Feeding and Nutrition :: About my baby RES diet

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:17 am   About my baby RES diet

Hi I would like to ask about the quantity of food that I should feed my baby RES. I've went around searching information on what baby RES should eat, and I've decided to feed them pellets. (And vegetables if they are willing to eat it)

Their size is about 2 inches and I feed them once everyday, each of them with 5-6 pellets. I estimated their head size to be the same as 5-6 pellets hence I fed them that amount. However, they seem to be constantly hungry and is super responsive whenever the pellet bottle is touched or when you go close to the tank. Am I feeding them too much/little?? :|
merong

Post Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:57 am   Re: About my baby RES diet

It sounds like you're feeding the right amount. RES are "ambiguous eaters" in that they rarely use an "off switch". They will keep begging/eating until they explode, even if they have already had their fair share. They do eat a little less during the winter, but it shouldn't change much for indoor turtles.

The pellet amount you offer is great, just resist begging. If they're that hungry, try some lettuce (not iceberg). They can have as much greens as they want.
Jeremiah

Post Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:50 am   Re: About my baby RES diet

Okay thanks a lot for the response! :D
merong

Return to Feeding and Nutrition