Feeding and Nutrition :: New To Turtle Keeping.

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:43 pm   New To Turtle Keeping.

Hello my name is Gen.

I got a red eared slider in October 2014, so about 5 months ago.
My turtles name is Bulbasaur.
I just attempted to measure Bulba, and it said the shell was roughly 9.5cm.
The store keeper said to feed bulba twice a day, keep the lamp and uv light on for 12 hours a day and that all I needed was a tank, basking area, food, a fliter and conditioner for his water.
I clean the tank once a week, and I feed bulba 5-7 pellets twice a day.
The conditioners are suppose to last 40 days but because bulba bites and scratches at it, it only last 1-2 weeks.

My questions are, how much should I be feeding bulba and what do I need for the tank?
geneetaaziz

Post Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:36 pm   Re: New To Turtle Keeping.

Welcome to the forum. Surprisingly, it would seem that a pet store employee actually gave you accurate information without pushing extra sales. With the exception of the "conditioner"--are you referring to liquid dechlorinator, or the "Dr. Turtle" type blocks? Those aren't necessary.

With regard to filters, you will specifically need a canister filter that is rated for 2-3 times the volume of your tank (i.e., a turtle in a 20 gallon tank should have a filter rated for a 40-60 gallon tank. Please note this is different than the GPH a filter can "push").

You might also like to know that you can build a sturdy basking area out of PVC and tile--for other ideas, check out the "Habitats - Indoor" discussion area. No need to buy "special turtle docks" in-store!

If you imagine cutting off Bulbasaur's head and filling it with pellets, that's the amount you can give him every other day. If he's used to eating every day, though, you can transition by feeding 1/4 to 1/2 of a head every day.

Some great information can be found on the main redearslider.com website, too! Be sure to check it out for more care ideas.
Jeremiah

Post Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:22 pm   Re: New To Turtle Keeping.

Thank you very much. I wasnt sure if I was feeding him too much. Now I know to cut down a little. Should I still stick to twice a day or just once every other day?
The conditioner im talking about is those small white blocks shaped like turtles. I was told it would filter out the chlorine and provide calcium for his shell.
geneetaaziz

Post Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:43 pm   Re: New To Turtle Keeping.

You don't need the turtle shaped "conditioners" Do you treat your water with anything else or is it from the tap? And welcome to the site!
1 Male Mississippi Map/Mississippi
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT White Concentric Female/ Lucky
1 DBT Male/ Spots
(Housed in the same tank)

300 gallon indoor stock tank, FX6 & FX5 filters. Mega-Ray 100w UVB bulb.
Kansasslider

Post Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:16 pm   Re: New To Turtle Keeping.

Thanks! Water is from the tap, and i use a fliter for it.
geneetaaziz

Post Posted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:32 am   Re: New To Turtle Keeping.

Jeremiah wrote:Welcome to the forum. Surprisingly, it would seem that a pet store employee actually gave you accurate information without pushing extra sales. With the exception of the "conditioner"--are you referring to liquid dechlorinator, or the "Dr. Turtle" type blocks? Those aren't necessary.

With regard to filters, you will specifically need a canister filter that is rated for 2-3 times the volume of your tank (i.e., a turtle in a 20 gallon tank should have a filter rated for a 40-60 gallon tank. Please note this is different than the GPH a filter can "push").

You might also like to know that you can build a sturdy basking area out of PVC and tile--for other ideas, check out the "Habitats - Indoor" discussion area. No need to buy "special turtle docks" in-store!

If you imagine cutting off Bulbasaur's head and filling it with pellets, that's the amount you can give him every other day. If he's used to eating every day, though, you can transition by feeding 1/4 to 1/2 of a head every day.

Some great information can be found on the main redearslider.com website, too! Be sure to check it out for more care ideas.

Since I feed him twice a day, should I just cut it down to once a day if im cutting him down to 1/2 a head?
geneetaaziz

Post Posted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:00 pm   Re: New To Turtle Keeping.

I'd feed pellets only once a day. Is he being fed anything else?
steve
Site Admin

Return to Feeding and Nutrition