Feeding and Nutrition :: Are we feeding correctly?

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:48 pm   Are we feeding correctly?

Hi Everyone

We have a feeding question. Actually we want confirmation we are feeding her correctly. She is approximately 7-8".
On day 1 she gets red leaf lettuce twice a day.
On day 2 she gets red leaf lettuce in morning and protein in the evening. She seems to have no limit to how much protein she can eat. We change it up but use dried mealworms, crickets, aquatic turtle pellets, dried anchovies and dried river shrimp. Sometimes live mealworms or night crawlers. Since she will eat as much as I give her what is the right amount? I read that overfeeding protein can cause a lot of problems and I think we may be giving her too much.

BTW Protein meals also come with a side of peas.

Thank you
Roazbear in Austin
Keeper of Abigail the Redslider
Roazbear

Post Posted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:22 am   Re: Are we feeding correctly?

The red leaf lettuce is good, but all the freeze-dried materials in your protein component aren't necessary. In fact, they're the turtle equivalent of junk food--fun for the RES to eat, but nutritionally void. You would be better off sticking with just pellets and an occasional night crawler (as far as protein goes). For pellets, you want to feed as many as will fit in her head if it were removed and hollowed out. Also, peas are a bit high in purines--other vegetables like squash, red bell pepper, or even aquatic plants like anacharis are better choices.

As a final note regarding turtle pellets, be sure you're using high-quality ones. Some brands, like National Geographic, manufacture filler-heavy pellets that aren't much better than the freeze-dried insects. Some commonly recommended brands are Mazuri Aquatic Turtle, Omega One, and Hikari. Even trout chow, like Aquamax, is great to use.
Jeremiah

Post Posted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:38 pm   Re: Are we feeding correctly?

Thank you for the great information. We are mixing a small amount of the dried food with mainly pellets ans she is eating fine. I thought she would reject the pellets. Is it correct to give her the protein meal every other day? Red leaf lettuce, etc. in between.
Roazbear in Austin
Keeper of Abigail the Redslider
Roazbear

Post Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:11 am   Re: Are we feeding correctly?

For the pellet quantity, use that head amount every other day or half head amount everyday. The main portion of veggies is better to use in the morning. I use lettuce in the morning, pellets at night. Sometimes I skip the pellets and use carrots or another treat.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Feeding and Nutrition