Feeding and Nutrition :: Zoomed Banquet Blocks

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Thu May 21, 2015 10:46 am   Zoomed Banquet Blocks

Good or bad? I have given Skimmer 2 of these and he LOVES it and is still alive and well.

My vet recommended this for my turtle, but the turtle FB page admins said it could poison him :shock:

Anyone here have any knowledge of using this?

Zoomed statement:

"Keep aquatic turtles fed and entertained while you're away. Zoo Med Aquatic Turtle Banquet Blocks offer a fun and convenient way to supplement turtle diet. Zoo Med Turtle Food Pellets are encased in a calcium base for a food and calcium supplement turtles can't resist. Banquet Blocks also help maintain your turtle's beak and neutralize acidic water. Offer as a once-a-week treat or as an additional food source for your aquatic turtles while you're away on vacation."

Turtle Facebook Admin's statement:

"This product contains copper sulfate, so I would say no"

"Copper Sulfate remains in the pond and does not bio-degrade. Copper sulfate can be toxic to fish and other organisms.
Copper sulfate results in copper build up in pond sediments and creates a sterile bottom in the pond. Besides many important organisms, it kills beneficial bacteria."

"as well as the rest of the admin team voice a resounding NO on using this product. Commercial Calcium based products are bound with toxic chemicals that over time can poison our tankbound critters. Please don't use this product. Any amount of poison is too much."

Into_the_Mystic

Post Posted: Thu May 21, 2015 2:22 pm   Re: Zoomed Banquet Blocks

I don't use stuff like that, but they might be overblowing what it does. If anything don't use it or use it rarely.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu May 21, 2015 6:16 pm   Re: Zoomed Banquet Blocks

Thanks Steve.. I think I will still use it, or at least use up what I bought.
Into_the_Mystic

Post Posted: Thu May 21, 2015 6:18 pm   Re: Zoomed Banquet Blocks

The only reason I bought it was because the vet recommended it because of the calcium in cuttle bone was too much and Skimmer needed some vitamins due to him not eating his veggies.
Into_the_Mystic

Post Posted: Thu May 21, 2015 9:26 pm   Re: Zoomed Banquet Blocks

Have you tried jello shots? Its a great way to get them to eat their veggies. Ha ha I just had a thought. Wonder if that would work on kids ;-)
1 Male Mississippi Map/Mississippi
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT White Concentric Female/ Lucky
1 DBT Male/ Spots
(Housed in the same tank)

300 gallon indoor stock tank, FX6 & FX5 filters. Mega-Ray 100w UVB bulb.
Kansasslider

Post Posted: Thu May 21, 2015 10:02 pm   Re: Zoomed Banquet Blocks

Kansasslider wrote:Have you tried jello shots? Its a great way to get them to eat their veggies. Ha ha I just had a thought. Wonder if that would work on kids ;-)

Haven't tried them in a long time. Too messy I guess. I know Pet Stupid sells them.. Maybe I'll buy a batch :)
Into_the_Mystic

Post Posted: Thu May 21, 2015 10:15 pm   Re: Zoomed Banquet Blocks

I agree as I also no longer feed them. But it is a good way to get some turtles to eat different things. I would also say no to the blocks. Who knows if they are harmful? I wouldn't be willing to take the chance with my turtles.
1 Male Mississippi Map/Mississippi
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT White Concentric Female/ Lucky
1 DBT Male/ Spots
(Housed in the same tank)

300 gallon indoor stock tank, FX6 & FX5 filters. Mega-Ray 100w UVB bulb.
Kansasslider

Return to Feeding and Nutrition