Feeding and Nutrition :: traveling

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:46 pm   traveling

We are going to be gone Thursday thru Sunday for Thanksgiving, and I can feed them before we leave on Wednesday night and when we get home Sunday. ..will they be OK for three days with no food or should I find someone to come over? I'm going to throw a couple leaves of leaf lettuce in there right before we go so it will be in there most of Thursday, and it typically takes them two days to eat the rib in the middle of the leaf. So technically, it'll be one full day with nothing to eat., although Friday will be skimpy amounts.
One RES named "The Hulk" (named by my kids. Lol ) 4 1/2" SCL
Rescued July 10, 2014 from a waste water treatment facility.
Joddog

Post Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:24 pm   Re: traveling

I'm very concerned about this, too!

Thanksgiving, no problem: I'm leaving Thursday, so I'll feed her in the morning, and she'll be OK until I get back Friday night.

Her lamp is new; I can't imagine I can leave it on, right? The very thought makes me nervous. I'd rather leave some blinds open, maybe the lid off so she'll get some natural light...

But Christmas is another story: I'm gone Christmas Eve, Wednesday, so I can feed her that morning, but I won't be back until late Saturday night! I'd like to hire someone to stop by Thursday and Friday...
Impulse Shopper

Post Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:29 pm   Re: traveling

We have a timer for the lights, so I'm only worried about the food. You can get a cheap timer at Walmart for the lights.
Joddog

Post Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:05 am   Re: traveling

Thanks, Joddog, for the tip about the timer!

I think we need to check out this site: http://petsitter.com/
Impulse Shopper

Post Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:52 pm   Re: traveling

Lol. If anything, I'll hire the neighbor kid. They have their own turtles.
Joddog

Post Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:47 pm   Re: traveling

Joddog wrote:Lol. If anything, I'll hire the neighbor kid. They have their own turtles.

Well then you have no problem at all.

Can a turtle survive on this for 3 days? I can also float her some extra lettuce (she's a reluctant eater of it, so I don't think she'll eat it in one day).

I just changed her water and the thing had been hidden beneath her stone sculpture castle thing. She's now chomping away at it furiously. Poor thing must have been calcium deprived :cry:
Impulse Shopper

Post Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:27 pm   Re: traveling

I don't think it'll feed her. It's more of a snack. I think extra lettuce or some red bell pepper with the skin on will last a little longer.
Joddog

Post Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:07 pm   Re: traveling

Joddog wrote:I think extra lettuce or some red bell pepper with the skin on will last a little longer.

Thanks for the advice. Just not sure if she'll eat everything in one day...
Impulse Shopper

Post Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:10 pm   Re: traveling

The food plan sounds fine. Missing one day is OK.

As for the calcium block, we don't recommend them because they often contain chemicals and medications. Both can cause long term problems. Try some cuttlebone (w/the backing removed) if they want to nibble on some calcium.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:02 pm   Re: traveling

steve wrote:As for the calcium block, we don't recommend them because they often contain chemicals and medications. Both can cause long term problems. Try some cuttlebone (w/the backing removed) if they want to nibble on some calcium.

OK, thank you! That's her last calcium block, then. Hopefully the removal of the cuttlebone backing is not too tedious. :msgreen:
Impulse Shopper

Post Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:32 am   Re: traveling

For people leaving their turtles for longer periods of time there is a great solution. They make automatic feeders.
Cuttlebone backing isn't too bad to remove just be careful you don't cut yourself.
1 Male Mississippi Map/Mississippi
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT White Concentric Female/ Lucky
1 DBT Male/ Spots
(Housed in the same tank)

300 gallon indoor stock tank, FX6 & FX5 filters. Mega-Ray 100w UVB bulb.
Kansasslider

Post Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:17 pm   Re: traveling

Kansasslider wrote:For people leaving their turtles for longer periods of time there is a great solution. They make automatic feeders.

Automatic feeder. Must find!

George seemed excited to see me when I got back last night. Fed her last night, put the aquarium tank lamp on until I noticed her dozing around 4am, kept a table lamp on while I was away... Gradually moving her to a daytime feeding pattern, so she's eaten a bit today.

Thanks for the tip!

Update: I stopped at the aquarium where I bought George's basking platform and inquired about automatic feeders. The lady who works there scoffed. She doesn't carry them, and she said they're no good because they're messy...? I tried to explain to her that it's just for a couple of days, but she took a call and I was dismissed :?
Impulse Shopper

Post Posted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:24 am   Re: traveling

I'd do a quick search on the forum to see which feeder people like. If it were over a 2 or 3 day period, I would probably set it to feed once. I've heard a few stories about them putting out too much food.

As for the aquarium store... that's a bit ridiculous. I guess she's an expert on the subject.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:32 am   Re: traveling

The Eheim everyday feeder seems like a good choice. Kinda pricy at never $40 but if you don't have anyone that can come feed your turtle it might be a good option.
1 Male Mississippi Map/Mississippi
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT White Concentric Female/ Lucky
1 DBT Male/ Spots
(Housed in the same tank)

300 gallon indoor stock tank, FX6 & FX5 filters. Mega-Ray 100w UVB bulb.
Kansasslider

Post Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:04 pm   Re: traveling

What are these food blocks the lady at the aquarium was showing me today? I enquired about the automatic feeders, she asked how long, I said 3 nights, and she told me to get a block instead to save money.

Is that sufficient nutrition? Will George know it is food? She's only ever gnawed on a turtle shape calcium block (which, she will be having no more of those, of course).

Thank you!
Impulse Shopper

Next

Return to Feeding and Nutrition