Hi! Introduce yourselves here. :: Hai . I am Nikitha . I have got a hatchling named velvet

Drop a post to say hi. Please ask care questions in the forums below.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:34 am   Hai . I am Nikitha . I have got a hatchling named velvet

I am new to this turtle care . But I have read many articles and am trying to gain as much knowledge as I can . It doesn't have uvb light so I have to one yet . I am taking it out for sunlight daily . I love watching it its like my baby . I am so happy with it . I am getting paranoid about few things like I feel it's eyes are swollen but not its normal n stuff like that . I want it to be healthy and happy. And velvet isn't it a lovely name
Nikitha Venkiteela

Post Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:34 pm   Re: Hai . I am Nikitha . I have got a hatchling named velvet

Welcome Nikitha and Velvet! Can you describe your setup?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:35 pm   Re: Hai . I am Nikitha . I have got a hatchling named velvet

It's around a 8 gallon tank . It has a small basking area . Enough for velvet I guess it's 1-2 inches not sure . And I have to get basking light and uvb yet . I got velvet a week back. I haven't put any gravel or sand am afraid it lo swallow . And I have a heater and a filter . I maintain the temperature about 78 in water . It's active and eats normally and begs for food actually . Am feeding it commercial hatchling pellets . Till it gets uvb I am taking it to sun and I am planning on giving it vitd supplements . Can I give human supplements for it . And coming to its compatibility with me . It's not used to me yet . It hides when I go near the tank . In the first two days it didn't sleep atall. Now it sleeps when I off the light . Evrythings normal and one day it was shedding skin I Thot it's normal but as a safety measure I put it for salt bathe and there's no much skin shedding now . But today while observing it like everyday I saw white spots on the shell . And am worried now . Should I post a picture of it ?
Nikitha Venkiteela

Post Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:54 pm   Re: Hai . I am Nikitha . I have got a hatchling named velvet

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s300.photobucket.com/user/Nikitha11/embed/Mobile%20Uploads/story"></iframe> These are the pictures of her . In one of the pictures we can see the White spots. Please see the pictures and let me know if she looks okay n healthy . And I have an other Dout . How do I know if she is breathing though mouth and how do I know the way is breathing is normal or not . While breathing her neck moves inside out like in frogs is that normal?
Nikitha Venkiteela

Post Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:24 pm   Re: Hai . I am Nikitha . I have got a hatchling named velvet

I hope it's not shell rot :( . I think it's due to light . I should order the lights soon
Nikitha Venkiteela

Post Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:21 am   Re: Hai . I am Nikitha . I have got a hatchling named velvet

I don't think it's shell rot. It might or might not be fungus. Is Velvet basking? How often do you or family interact with her?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:12 am   Re: Hai . I am Nikitha . I have got a hatchling named velvet

My family isn't here . I always try to interact with velvet but it seemes to be scared and I think it's not used to me yet . So I am giving it time to get adjusted to the new environment . It's only been a week . And basking . It doesn't bask much . I don't think it feels safe to come out yet
Nikitha Venkiteela

Post Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:44 am   Re: Hai . I am Nikitha . I have got a hatchling named velvet

Yes, you might want to give her more space. Especially when she's basking or if she's nervous about eating.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:51 am   Re: Hai . I am Nikitha . I have got a hatchling named velvet

Eating is normal . Eats a lot actually. I am just giving commercial pellets . Should I give something else too ?
Nikitha Venkiteela

Post Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:23 am   Re: Hai . I am Nikitha . I have got a hatchling named velvet

You don't want to overfeed, so you might need to actually cut back.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:36 pm   Re: Hai . I am Nikitha . I have got a hatchling named velvet

Hey . Today I put my turtle out for drying and I lifted it . It's eye was closed and the other eye was open . After a second it opened both the eyes . And that's the only time I saw that symptom other wise it's fine swimming with both the eyes open n all. Do I have to use eye drops
Nikitha Venkiteela

Post Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:27 pm   Re: Hai . I am Nikitha . I have got a hatchling named velvet

Not unless the eyes are really reddish and/or puffy. It sounds fine, though; Velvet was probably sleeping or blinking.
Jeremiah

Post Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:58 pm   Re: Hai . I am Nikitha . I have got a hatchling named velvet

Okay . Thankyou . And do you know what the White spots are in the picture ? How do I treat them?
Nikitha Venkiteela

Post Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:00 pm   Re: Hai . I am Nikitha . I have got a hatchling named velvet

How long are you dry docking or taking her out of the tank? Maybe apply a small amount of Neosporin or some diluted Betadine during this time.
steve
Site Admin

Next

Return to Hi! Introduce yourselves here.