Other Turtle Discussion :: Are RES legal in your state/country?

Non-care related topics here.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:11 pm   Re: Are RES legal in your state/country?

Yep, I've seen turtles for sale at Petsmart where I live, so likely they're not illegal. Not sure about someone unauthorized to sell them though.
Kamoodle

Post Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:28 am   Re: Are RES legal in your state/country?

In India for RES there is no complications it's not listed in wildlife protection act 1972.
i will surely paste a link here, describing it.
apexKBC

Post Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:35 am   Re: Are RES legal in your state/country?

Do anyone have Star turt there its banned in India & is strictly prohibited as pets as well as exporting it.
Star turtle image link
http://www.google.co.in/imgres?hl=en&bi ... ,s:8,i:136

http://www.google.co.in/imgres?hl=en&bi ... x=94&ty=94
apexKBC

Post Posted: Sat May 19, 2012 6:50 pm   Re: Are RES legal in your state/country?

In the United States, it is illegal to sell a turtle under 4" "in connection with a business" for public distribution as a pet except for "bona fide... educational purposes.....". That means that "hobbyists" can sell baby turtles, but not a business. And, trying to give away a baby slider with the purchase of a tank or set-up is still considered "public distribution" and is thus illegal, and a pet store trying to sell them for "educational purposes" is also breaking the law - the FDA does not consider a pet store to be for "bona fide...educational purposes". I've seen a memo from the FDA to a pet store in Florida telling them they were in violation of the law even though the store was trying to sell the baby turtles for educational purposes only.

Also, red-eared sliders are NOT native to the east coast. They are not native to Pennsylvania or New York or Maryland. They are not even native to Florida or North Carolina. Yellowbellied sliders are native to the east coast, though, from VA to FL.
Katrina

Post Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:43 pm   Re: Are RES legal in your state/country?

jols_navarra wrote:Country: Philippines
General Status: Legal to sell and own at any size (and unfortunately pet store owners give out incorrect or incomplete information about proper care of turtles :( )
Wildlife Status: Invasive

i agree with you. i've managed to talk with one employee of Bio Research North edsa. he said that the hatchlings were bred in the main office in paranaque city, and then distributed to the branches in metro manila. the 4 hatchlings i found on this branch are confined in a small tank, with no adequate light and with lots and lots of gravel. the staff seemed indifferent to this scene. business as usual, i suppose.
FAREWELL DUMBORK
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=36799

follow my blog: dumbork.wordpress.com
youtube: pawii29

pictures and video
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=32931
dumbork14

Post Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:40 pm   Re: Are RES legal in your state/country?

Kamoodle wrote:Yep, I've seen turtles for sale at Petsmart where I live, so likely they're not illegal. Not sure about someone unauthorized to sell them though.

I thought that Texas required a permit to sell red-eared sliders? I could be wrong, but that's the way the TX regs read to me.

Katrina
Katrina

Post Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:26 pm   Re: Are RES legal in your state/country?

State: Indiana
General Status: Native species.
Captive status: limit is 4. Cannot be transported in or out of state. Cannot be sold or purchased.
Wildlife status: Can be taken from wild with valid fishing license. Cannot be captured on DNR property.

http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/files/fw ... ns2008.pdf

PDF is from 2008 but matches the 2012 regulations
Tobi a RES born in 2012
1 dog, 1 teenager, 3 aquariums filled with fish, snails, shrimp and a bit of algae
ljapa

Post Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:34 pm   Re: Are RES legal in your state/country?

Illegal in Norway - Legal in Sweden i believe that goes for most lizards (reptiles) and Turtles! Snakes and spiders/scorpions are allowed in both i think :)
Mattstew182

Post Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:46 pm   Re: Are RES legal in your state/country?

Red eared sliders were listed as an invasive species here in Idaho last Feb. 29th 2012. I am supposed to apply for a possession permit, supposedly I will be "grandfathered" in. I am kind of nervous though, I am not sure how often they deny people?? http://www.agri.idaho.gov/Categories/En ... Permit.pdf
happycamper

Post Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:18 am   Re: Are RES legal in your state/country?

To be honest, I would be nervous about that too.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:00 am   Re: Are RES legal in your state/country?

I am from Malaysia, I get my 4 RES from my friend. His's cousin who owned a pet shop had declared bankruptcy, so he is helping his cousin to "cleared" all the animals stock... But he thinks that was very pity to those captive animals, so he choose to present them all to our colleagues, and so we all are taking good cares of those "abandoned" animals.

Here, i would like to ask, is those RES are illegally from nowhere? I care my RES really much, and they do really gave me a lots of fun when owning them. If they are illegally existed, am i need to find a proper association to keep them? But is quite hard for me to leaving them to another party... Am i still be ok to keep them?

Thank you for answer me~
Just a RES Lover.
4 Tortoises

Post Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:23 am   Re: Are RES legal in your state/country?

You will need to find out your local laws. They are are classified as invasive and banned in many countries, so I would not say anything unless you are sure you can legally keep them.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:23 am   Re: Are RES legal in your state/country?

Ok, thank you very much.
Just a RES Lover.
4 Tortoises

Post Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:36 pm   Re: Are RES legal in your state/country?

Oliver2011 wrote:In Ontario, Canada, they had banned for the longest time the sale of RES whatever they're size. However, it has been quite a few years now since they lifted that ban. Now RES can be sold freely and to my knowledge, there is no restrictions on the size of the turtle to be sold.

I got my hatchling for 45$ at Big Al's

$45? I live in toronto and i got my hatchlings for $10-15!
ignites

Post Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:51 pm   Re: Are RES legal in your state/country?

In Canada, you are not allowed to buy or sell turtles (aka: Alberta, British Colombia) however, you are permitted to own turtles. in some provinces, the sale and purchase of turtles is legal (aka: Ontario)
RIP (December 25- February 3)Aqua
RIP (December 8- February 4) Turquoise
RIP 1 guinea pig- Maple Sugar
RIP (idr-idk) 2 shrimp- Glutton & Dancer
Triops longicadatus - Anthera
Aqua&turquoise

PreviousNext

Return to Other Turtle Discussion