Feeding and Nutrition :: Calcium Carbonate instead of Cuttlebone?

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:29 am   Calcium Carbonate instead of Cuttlebone?

Hey all!
So I am currently out of the country for a few months and away from my little turtle. She is running out of her turtle shot food and my neighbor is looking after her.
My neighbor can make the turtle shots but I don't want him to have to pry off the backing of a cuttlebone.
Can I use Calcium Carbonate instead of Cuttlebone for the mixture?
is there anything else I can use for calcium instead of Cuttlebone?

Thanks!
Congelata

Post Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:46 pm   Re: Calcium Carbonate instead of Cuttlebone?

What's in the recipe you're using? Green leaf/Red leaf/romaine lettuce should have enough calcium. There is a calcium powder made by Rep-Cal that is phosphorus-free that you can substitute it with (if you really wanted too). Also, how on earth did you find a neighbor to do that for you???
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:13 am   Re: Calcium Carbonate instead of Cuttlebone?

I am using the recipe from this site actually :D she loves them.
viewtopic.php?t=17486

Haha we both switch off taking care of each others pets. They live upstairs so it isnt much of a trek.
Congelata

Post Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:41 am   Re: Calcium Carbonate instead of Cuttlebone?

What's wrong with pellets? I don't think there are many who use the shots exclusively.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:09 am   Re: Calcium Carbonate instead of Cuttlebone?

I add the pellets in as well. Could I just forget the calcium and just use pellets in the shots?
Congelata

Post Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:22 am   Re: Calcium Carbonate instead of Cuttlebone?

Yes, but I would switch out kale as well.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:26 am   Re: Calcium Carbonate instead of Cuttlebone?

Ahh so switch out the kale for one bunch each of red, green, and romaine?
Congelata

Post Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:31 pm   Re: Calcium Carbonate instead of Cuttlebone?

Yes, if you are still going to make the shots. You don't use any pellets at all?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:05 am   Re: Calcium Carbonate instead of Cuttlebone?

Ahhh ok! Yeah I do use the pellets. I put them on top of the mixture after I pour them out into ice trays.
Congelata

Return to Feeding and Nutrition