General Care Discussion :: History of Curing a Turtle's Shell

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:59 am   Re: History of Curing a Turtle's Shell

What PH test did you use for him? My RES has what looks like the white calcium spots and he really needs a good shed. I know everyone says you have to wait but is there any way to speed it up a little?

Is the UVB light to help digest the calcium so they don't get the white spots?

We have one, but I think it needs a replacement it is just I am not completely sure what wattage bulbs to get.
[King Tut] 1 Male RES
[Tiny, NoName Still] 5 African Dwarf Frog
[Dudley] 1 Bearded Dragon (sex unknown still)
[Snails] 3 Apple Snails
R.I.P Frogger, Jumper, and Oscar.
Tasha2455

Post Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:30 am   Re: History of Curing a Turtle's Shell

Hello. My turtle have the same shell problem - fungus. Its the third day that he's dry docking (only 4 hours of the day he's in the water) and i use Betadine to desinfection problem areas. But i can't find and buy silver sulfadiazine here, cause i'm not from US..I'm from Europe. So does anybody know something other that can help my turtle and it's possible to buy in europe :?:
2x Trachemys Scripta Scripta
Sharky

Post Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:53 am   Re: History of Curing a Turtle's Shell

This thread is a few years old, so if you don't get a satisfactory response you might want to start a new thread.

I think even here in the US to get silver sulfadiazine you need a prescription from a vet. You might be able to find it online also. N
VeipaCray

Post Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:59 pm   Re: History of Curing a Turtle's Shell

Yup, you can get it online and it could be under a different name. It's a topical sulfonamide/silver antibacterial cream and there are various skin care products that use the active ingredients but I don't have any information on their effectiveness.

How severe is the condition? If it's progressed, then dry docking might not be very effective. Can you post a picture of the infection?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:50 am   Re: History of Curing a Turtle's Shell

Thanks for the replies.
in our state i find this: http://drugbase.org/drugs/drug_details.php?drugid=1659
Is it possible to use on turtle's shell ?

I'm Sory but I can't post any pictures cause all photos taken by my camera are blurred and it won't help you. But the shell of my turtle looks like in pictures on first page but there are little bit less white areas. And i aslo bought better UVB lamp so i hope that will help.
2x Trachemys Scripta Scripta
Sharky

Post Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:31 pm   Re: History of Curing a Turtle's Shell

I haven't heard of Dermazin before. You might want to ask a vet where you are for what brands they carry.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:43 pm   Re: History of Curing a Turtle's Shell

hmmm....why does it seem that the more i learn about turtles, the more paranoid i get about mr. turtle? now i am surveying his/her shell.....(honestly, how in the world can i be expected to pick up on these subtle shell deviations when i cannot even sex my own turtle? if mr. turtle is indeed "ms." turtle, then i am going to wonder evermore whether or not he/she has eggs stuck inside of her and that she is a ticking time bomb....funny (not "ha-ha" funny, but "odd" funny...)...furthermore, ever since i read that really sad, sad story of the member whose turtle drowned, i freak out when turtle is sleeping quite a=okay and wake him up just to make sure he is not dead.....what's a mother to do? i know,,,,relax....but i guess i just don't want to go through his/her life ignorant and possibly overlook something that puts him/her in harm's way.....how can i describe the full range of feeling i have mustered up for a turtle (who'd a thunk it???) if only turtle would sneeze or do something grossly obvious that i could relate to ....but alas, i have to just study, read, digest, ask, learn....and hope that i don't make a huge faux pas along the way.....(sigh)....also when i saw spotsmama holding spot, of course i was wildly envious.....i have only held turtle once when transferring tanks .... and we were not as close as we are now....all i got was a rather perturbed look and a hiss.....i think now it might be too late, but i want to try to figure out how to start .... especially if leaving the tank would be of benefit to his overall general vigor.....i hesitate because i am afraid, quite frankly (and this is the girl who has lived in washington, d.c., baltimore, md., atlanta, ga and now the lbc and jaunts around mindlessly and fearlessly, but hesitates to pick up her favorite guy/gal....i don't want turtle to freak....and i am a bit jumpy myself....don't say "hi" to me when i am up on a ladder painting the eaves of the second story of a house....if you do, ..... yes, i will startle and fall off....truly ... i can't tell you how many times that has happened!!! so, i have asked a friend who works at petco and also has her own aquarium maintenance service to come by and look turtle over.....and help me introduce him/her to something new -- the world outside of the tank!! the 55g tank is way way too cramped and i might be getting a 120 g. acrylic tank for free (skeptical, i am) today or tomorrow....that way i am certain the 4 remaining goldfish (now carp) will have a better chance of survival....and i was toying with the idea of a "bunkie" for turtle, but after i read all the info on the site, i think it comes down to my screwed up ideology that the turtle is lonely.....(funny, though, i am single and don't have the slightest interest in even dating....but i think the turtle is lonely...((maybe too many plummets from the eaves???))) hmmmm.....

not only that, but i don't have a top screen and i know that will have to change as soon as turtle realizes there is life beyond the constructs of four walls....but maybe he is "institutionalized" now....i will have had him 3 years this october (31st...i almost named him "spooky", but that was a little hokie....) so i guess he was about 5-6 months when i purchased him? is that about right?

well, if anyone has words of wisdom....(not for me....for the turtle -- haha!!) please feel free to hit me with your best shot...so to speak...but may i just say thank you to everyone who contributes information on this site because i feel so fortunate to have all your input to help me become "turtle terrific" so to speak....

ok, well, i am going to go back to reading and learning,,,and smiling at all the people who share the affection that i have for this wonderous creature that i was so fortunate to have crossed paths with .....

: ) mary
mr.turtle

Post Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:21 pm   Re: History of Curing a Turtle's Shell

You can't watch over them 24 hours a day... it would be great to inspect the skin and shell regularly, even if it's just through the glass. Is there a place outdoors or at home where you can let your turtle roam around (under supervision)?

I hope you do get a free tank, that would be fantastic!
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:37 pm   Re: History of Curing a Turtle's Shell

is SILVER SULFADIAZINE some kind of burn ointment? cause that is all i can find when I search for it.
kicker544

Post Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:45 am   Re: History of Curing a Turtle's Shell

That is one of it's main uses.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:58 am   Re: History of Curing a Turtle's Shell

You are such a dedicated turtle mom, spot would tell you that he <3 you!!!
RIP (December 25- February 3)Aqua
RIP (December 8- February 4) Turquoise
RIP 1 guinea pig- Maple Sugar
RIP (idr-idk) 2 shrimp- Glutton & Dancer
Triops longicadatus - Anthera
Aqua&turquoise

Post Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:17 am   Re: History of Curing a Turtle's Shell

so where do you buy the stuff?
Vatoloco13

Post Posted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:52 am   Re: History of Curing a Turtle's Shell

Silver Sulfadiazine requires a prescription from a vet.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue May 21, 2013 5:47 pm   Re: History of Curing a Turtle's Shell

AMAZING!!!! :D I hope Delilah gets that pretty :)
Visit my blog! http://trailerparkturtles.wordpress.com/

Trachemys scripta elegans:
Sandy - m - 6"
Bubbles - m - 4.5"
Jimmy - f - 6.75"
Blacky - f - 7.5"
Goliath - f - 7.75"

Chrysemys picta picta:
Squirt - 3"
jgreerberube

Post Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:36 am   Re: History of Curing a Turtle's Shell

wow so happy for this turtle!