Feeding and Nutrition :: Food for shedding

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:43 pm   Food for shedding

My little dude looks like he's been trying to shed and I'd like to help him in a healthy way if I can. I've heard that koi pellets with wheat germ can be good? Can you give your turtle some wheat germ you can by at the grocery store?
Manx~Coheed
Yorkie~Cambria
Turtle~Donatello
AndreaF590

Post Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:02 pm   Re: Food for shedding

A little sweet potato. More important though is giving him a good place to bask and dry off. They shed a little at a time, so food and basking need to be ongoing. I have heard of people using other foods like wheat germ just don't know enough to speak to it.
"I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights"
~ "Yertle the Turtle and Other Stories" by Dr. Seuss ~
penelope

Post Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:09 pm   Re: Food for shedding

I gave him some sweet potato the other day but it was kinda tough and I had to brake it into seriously tiny pieces. If they were just a little too big he kept spitting them out and I was paranoid he would choke on the pieces. He does bask regularly where he can get completely dry with heat and UVB. I can just see where the new green color is coming in and it seems like the old scutes aren't coming off. I really don't thing I'm over feeding him or anything. But he's just recently started to noticeably grow so I don't hVe much experience with shedding and I want to make sure he doesn't start to develop pyramiding.
Manx~Coheed
Yorkie~Cambria
Turtle~Donatello
AndreaF590

Post Posted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:51 am   Re: Food for shedding

Shedding and pyramiding are not the same thing. If he's not shedding yet, it would be called retained scutes. Blue berries are also supposedly good for shedding, but I think plenty of basking and UVB help the most. The koi pellets are fine to use and it's good to mix up the diet a little too.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Feeding and Nutrition