Feeding and Nutrition :: Turtle Jello Shots

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Did the jello shots work to your satisfaction?

Yes!
86%
No!
14%

Total votes : 120

Post Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:40 pm   Re: Turtle Jello Shots

If it's the occasional treat, then you might want to use a separate feeding container.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:01 pm   Re: Turtle Jello Shots

steve wrote:If it's the occasional treat, then you might want to use a separate feeding container.

I was actually considering making this a staple diet for him.
1 male RES - Franklin
2 gold fish and 1 silver Fathead Minnow that started out as feeder fish & earned their right to live
3 Leopard Geckos - Gizmo, Snow and Boo
My Build Thread viewtopic.php?f=14&t=33545
MEandYouPhoto

Post Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:12 pm   Re: Turtle Jello Shots

Just made them today and my 3 LOVE em!! I think next time I will read better.. I only added 1/2 cup of veggies so I had to cut a bare spot off..
Squirt (RES)
Squishy (Northern Red Bellied)
Vern (RES)
Morpheus (RES Hatchling)
Neo (RES Hatchling)
Oddie (DBT Yearling)
Gouramies that live with them Peacefully.
The Troops

Post Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:17 am   Re: Turtle Jello Shots

Cut a bare spot off of the jello shot? I'm sure they would have eaten it. ;)
1 RES - A girl named Sheldon
1 feeder fish - affectionately named Fishy - RIP 5/27/12
cutepanda86

Post Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:03 pm   Re: Turtle Jello Shots

I'm a new RES owner and have been doing a lot of reading on different forums for advice on proper nutrition. I made my first batch of jello last night, separated about a weeks worth, and froze the rest. These have been the only form of vegetables one of my turtles will touch! I would love to make these shots a staple part of my turtles' diets, but I recall reading about how frozen vegetables are no good due to thiaminase. In fact, this site's nutrition page specifically states "Although frozen varieties are convenient, they are only acceptable in limited usage. Thiaminase enzymes can develop in frozen greens, which would break down thiamin and result in a Vitamin B1 deficiency."

I tried doing more research on this and found this page: http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/foodnut/09330.html which suggests blanching vegetables before freezing to inactivate the thiaminase. Does anyone have more knowledge on this? Those of you who do use frozen jello shots as your turtle's main vegetable source, can you chime in on your turtle's health? I guess a workaround would just be to make smaller batches and serve fresh, not frozen, but I would love to know if there's really a huge difference. If only my turtle would eat his lettuce!
shi000

Post Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:41 pm   Re: Turtle Jello Shots

cutepanda86 wrote:Cut a bare spot off of the jello shot? I'm sure they would have eaten it. ;)

Im sure they would of! But I dont want them filling up on gelatin before their regular food! :lol:
Squirt (RES)
Squishy (Northern Red Bellied)
Vern (RES)
Morpheus (RES Hatchling)
Neo (RES Hatchling)
Oddie (DBT Yearling)
Gouramies that live with them Peacefully.
The Troops

Post Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:57 pm   Re: Turtle Jello Shots

shi000 wrote:I'm a new RES owner and have been doing a lot of reading on different forums for advice on proper nutrition. I made my first batch of jello last night, separated about a weeks worth, and froze the rest. These have been the only form of vegetables one of my turtles will touch! I would love to make these shots a staple part of my turtles' diets, but I recall reading about how frozen vegetables are no good due to thiaminase. In fact, this site's nutrition page specifically states "Although frozen varieties are convenient, they are only acceptable in limited usage. Thiaminase enzymes can develop in frozen greens, which would break down thiamin and result in a Vitamin B1 deficiency."

I tried doing more research on this and found this page: http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/foodnut/09330.html which suggests blanching vegetables before freezing to inactivate the thiaminase. Does anyone have more knowledge on this? Those of you who do use frozen jello shots as your turtle's main vegetable source, can you chime in on your turtle's health? I guess a workaround would just be to make smaller batches and serve fresh, not frozen, but I would love to know if there's really a huge difference. If only my turtle would eat his lettuce!

Interesting read. Most likely it's not an issue in a well rounded diet. Have you tried using a veggie clip in your tank?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:46 pm   Re: Turtle Jello Shots

The Troops wrote:
cutepanda86 wrote:Cut a bare spot off of the jello shot? I'm sure they would have eaten it. ;)

Im sure they would of! But I dont want them filling up on gelatin before their regular food! :lol:

:lol: This is true.
1 RES - A girl named Sheldon
1 feeder fish - affectionately named Fishy - RIP 5/27/12
cutepanda86

Post Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:46 pm   Re: Turtle Jello Shots

steve wrote:Interesting read. Most likely it's not an issue in a well rounded diet. Have you tried using a veggie clip in your tank?

Not yet. I just rescued my two turtles from a relative who didn't care for them properly. I haven't set up their permanent tank yet since they are both recovering from moderate shell rot meaning dry docking for about 20 hours a day. In this case, I didn't think a veggie clip would make much a difference?
shi000

Post Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:25 am   Re: Turtle Jello Shots

Most people I have recommended it to have said it worked. The Jello shot might be more useful when creating a supplement rich treat.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:27 am   Re: Turtle Jello Shots

Our turtles LOVE the jello shots! Morla will eat the right out of my hand and then carry it off. My problem is now I have gone through 2 blenders. Ours, and my friends. =( Make sure you have a really really good food processor.
I made a youtube video of them enjoying them! The link is.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijgxjSdUjEY =)
AmberEve

Post Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:02 pm   Re: Turtle Jello Shots

I just tried this last night and Fred loves these jello shots! A lot easier and less messy than tossing in veggies into the tank.

AmberEve I think your running your blenders too dry. Blender need liquid to work, you might want to chop everything up a little smaller and add some water. A food processor will be better for solids but it will not reduce everything into a fine puree.
devilduck

Post Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:30 pm   Re: Turtle Jello Shots

I use the Ninja blender when making these... works like a champ.
VeipaCray

Post Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:00 am   Re: Turtle Jello Shots

Did you get that Ninja on Woot!? I think I finally broke my addiction to their site.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:20 am   Re: Turtle Jello Shots

No I got the Ninja locally at a Bed Bath and Beyond store with one of those 20% off coupons you can print when you register on their website. Yes woot is quite addictive. I've purchased many bags of crap and other random things from them.
VeipaCray

PreviousNext

Return to Feeding and Nutrition