Hi! Introduce yourselves here. :: New Turtle Filter and tank needs. Help!!

Drop a post to say hi. Please ask care questions in the forums below.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:25 pm   New Turtle Filter and tank needs. Help!!

Hello Everyone

I am also a new owner of a 7" slider. I have a question about the right pump and filter. Our tank came a set with a pump/filter hanging of the outside. The part that goes in the water gets clogged on a daily basis. The pump stops working until I clean out the clog. Is there a better solution then cleaning it out everyday? Would a canister filter be a solution or would I have the same problem?

Right now she is a 40 gal tank. Can I squeeze a year out of a tank this size or do I need to go up in size for her to be well taken care of. Any input would be so appreciated.
I want her happy and healthy
Roazbear
Roazbear in Austin
Keeper of Abigail the Redslider
Roazbear

Post Posted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:33 pm   Re: New Turtle Filter and tank needs. Help!!

Welcome to the forum!

Do you know what brand filter it is? Or can you post a picture of the setup? Turtles are very messy compared to fish, so we need equipment that is a little overpowered.

It sounds like the next upgrade in tank size will require a stronger filter. I would probably consider a cheaper filter (there are cheap canisters out there) and replace both when you eventually land a larger tank.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:50 am   Re: New Turtle Filter and tank needs. Help!!

Advice we have seen is that you should have at least 6gallons for each each. We have 4 red sliders the biggest is about 5 inches long. We are lopking at 120 gallon tank upgrade sometime very soon
Maxsdad9

Return to Hi! Introduce yourselves here.