General Care Discussion :: Fundamentals on Turtle Care

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:40 pm   Re: Fundamentals on Turtle Care

The FX5 is a good choice... you cant go wrong with that filter for a turtle.
VeipaCray

Post Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:44 pm   Re: Fundamentals on Turtle Care

steve wrote:
happycamper wrote:I remember defending my little submersible filter when I first joined this forum...

I hope we were easy on you :)

Hey, I'm still here aren't I? :wink:

VeipaCray wrote:@ happycamper: sorry it was probably me who was poking you about your submersible. :oops:

Hopefully you can see the difference now that you have a proper filter. Hopefully your turtles are healthier as well.

I can't remember who was involved, but I'm sure Sheldon would thank them if he could! The FX5 is amazing.
happycamper

Post Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:48 pm   Re: Fundamentals on Turtle Care

Yeah all i was saying is that for a small turtle a small filter will be fine for the mean time till you can pay for/ get a better one because the they get the bigger the poo ewww lol i should have ben more clear
Pets:
Izzy- 2.5 inch 1 year old cooter turtle
Rizzu- 1 inch 6 months old cooter turtle
Kurby-1.5 inch cooter turtle(R.I.P)
Rebble- 4 year old boxer dog

pics of kurby
http://imgur.com/a/VwYfx#3
kerby

Post Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:53 pm   Re: Fundamentals on Turtle Care

its a good idea to just get the biggest filter possible so you don't have to buy a new filter every couple of months. The same applies to a tank the bigger you go at the start the less money you will spend overall.
http://www.photobucket.com/Toku
Toku's build thread, click link below;
http://www.redearslider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=34068
2 Male Rio Grande RES
1 Spiny Softshell

"Live Life"
slider_keeper

Post Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:05 pm   Re: Fundamentals on Turtle Care

slider_keeper wrote:its a good idea to just get the biggest filter possible so you don't have to buy a new filter every couple of months. The same applies to a tank the bigger you go at the start the less money you will spend overall.

Yep, I have a 55 gallon tank and a Fluval 405 sitting in my garage. Should have gone big from the get go!
happycamper

Post Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:18 pm   Re: Fundamentals on Turtle Care

its all good at least you got what you needed some don't do that
http://www.photobucket.com/Toku
Toku's build thread, click link below;
http://www.redearslider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=34068
2 Male Rio Grande RES
1 Spiny Softshell

"Live Life"
slider_keeper

Post Posted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:37 am   Re: Fundamentals on Turtle Care

I've never been a fan of ehow. Most of the information they provide is useless or outdated. If I'm not mistaken they created some kind of computer algorithm that searched the internet for a topic then it automatically created an ehow page. If it can't create a page then they have users (freelance employees) create them based on popular searches. The users don't even have to know anything about the topic they get paid either way.

I forget what I was searching for I think it was how to get recorded video off of my DVR to my PC. They stated you take the DVR plug it in with an ethernet cable, they even stated you need to have the clip end up and make sure it clicks. Um my ethernet port is sideways and I can't force the plug in that way. They then proceeded to say it would send video over the ethernet so you can record it. Told you to open your computer video program, hit play on the DVR and then hit record on your player. Never mentioned it needed to be a video editing program. I remember doing that back in the day when you have to record to VHS or Cassette, those were the days lol.
All I Want in Life is to be Happy!!
Listen97

Post Posted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:14 pm   Re: Fundamentals on Turtle Care

I'd say thats a pretty accurate assessment of them. User generated content and aggregator sites draw huge amounts of traffic and make a nice profit despite their content. Another thing that bugs me are sites trying to look legit by having you add their link to your site. They usually offer me several links to their sites for just posting one of their links.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:14 pm   Re: Fundamentals on Turtle Care

Hi,

I have a red eared slider that about 13 years old. I live in Chile, South America. For at least the last 5 winters my turtle has spent hibernation at the bottom of her pond, which is about 4 feet deep. My family allowed it to brumate in that pond even when temperatures fell below freezing for most part of the winter and it did fine for years. Now that I am back home and feel that it is dangerous to leave her out there, I took her indoors as soon as it got that cold. I am not sure if i did the right thing or if should have allowed her to brumate like she has done the past years. Now she is inside the house where temp. is bit higher. Should I slowly lead her back to brumation outside? Should I allow her to brumate indoors? or should i start to slowly lead her out of brumation and keep her inside?
kiki123

Post Posted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:55 am   Re: Fundamentals on Turtle Care

I live near Chicago. There are many wild RES in ponds around me. This winter our lows approached -30 celcius and stayed below -20 for days at a time. The RES made it through fine.

This was a very cold winter, but I also don't think the main pond near here is more than 4 or 5 feet deep.

I know RES can brumate with ice covered ponds. I don't have any advice about putting your turtle back out.

Check out

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=32920&p=322881&hilit=Ice#p322881

And you might consider reporting this in the outdoor turtle section.
Tobi a RES born in 2012
1 dog, 1 teenager, 3 aquariums filled with fish, snails, shrimp and a bit of algae
ljapa

Post Posted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:20 am   Re: Fundamentals on Turtle Care

Great thank you so much!
kiki123

Post Posted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:08 am   Re: Fundamentals on Turtle Care

This might have already been discussed, but I wanted to know what is the safest(less stressful) way to clean RES turtle. Specifi, is there anything, chemical I should/shouldn't use? Is there something special I need to use to clean him, I.E, toothbrush, wash cloth?
Thanks in advanced! :)
Mommy of Tophat
1-RES
DaisyDUB

Post Posted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:42 pm   Re: Fundamentals on Turtle Care

It most cases, you don't need to clean the shell. A minimal way would be a damp towel and wipe the shell occassionaly. Scrubbing with a toothbrush is OK, especially if there is a bit of algae on the shell. Sometimes diluted Betadine/Hibiclens is recommended where there are injuries or infections to be dealt with.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:44 pm   Re: Fundamentals on Turtle Care

Submersible is all I can afford right now. Plans on getting a fluval fx6 for my 125 gal
Chaplainman80

Previous

Return to General Care Discussion