Feeding and Nutrition :: feeding them in another conatiner

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:28 pm   feeding them in another conatiner

I just got a 2 baby RES, approximately 2" :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: . Ive read everywhere that you should feed them in a separate container to reduce the mess. I was just wondering, will the constant transfering stress them out too much, especially when they are young. Is there a proper way to transfer them to the other container or is picking them up and transffering them enough?
Main Question: Will the daily handling stress them out? :?: :?:
datturtlelover0115

Post Posted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:04 pm   Re: feeding them in another conatiner

You don't have to use a separate container. You are right, it could stress them out and some are more sensitive than others. It's also not convenient for most keepers but maybe just do it when you offer the occasional messy treat.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:55 am   Re: feeding them in another conatiner

steve wrote:You don't have to use a separate container. You are right, it could stress them out and some are more sensitive than others. It's also not convenient for most keepers but maybe just do it when you offer the occasional messy treat.

I'm not bothered by it at all. I just want to know if it bothers them, or could they get used to it?
datturtlelover0115

Post Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:12 am   Re: feeding them in another conatiner

They will eventually get used to it when they begin to associate it with food. With baby RES, it's more important to get them adjusted to their habitat.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:19 pm   Re: feeding them in another conatiner

George didn't mind it so much. She squirms a lot, not preferring to be held, but she's smart and got a good sniffer. And she knows when feeding time is 7pm (is that too late? I leave at 6am most days and don't have much time until the evening).
Impulse Shopper

Post Posted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:23 pm   Re: feeding them in another conatiner

I usually feed veggies in the morning and pellets at night. The thinking behind this is that they digest better while basking.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:06 am   Re: feeding them in another conatiner

steve wrote:I usually feed veggies in the morning and pellets at night.

Twice a day? Are they babies? I thought I'm to feed George once a day until she's one, then go to every other day... No? :msgreen:
Impulse Shopper

Post Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:21 pm   Re: feeding them in another conatiner

If feeding just once a day, then try in the morning for the reason I mentioned. Mine aren't babies, but they are used to the routine. They get pretty pissed if I'm late :(
steve
Site Admin

Return to Feeding and Nutrition