Hi! Introduce yourselves here. :: Ordering

Drop a post to say hi. Please ask care questions in the forums below.

Post Posted: Mon May 04, 2015 6:42 pm   Ordering

I love turtles and I started a program to save baby turtles, but I have never actually owned one. I'm setting up the tank to get one today! The kinds of turtles I really want are Rio Grande RES and pastel RES hatchlings. I found a good deal on "The Turtle Source" for the Rio Grande babies but the pastels were like $150! I was so mad because they have amazing colors. Do you have any suggestions?
1 baby RES - Oliver
1 baby Rio Grande RES - Kye
TurtleKid05

Post Posted: Tue May 05, 2015 4:45 am   Re: Ordering

Welcome to the site! You should clarify what you want to do. "Save" and "Buy" are not really the same thing. How big is the tank?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue May 05, 2015 6:54 am   Re: Ordering

I agree with Steve. Saving turtles and buying/owning them is completely different. If you have a program to save hatchling turtles why would you need to buy one?Please explain more about this Program for saving turtles.
1 Male Mississippi Map/Mississippi
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT White Concentric Female/ Lucky
1 DBT Male/ Spots
(Housed in the same tank)

300 gallon indoor stock tank, FX6 & FX5 filters. Mega-Ray 100w UVB bulb.
Kansasslider

Post Posted: Thu May 07, 2015 7:14 am   Re: Ordering

I don't have many saving locations yet that I save turtles in. But what I do is I find baby turtles that need help and nurture them. Then sometimes I release them. I already have 1 turtle and I really want a pastel, but in my area I can't find any so I am going to order them off of a website. I can't find one that the price is lower than $150. So I need some suggestions
1 baby RES - Oliver
TurtleKid05

Post Posted: Thu May 07, 2015 9:01 am   Re: Ordering

I'd contact a local rescue and foster and temporarily home some unwanted turtles. Not to offend, but taking hatchlings and releasing them is frowned upon. It's sort of an easy way out because keeping them when they are older and bigger is the real challenge. Certain pastels also have limited life spans and ordering them online is not the way to save them. It only encourages those websites to procure more of them and in the end, contributes to the problem. That's just my 2¢ though..
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu May 07, 2015 7:37 pm   Re: Ordering

The thing is when I find them when they are babies I keep them. But when I find them and there already big I let them go. For example I found a baby turtle and named it Posidan we are keeping him forever. Then I caught one May 5 and are keeping him forever. But all I get are RES and snapping turtles. The reason I asked is because I wand a more colorful breed even though I am also very happy with my turtles now.
1 baby RES - Oliver
TurtleKid05

Post Posted: Thu May 07, 2015 7:41 pm   Re: Ordering

I forgot to put in that I am perfectly happy with keeping adult turtles as I am with the babies.
1 baby RES - Oliver
TurtleKid05

Post Posted: Thu May 07, 2015 8:27 pm   Re: Ordering

So your "program" to save baby turtles is actually you just keeping the ones you find. I think you should reconsider your program. If you want a pastel the only thing I can tell you is find a private breeder. Just keep in mind they do cost alot! Im not one to judge about buying turtles as I bought 3 of mine. I understand what Steve is saying also. I guess our opinions differ slightly. Ever wonder what online turtle shops do with the turtles they can't or don't sell? Just something to think about!
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT Male/ Spots

Kansasslider

Post Posted: Thu May 07, 2015 9:32 pm   Re: Ordering

I am not the only one who helps me run this program. I have people I know take in the turtles too and keep them. In my area the river where I find them to save there are a lot of roads nearby and I see a lot of dead turtles in the road.
1 baby RES - Oliver
TurtleKid05

Post Posted: Thu May 07, 2015 9:43 pm   Re: Ordering

Wild turtles are best left wild. I could find all kinds of turtles in my area also but I choose to let mother nature decide their fate. There are so many breeders that taking them from the wild just doesn't make scence. I made the mistake of taking one from the wild and will never make the same mistake again. I'm not saying I'm ok with breeding them for money but its better than everyone taking a turtle from their natural habitat. They are wild and should be left alone.
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT Male/ Spots

Kansasslider

Post Posted: Fri May 08, 2015 5:37 pm   Re: Ordering

Turtles in my area are treated very poorly and I am only trying to prevent that. So if you could stop being so judgemental I would appreciate it. Thanks
1 baby RES - Oliver
TurtleKid05

Post Posted: Fri May 08, 2015 7:29 pm   Re: Ordering

I'm simply giving my opinion. You don't have to agree with it.
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT Male/ Spots

Kansasslider

Post Posted: Sun May 10, 2015 1:04 pm   Re: Ordering

If you release the turtles back to where they were captured, they will be in more danger because they will have acclimated to the presence of people. It could also be illegal to take/release turtles in your area.

What about an education effort? Like posting signs, put up fences, hand out flyers, etc.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Hi! Introduce yourselves here.