Feeding and Nutrition :: Questions about National Geographic Aquatic Turtle Entree

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:45 pm   Questions about National Geographic Aquatic Turtle Entree

So I went to PetSmart tonight to grab dog supplies, and some much needed cuttlebone and I bought a small bag of National Geographic Aquatic Turtle Entree as something to mix up Yertle's food menu (she is alternately eating frozed turtle diet cubes, Reptomin Pellets/Krill pellets, and for occasional snack, gammarus shrimp and a Turtle Chaser). It wasn't till I got home that I really noticed the ingredients:

Water
Apple Fiber
Soy Flour
Fish Meal
Dried Whole Egg
Sodium Alginate
Freeze Dried Crickets
Dried Mealworms
Dried Kale
Dried Spinach
Dried Tomato Pomace
Molasses
Fructose
Brown Sugar
Glycerin
Dried Carrots
Citric Acid (preservative)
Potassium Sorbate (preservative)
Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C)
Xanthan Gum
Added Color (FD&C Red #3)

It sounds like a lot of junk, but I was curious if it would be safe for a once a week meal, and if anyone had tried it on their turtles. Here's a picture of the packaging:
turtle entree.jpg
turtle entree.jpg (19.58 KiB) Viewed 7727 times
1 RES - Yertle (March 31, 2010)
theshupirate07

Post Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:30 am   Re: Questions about National Geographic Aquatic Turtle Entre

Unfortunately, it just looks like another filler-heavy product that National Geographic is using to cash in on the pet business (i.e., the "special National Geographic aquarium substrates"...) Don't get me wrong, I like their work, but I just think entering the pet industry is a bit too much.

That being said, it's probably fine to add to your rotation (albeit a little sugar-y), but it obviously shouldn't be the only pellet your turtle is getting. Especially since there is no Vitamin D3. I know that's supposed to come from your lights, but I just like seeing it on the ingredients list anyways.
Jeremiah

Post Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:24 am   Re: Questions about National Geographic Aquatic Turtle Entre

Not something I would feed my turtles. I like Omega One and mix in some Hikari wheat germ to help with shedding. Every once in a while they get frozen large krill as a treat.
1 Male Mississippi Map/Mississippi
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT White Concentric Female/ Lucky
1 DBT Male/ Spots
(Housed in the same tank)

300 gallon indoor stock tank, FX6 & FX5 filters. Mega-Ray 100w UVB bulb.
Kansasslider

Post Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:43 pm   Re: Questions about National Geographic Aquatic Turtle Entre

I'd avoid too. Just poking around, but nat geo also has MVBs? Weird. They must be rebranding a lot of stuff.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:22 pm   Re: Questions about National Geographic Aquatic Turtle Entre

Steve ~ are you sure they and blue spotted are just rebranding?
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT Male/ Spots

Kansasslider

Post Posted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:28 pm   Re: Questions about National Geographic Aquatic Turtle Entre

No, but I would imagine it takes a lot to correctly manufacture MVBs. Back in the day, Mega-Ray and T-Rex were made in the same factory. Those were arguably the most popular ones at the time. Since I think it's a small market for these products, and you have to consider protecting your brand, it would make sense to rebrand ones from a decent bulb.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:44 pm   Re: Questions about National Geographic Aquatic Turtle Entre

Megaray? It would be nice to know what brand! Question is how to figure that out.
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT Male/ Spots

Kansasslider

Post Posted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:49 pm   Re: Questions about National Geographic Aquatic Turtle Entre

Probably need various samples. Though if their food is not very good, who knows. This could be a case where they license their brand instead.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:36 pm   Re: Questions about National Geographic Aquatic Turtle Entre

Well, its almost time for Stacy's Turtltle care! :-) If I ever win the lottery I promise.
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT Male/ Spots

Kansasslider

Post Posted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:45 pm   Re: Questions about National Geographic Aquatic Turtle Entre

LOL! You'll have my endorsement.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Feeding and Nutrition