Feeding and Nutrition :: frustrated - what aquatic plant will your RES eat

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:34 pm   frustrated - what aquatic plant will your RES eat

I've tried feeding the following list of aquatic plants, and probably others I can't think of. Some he'll tear at making a mess, but not eating.

Anacharis
Amazon Sword
Water Lily
Duckweed
Japanese Peneywort
Water Hyacinth
Hornwort

so far the one he does eat is Frogbit. I could grow just Frogbit in the tank, but that is such a ware of the tank's real-estate and growing equipment.

oh and snails - ramshorn snails - Thor definitely likes them, so that's it two items.

I really want to grow another plant!

please somebody, what aquatic plants (besides those listed above) will your RES eat?
tjurhs

Post Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:29 pm   Re: frustrated - what aquatic plant will your RES eat

Could you grow the Frogbit in a separate container? I don't have anything to add but I'll love to see if there are others worth trying.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:31 pm   Re: frustrated - what aquatic plant will your RES eat

How about Elodea? My musk turtle, which is from a mainly carnivorous species, even eats it.

As far as RES go, mine aren't too happy with plant food either. They do like some water hyacinth now and then, but that's about it. Oh, well. At least the pond doesn't end up looking like a war zone.

If your turtle refuses to eat vegetables of any kind whatsoever, I recommend trying Hikari Excel for Cichlids or algae wafers. They have the pelleted form that most turtles like, but they have a good amount of vegetable ingredients too.
Jeremiah

Return to Feeding and Nutrition