Feeding and Nutrition :: What to feed an adult red eared slider?

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Tue May 26, 2015 7:02 pm   What to feed an adult red eared slider?

I know you're supposed to feed veggies... but Hannibal does not seem to like her veggies. all she likes is carrots, bananas, and stuff like that... Okay granted I only tried twice to feed her leafy greens... but what would be a plant that she probably won't resist and it's actually healthy for her? I know of a place that I can find wild anachris.

Would tortoise pellets suffice as veggies? D: Maybe I can wean her into that...
SneakySushie

Post Posted: Wed May 27, 2015 9:51 am   Re: What to feed an adult red eared slider?

You can make your own veggie treats. If you try aquatic plants, they should last longer in there until she eats it. I also like to recommend a veggie clip for them to use. Lastly, I would not use wild plants or prey - contamination and parasites are an issue.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed May 27, 2015 10:04 am   Re: What to feed an adult red eared slider?

steve wrote:You can make your own veggie treats. If you try aquatic plants, they should last longer in there until she eats it. I also like to recommend a veggie clip for them to use. Lastly, I would not use wild plants or prey - contamination and parasites are an issue.

I might try to make them those jello shots I just hope she eats them.
SneakySushie

Post Posted: Wed May 27, 2015 10:07 am   Re: What to feed an adult red eared slider?

If she has a healthy appetite and in good overall health, then you might need to try tough love and restrict her food.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed May 27, 2015 10:22 am   Re: What to feed an adult red eared slider?

steve wrote:If she has a healthy appetite and in good overall health, then you might need to try tough love and restrict her food.

How so? Will it work?
SneakySushie

Post Posted: Fri May 29, 2015 2:21 am   Re: What to feed an adult red eared slider?

Only offer veggies until one of you gives in.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri May 29, 2015 11:52 am   Re: What to feed an adult red eared slider?

steve wrote:Only offer veggies until one of you gives in.

oh ok.
SneakySushie

Post Posted: Fri May 29, 2015 10:12 pm   Re: What to feed an adult red eared slider?

Try red leaf lettuce. Mine didn't like it for a while but now she can't get enough!
1 Male Mississippi Map/Mississippi
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT White Concentric Female/ Lucky
1 DBT Male/ Spots
(Housed in the same tank)

300 gallon indoor stock tank, FX6 & FX5 filters. Mega-Ray 100w UVB bulb.
Kansasslider

Post Posted: Sat May 30, 2015 6:50 pm   Re: What to feed an adult red eared slider?

Kansasslider wrote:Try red leaf lettuce. Mine didn't like it for a while but now she can't get enough!

That's what I am giving her and she only ate a few of it then stopped.
SneakySushie

Post Posted: Sun May 31, 2015 12:26 pm   Re: What to feed an adult red eared slider?

Keep trying.. Sooner or later they will eat a few bites. Mine hasn't eaten much of any type of lettuce in about 8 months, but every-so-often, will take a few bites out of the stem. I offer it to him everyday hoping that that will be the day he decides to start eating it again.
Into_the_Mystic

Post Posted: Sun May 31, 2015 1:28 pm   Re: What to feed an adult red eared slider?

Into_the_Mystic wrote:Keep trying.. Sooner or later they will eat a few bites. Mine hasn't eaten much of any type of lettuce in about 8 months, but every-so-often, will take a few bites out of the stem. I offer it to him everyday hoping that that will be the day he decides to start eating it again.

But that's just wasting lettuce. :C
SneakySushie

Post Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:08 am   Re: What to feed an adult red eared slider?

SneakySushie wrote:
Into_the_Mystic wrote:Keep trying.. Sooner or later they will eat a few bites. Mine hasn't eaten much of any type of lettuce in about 8 months, but every-so-often, will take a few bites out of the stem. I offer it to him everyday hoping that that will be the day he decides to start eating it again.

Tell me about it.. lol
Into_the_Mystic

Post Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:37 am   Re: What to feed an adult red eared slider?

Into_the_Mystic wrote:
SneakySushie wrote:

Tell me about it.. lol

There has to be a pelleted food out there that meets the vegetarian requirements of a slider....
In the end its not my fault that she doesnt want to eat veggies like she should. :/ But I hope she lives well.
SneakySushie

Return to Feeding and Nutrition