Hi! Introduce yourselves here. :: Hello, I'm new to this, bear with me...

Drop a post to say hi. Please ask care questions in the forums below.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:04 am   Hello, I'm new to this, bear with me...

I have a red eared slider, or res as I see is the short hand. Spike will be 2 in May, and is very happy in a 90 gallon tank, or at least I think so. We have recently moved, and she is now in a new room, same set up though. Before we moved, I noticed the absence of 8 momth old algae eater. Not a trace was left of him. Spike's fed three to four times a week, lots of greens, and carrots, as as well as the occasional goldfish or three. I recently replaced the algae eater with another. I made sure to talk to the aquarium guy that has been with us since the start about the appropriate size, and we settled on 14 inches. I put the new pleco in, let him acclimate, and then let him swim- with no turtle for half hour. I then added Spike, fed her too, more so than usual, just to be sure. Woke up this morning, and the pletco is gone without a trace.
I know this is a rather wordy welcome, but how do I keep her from eating these rather expensive lunches?
Spikesmom

Post Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:17 am   Re: Hello, I'm new to this, bear with me...

Welcome to the forum! Wow, sounds like she's getting a large snack :) Did the algae eater have places to hide?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:02 pm   Re: Hello, I'm new to this, bear with me...

There's a large rock that is attached to the back of the tank, part of it is exposed, what the turtle uses to get out of the water. The previous pletco used to hide underneath of it, but i never thought of a hiding spot for the fish. Any recommendations that would be large enough for the fish, yet, not able to be breached by the always hungry Spike?

Another question, had a crawfish boil this past weekend- family tradition. My 12 year old cousin has recently told me that he fed Spike FOUR crawfish. Will she be ok?
Spikesmom

Post Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:45 pm   Re: Hello, I'm new to this, bear with me...

Yikes, if anything I would cut her off from live prey, including any co-inhabitants. While they can consume the things you mentioned, it's not always best for them.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:05 pm   Re: Hello, I'm new to this, bear with me...

Only cohabitants are the 10 daneos. They've been good company. No live prey. Got it. Thanks!
Spikesmom

Post Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:14 pm   Re: Hello, I'm new to this, bear with me...

No crawfish ever. They can carry diseases. It should be ok just making you aware.
1 Male Mississippi Map/Mississippi
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT White Concentric Female/ Lucky
1 DBT Male/ Spots
(Housed in the same tank)

300 gallon indoor stock tank, FX6 & FX5 filters. Mega-Ray 100w UVB bulb.
Kansasslider

Return to Hi! Introduce yourselves here.