Other Turtle Discussion :: What to do with my aggressive turtle

Non-care related topics here.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:51 am   What to do with my aggressive turtle

Hello folks! first time poster here :)

so i have been raising 3 red eared sliders for the past 7 years now. Unfortunately, one of my male turtles was basically murdered by my larger female turtle. It seems that she bit his head off leaving only the tendon to connect whats left of the head to the body. (RIP my poor baby boy). I know in the past he impregnated her (egg never survived because it was laid in water) and always fancied her. She has bit his tail multiple times before but usually it would just be a bit of bleeding and thats it. I would consider her to be aggressive because she literally bites everything (ie. stick a pencil inside and she'll bite it!) i have another male turtle that is alot smaller but has quick reflexes so he has been surviving (haha)

my question is what should i do with my turtle? i dont want my smallest turtle to have the same fate as my other one so should i give my female one away? i know seperating her into a different tank is an option but my home just doesnt have enough space for two tanks. any help would be appreciated.
bts1234

Post Posted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:09 pm   Re: What to do with my aggressive turtle

If you really don't have the room, and you know of a person and/or place capable of (Properly!) raising an RES, then by all means re-home one of your turtles. How big is your enclosure?
Jeremiah

Post Posted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:31 am   Re: What to do with my aggressive turtle

I agree, you need to re-home. Males need to be kept alone!
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:51 am   Re: What to do with my aggressive turtle

bts1234 wrote:Hello folks! first time poster here :)

so i have been raising 3 red eared sliders for the past 7 years now. Unfortunately, one of my male turtles was basically murdered by my larger female turtle. It seems that she bit his head off leaving only the tendon to connect whats left of the head to the body. (RIP my poor baby boy). I know in the past he impregnated her (egg never survived because it was laid in water) and always fancied her. She has bit his tail multiple times before but usually it would just be a bit of bleeding and thats it. I would consider her to be aggressive because she literally bites everything (ie. stick a pencil inside and she'll bite it!) i have another male turtle that is alot smaller but has quick reflexes so he has been surviving (haha)

my question is what should i do with my turtle?

Please separate them immediately. This is cruel and unusual.

i know seperating her into a different tank is an option but my home just doesnt have enough space for two tanks.

Try to find the space, or get a bigger house to accommodate your pet responsibility. Passing off the angry, aggressive one to someone else sounds cruel, since she already sounds traumatized.
Impulse Shopper

Post Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:38 pm   Re: What to do with my aggressive turtle

You can spend more time with your female turtle; if you spoil and pamper her and basically love her, she might feel loved and not bother your other turtle. This worked for my Common Musk turtle. Good luck!!! :D :mrgreen:
1 RES Evergreen
1 Razorback Musk Acorn
1 Common Musk Charcoal ( Rest In Peace :cry:)
1 Red-Bellied Turtle Hermes
mythicalpet

Post Posted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:13 pm   Re: What to do with my aggressive turtle

Hi! One option, if you have room, might be to set her up in a kiddie pool. You could even do this in the back yard or on a patio if it's warm enough. That way she'd have her own space, and it's a lot cheaper than another tank. Spending time with her might also help, but they definetly need to be separated. I'm so sorry your having a hard time with them. )-: Depending on how big the tank is, you might also consider building a divider into the existing tank. You could drill some holes into it to allow for water flow, but they wouldn't be able to hurt each other. You would need to set up each side with its own basing area, though.
With man, some things are possible. With God, all things are possible.
1 RES, Jade.
1 calico cat, Sassy.
1 black lab/springer spaniel/akita, Razzle.
1 Beta, Quill.
RedEaredJade

Return to Other Turtle Discussion