Hi! Introduce yourselves here. :: Hello

Drop a post to say hi. Please ask care questions in the forums below.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:27 pm   Hello

Hi everyone. My name is Brittney and I am the proud grandma of two baby red ear sliders. They are my five year old daughters. She loves to watch them swim and feed them. Don't worry, I take care of them and she doesn't touch them, but they are hers. She won them at a carnival July 2014 they were only a week old at the time and I had no idea what was in store. After spending close to $500 I got them set up with everything they need. Kinda crazy because they only cost $3 for her to win. They are well worth it though. I currently have them in a 40 gallon aquarium (I will upgrade as they grow) and am using a Sun sun 4 chamber canister filter, that is suppose to filter 300+ gallons of water a hour. However, I still have to do partial water changes once a week and a full aquarium cleaning weekly. Does anyone have any recommendations for a better filter? Any help will be great. Thank you!!!
Cleah126

Post Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:16 am   Re: Hello

Welcome to the forum! I think most of us were not expecting how much it would take to raise turtles. How big are they now?

For inexpensive canisters, I usually refer people to the Odyssea from Aquatraders.com.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:59 am   Re: Hello

People have a misconception about filters. Most including myself think if they get a great big filter in a small tank it will be completely clean. Wrong! Filters filter the water in the tank they do little for poop and leftover food that settles to the bottom. I had am fx5 in a 40 gallon tank and still had to do weekly water changes. I also had to use a syphon to clean the debris weekly. With that being said, your filter is probably doing its job just fine. As long as it isn't all clogged up.
1 Male Mississippi Map/Mississippi
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT White Concentric Female/ Lucky
1 DBT Male/ Spots
(Housed in the same tank)

300 gallon indoor stock tank, FX6 & FX5 filters. Mega-Ray 100w UVB bulb.
Kansasslider

Post Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:46 am   Re: Hello

Thank you Steve. They are still pretty small their shells are a little under an inch and a half. Also, thank you for the reccomendation, I am going to look them up right now.
Cleah126

Post Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:51 am   Re: Hello

Thank you for the information Kansasslider. I appreciate it. This is all new to me and based off the research I did many people said to get a filter twice the size of your tank and you'd be fine. Which is why I bought a 100 gallon filter. What you said makes complete sense to me. I guess I never really thought about it and had hoped for a cure all.
Cleah126

Post Posted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:51 pm   Re: Hello

Your welcome :-)
1 Male Mississippi Map/Mississippi
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT White Concentric Female/ Lucky
1 DBT Male/ Spots
(Housed in the same tank)

300 gallon indoor stock tank, FX6 & FX5 filters. Mega-Ray 100w UVB bulb.
Kansasslider

Return to Hi! Introduce yourselves here.