, Sassy.
1 Beta, Quill.
RedEaredJade

Post Posted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:09 am   Re: She eats her own poop but she won't eat a carrot.

RedEaredJade wrote:You can certainly try it, just make doubly sure you're not feeding them too much protein because then you'll have other health issues on your hands. But, this is certainly something you can try. And, since the average gelatin box has 4 packs and each recipe only takes 2 packets, you could do 2 batches. 1 with meat and the other without. This way you could alternate between the two to limit the risk of giving too much protein.
That sounds good.
SneakySushie

PreviousNext

Return to Feeding and Nutrition