Other Turtle Discussion :: Be careful when making online purchases...

Non-care related topics here.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:12 pm   Re: Be careful when making online purchases...

I too got semi ripped off this weekend on a craigslist deal. Lady had listed a 100 gallon tank (had the tank dimensions and everything) but of course no pictures. I go check it out and what do i find? Its a 75 gallon.. Not only did it say 75 show clearly in 2 spots, the tank dimensions she listed were NOWHERE near what the real dimensions were.
She tried to still charge me 100 for the tank and when I told her that was ridiculous she began offering me items she had previously been trying to charge me for. (a never been used 103 fluval filter, some under gravel filter and a few misc bs things.)
Thats when I noticed a few boxes hidden in the corner..
Thats when the only good came out if it. I found 2 brand new unopened glass tops and a brand new unopened light fixture for the tank.
Had I not found those I would have been getting a pretty bad deal from this dumb craigslist seller.
I agree its ultimately up to the buyer to make the decision if the seller is being untruthful about what there selling or not.
You just have to make sure its worth it to you, otherwise walk away. (sometimes this works in your favor causing the seller to offer to let it go for a much cheaper price. Ive had this work a few times so far)
3 RES - George, Mugsy, and Fredo
(Sharing a 80 Gallon tank)
2 Ouachita Maps - Marvin & MaGirk
(sharing a 60 Gallon tank)
1 Pink Belly Side Neck - Pete & 1 Stinkpot Musk - Steve
(Sharing a 29 Gallon tank)
db'sSlider

Post Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:57 pm   Re:

TurtleLover_S&B wrote:Yeah, I'm a little leery on buying stuff online. One time my sister thought she was buying a purse, but they just sent her a picture of the purse, so it wasn't illegal.

lol wow thats funny. Sorry about your sister but its kinda funny...I heard of someone bidding on ebay for the original xbox back then. They sent him a xbox box(what the xbox actually comes in)
60 Gallon
RES Shelly 1 1/2 yrs old
RES Toby 6 months old
Jessemoreno

Post Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:12 pm   Re: Be careful when making online purchases...

Kijiji is where we originially got Tut from and that was a great buy. Since then we have had a few good and a few bad. We have bought upgrade filters online and they were all good but the Rena eventually shot. So we found a 100 gallon tank on Kijiji with a turtle dock, gravel, a filter, fish ornaments and huge lava rocks.A gorgeous all black stand the exact length of the tank as well. We thought it was a great deal, oh and they delivered.

The filter was a Fluval 4Plus, recommended for 50 gallons usually, which is what we were upgrading Tut from. So we have been doing frequent water changes and filter rinses since then (a month and two weeks ago)
there was no top for the tank, gravel was used in it so it needed a heck of a rinse.

But then we bought the most recent filter, the Eheim 2217 on Kijiji, the guy delivered it, set it up for us, showed us there is absolutely no leaks, all part it came with except suction cups, and only for 150. So some are good steals, and some you should just stay aaway from. Hard to tell.
[King Tut] 1 Male RES
[Tiny, NoName Still] 5 African Dwarf Frog
[Dudley] 1 Bearded Dragon (sex unknown still)
[Snails] 3 Apple Snails
R.I.P Frogger, Jumper, and Oscar.
Tasha2455

Post Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:05 am   Re: Be careful when making online purchases...

I love craigslist. Got my solid oak tankstand in really great condition for $45 but brought hubby with me :) and I adopted my res and false map off there too- for free! But again brought one of my older kids with me both times. Of course when we showed up to pick up Nubs, the girl(only 17) brings out a baby snapper as a "bonus". Ugh. Of course my daughters begged me to take it home too. Its cute but REALLY? My 16 yr old had to go out get all new tank set up for it etc cuz I didn't want it in my girls' tank. My res would try to eat it. So my "free" false map ended up costing ....but still I highly recommend adopting off craigslist. Give unwanted turtles a good home :)
Dawn
dandj425

Post Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:38 am   Re: Be careful when making online purchases...

Craigslist is an excellent way to get what you need for a good deal. I do not agree with some opinions that those who sell on craigslist don't have to abide by common morality. No one wants to get screwed, so why screw someone else? (in the buying and selling sense of course ;) ). Anyway I do agree it's risky business unless you do your homework. So far I have purchased my 55 gallon tank and stand as well as my recently acquired filter for a total of $140. Bringing someone along is always a good idea. If what they described doesn't hold truth then bargaining is the way to go. Once your there they just want to get rid of it so sometimes they will become flexible.
Mr.Shenanigans

Post Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:31 pm   Re: Be careful when making online purchases...

I found what seems to be a good deal for a tank on Craigslist. I was wondering if someone with more experience with buying used tanks could check out the listing for me? It says it is a 75 gallon tank with extras for $65/obo, and it has a neat DIY setup for a basking area which my RES really needs seeing as he/she keeps falling off the current spot (medium turtle dock). Could someone take a quick peek at these photos and the listing and see if anything stands out to them as being "not right"? I have an email in to the seller but no response yet. Any specific questions I should ask? I would really appreciate a keener eye on this.

Thanks! :)

listing: http://dayton.craigslist.org/for/3667275744.html
RES - Tubbs
Andibenn

Post Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:48 pm   Re: Be careful when making online purchases...

I'd pass. It's a narrow tank (wider is better for turtles), the built-in land area takes up too much space and the tank looks like it would need a lot of cleaning. You also need to check out the seals otherwise you will have major leaks.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:57 pm   Re: Be careful when making online purchases...

Thanks, I'll keep looking.
RES - Tubbs
Andibenn

Post Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:29 am   Re: Be careful when making online purchases...

Petco occasionally has a $1 per gallon sale... I would hold out for the next one.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:54 pm   Re: Be careful when making online purchases...

Thanks, I just joined their Pals Rewards Club so I will be notified when it comes along :)
RES - Tubbs
Andibenn

Post Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:41 am   Re: Be careful when making online purchases...

Just to spin this the other way a little. :roll: I inherited my turtles from the same place I'm inheriting my insanity: My daughter. She brought them home from a trip to the City with her babysitter. They were about the size of a quarter and in a plastic takeout dish sized container. She was around six, and the sitter bought her the turtles to stop her from begging for more cotton candy. Apparently, like everything else under the sun, somebody in Chinatown has a little cart. From this little old lady with turtles, hermit crabs and tiny ziploks of food new famly members were aquired. :mrgreen: .
The first year the daughter was out in the yard every day looking for slugs and things that the turtles and her garden snake would eat. Since the second year I started to feed them and getting them ever larger tanks. Now they are my turtles and I like what's become of them. But, I remain pleased that our overly paternalistic mayor has made serious efforts to stop the sale of live animals from pushcarts.
The easier it seems, the less you've been paying attention. (& Something about that Occam guy);)
Claynstone

Post Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:16 am   Re: Be careful when making online purchases...

You can report the sellers via 311 (on the phone or online). They are slow to respond, but they will get to it... and sometimes they even do something about it.
steve
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Other Turtle Discussion