Feeding and Nutrition :: hand feeding techniques

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:25 am   hand feeding techniques

Sometimes she chomps wildly and ends up on her back, LOL. Not effective.

Lately she puts a little hand on my finger to steady herself and bite. Too cute.

Most effective: I bring the food to her mouth. All she has to do is stay still and open. :)

Interested to read your hand feeding experiences. :msgreen:
Impulse Shopper

Post Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:51 pm   Re: hand feeding techniques

Does using a plastic spoon count? If the pellet or treat is long enough, I can hold it between the nails of my thumb and middle finger and let her grab it. I usually also pull back a little as she approaches. If she misses, she will just brush against my nails.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:14 am   Re: hand feeding techniques

steve wrote:Does using a plastic spoon count?

Sure it counts! I'm chuckling at the days when George had a tablespoon I used to move her from one container to the next! We're a lot less afraid of each other, it seems!

I usually also pull back a little as she approaches. If she misses, she will just brush against my nails.

I have concerns about if George misses when she's bigger with stronger teeth, so I'm glad she's getting her practice in now while she's still small. She's getting real good! Seems she prefers hand fed vs. chasing remnants around the tank (though she does appear to enjoy her scavenger hunting for floating treats as well).

Like the guy at the aquarium said today: "Lucky turtle!" :msgreen: :wink: #spoiled

It seems her hand feeding skills go out the window overnight, for now. She gave a good chomp to my pinky, and was flailing wildly the first bite or so. I guess she gets rusty overnight, LOL. Coupled with over-excitement, LOL.
Impulse Shopper

Post Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:45 pm   Re: hand feeding techniques

Currently, I just dump it into the tank. If I just stand around, my RES wildly flail and get water all over me and the walls.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:35 pm   Re: hand feeding techniques

steve wrote:Currently, I just dump it into the tank. If I just stand around, my RES wildly flail and get water all over me and the walls.

She expects to be hand fed now. If I drop pellets or lettuce in, she totally ignores it, fixated on my fingers. Eventually she'll notice the floating food and pursue it.
Impulse Shopper

Post Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:27 pm   Re: hand feeding techniques

Impulse Shopper wrote:
steve wrote:Currently, I just dump it into the tank. If I just stand around, my RES wildly flail and get water all over me and the walls.

She expects to be hand fed now. If I drop pellets or lettuce in, she totally ignores it, fixated on my fingers. Eventually she'll notice the floating food and pursue it.

My turtle is the same way. If I accidentally drop the food in he just stares at my fingers waiting for food. Even if I try to point to the food and guide him he just keeps looking and my fingers. Spoiled little turtle. :)
Manx~Coheed
Yorkie~Cambria
Turtle~Donatello
AndreaF590

Post Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:37 pm   Re: hand feeding techniques

My spoiled little baby loves to be hand fed if I drop it she gets mad and just stares at me like pick it up.....now lol

1 Female RES named Raphael
75 gallon tank :D
butterflygirl921

Post Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:27 am   Re: hand feeding techniques

AndreaF590 wrote:My turtle is the same way. If I accidentally drop the food in he just stares at my fingers waiting for food. Even if I try to point to the food and guide him he just keeps looking and my fingers. Spoiled little turtle. :)

Hilarious! Very spoiled. It's wonderful.

It's like, I have to feed her something by hand, first. Only then will she go on her scavenger hunt for all the floating stuff.

Too cute. :)

She gets confused, though; which hand is trying to hold her behind still, and which hand has the food. She misses the bites a lot because she's splashing about so wildly, so I hold her still, but I have to bait her with the food first before I can grab her behind, LOL.

butterflygirl921 wrote:My spoiled little baby loves to be hand fed if I drop it she gets mad and just stares at me like pick it up.....now lol

I totally have to retrieve food for her if it falls. Sooooo spoiled. :) And when I'm short time in the morning it's like... Goodness gracious, girl, calm down! She's frenetic when it's feeding time.
Impulse Shopper

Return to Feeding and Nutrition