Hi! Introduce yourselves here. :: Yoda the Turtle

Drop a post to say hi. Please ask care questions in the forums below.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:07 am   Yoda the Turtle

Here is his set up... We just got him today.. he is just a baby... This is Yoda

He's very tuckered out from his travels from Florida to Arizona, But we are IN LOVE.
We turned the filter off for right now as it was making him go in a current, poor guy.
Let me know your thoughts!

Thanks!
Brittney Cooper
YodatheTurtle

Post Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:17 pm   Re: Yoda the Turtle

Welcome! Baby RES are great swimmers, so go ahead and fill the tank up. The filter won't be as strong, that way. Be sure to monitor basking temperature changes as you elevate the water level.
Jeremiah

Post Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:38 pm   Re: Yoda the Turtle

So tiny! Has he been eating yet?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:43 pm   Re: Yoda the Turtle

Hai . Mine is a baby too . I think she's of same size . I just feels it's a her . I named her velvet .
Nikitha Venkiteela

Post Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:23 am   Re: Yoda the Turtle

Yoda is very tiny, he seems like a great swimmer, but gets frustrated with the filter, I was afraid to fill the tank higher but we found more rockers (larger) so we can rearrange and place the log higher in the basking area.

He has been eating ok with the pellets its really hit or miss but... its crazy, a moth landed in the tank AND HE ATE IT! Like literally devoured it. So my husband, caught another moth and put it in the tank and Yoda preferred the moth to the pellets. However, we are giving him the pellets. I will fill the tank tomorrow after cleaning it, now that I know that is ok to do so.

Is it possible to put a snail or a fish that eats algae in the tank? Or is that a bad idea? It just seems to be getting yucky and I don't want Yoda swimming in that yuck too much but I also don't want to remove him from his environment constantly to clean it either. Not that I am lazy, but I don't want to stress him out.

Thank you guys for the response! Yoda is hilarious and we love him to pieces!

Best,
Brittney
YodatheTurtle

Post Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:27 am   Re: Yoda the Turtle

You can put snails in, fish he will just eat it. I put a moss ball in my tank and i use the fish algea gone and that seems to help a lot. My turtle hates the taste of the moss ball.

1 Female RES named Raphael
75 gallon tank :D
butterflygirl921

Post Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:44 pm   Re: Yoda the Turtle

If there is more water for the filter, it would actually create less disruption. RES are actually more carnivorous when young, so preferring live prey is normal and healthy. Not sure about moths though :)
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:23 pm   Re: Yoda the Turtle

What would be a good alternative to buy for him to eat? It seems that he actually prefers bugs to the pellets.... crickets perhaps ( bought from a store as to not risk contamination)? He seems to not enjoy eating the pellets... I try feeding him and he's being so picky. He may eat 3 or 4 pellets and that's it. So I try again in the evening and the same thing... but if you give him a bug he devours it in seconds like he's starving and I feel so bad.

We did rearrange the tank to make the filter have more of a water fall affect with the log so its not so crazy. I'll attach a picture soon. He seems to really like his new set up :-)

Thanks all!
YodatheTurtle

Post Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:12 pm   Re: Yoda the Turtle

steve
Site Admin

Return to Hi! Introduce yourselves here.