Hi! Introduce yourselves here. :: Turtle SOS

Drop a post to say hi. Please ask care questions in the forums below.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:15 pm   Turtle SOS

Hi there new to forum, but have had my RES for 9 years. I'm hoping someone can give me some advice/help. Our RES lives indoors, in a huge tank (it's his third since we got him). He is about 7.5 inches long, He has a filter, heater and platform as well as uVb light and heat light(which we've had since we got him). His water temperature is about 78. He's very active in the water. However since I cleaned his tank last Saturday(one week today) he's stopped basking and now he's gone off his food (turtle pellets which he's had since we first got him). We've be giving him romaine and carrots to try to get him to eat something and he has eaten these. He's going to the vet Monday but I wonder if anyone has any ideas on why he's not basking and eating. I'm pretty worried about him. There's nothing new in his tank;
auroramh

Post Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:26 pm   Re: Turtle SOS

What's the water temperature? Was it treated or dechlorinated?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:47 pm   Re: Turtle SOS

The water temp is about 78-80 and the water is from the tap (same as it's always been).
auroramh

Post Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:32 pm   Re: Turtle SOS

Did the vet have anything to say? Was the water warmed up before he went back into the tank?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:33 pm   Re: Turtle SOS

Also, have you tried different foods or treats?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:23 pm   Re: Turtle SOS

I know it may seem strange, but sometimes Brixie goes without being interested in food for days. They she goes back to chompin away like normal. I hope everything is okay...
55 Gal(US) tank,
One Female Red Eared Slider
Name: Brixie
Bought on February 6th, 2011
Peva

Post Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:50 pm   Re: Turtle SOS

Hello all, thanks for all the responses. The vet visit went really well. It was so interesting to watch the exam. The vet did a visual exam firstly to make sure all looked good, then he checked Tattoo's shell (all good) then stuck his fingers in the soft part and checked liver and all organs in there; (all good) no constipation or anything abnormal (but the vet did get peed on twice during the exam LOL). Mouth and and throat looked good. Even got to hear the heartbeat, vet used a doppler ultrasound to listen, that was so cool. The only thing he found that was a bit off was the red colouring on his head that seemed muted. The vet recommended to change the UVB light and gave him a B-12 shot. Said to give it about a week to kick in and that should improve his appetite. Also recommended a vitamin supplement. The light, I changed this morning, and also got a plant for Tattoo to munch on, will be getting another one on the weekend to give him some variety. I got the vitamin supplement and am spraying on his food. So far he's still not basking or eating his regular diet. Vet said to call him on Monday if Tattoo hasn't improved. I will let everyone know if you want, how he's is progressing. It's just so weird that he's never been "off" like this in all the nine years we've had him.
auroramh

Post Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:48 pm   Re: Turtle SOS

Yeah that is scary, but it's interesting that you got to hear his heartbeat and stuff.
55 Gal(US) tank,
One Female Red Eared Slider
Name: Brixie
Bought on February 6th, 2011
Peva

Post Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:31 pm   Re: Turtle SOS

News..Tattoo ate everything today...yay....He's still not basking but he finally ate...let's hope tomorrow is the same or better. Take care everyone have a wonderful evening.
auroramh

Post Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:03 am   Re: Turtle SOS

Any new updates with Tattoo?
steve
Site Admin

Return to Hi! Introduce yourselves here.