Urgent Care :: Tragic loss

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Mon May 30, 2005 4:57 pm   Tragic loss

Hi,
I had two turtles just die Sunday.
I am still extremely emotional shaken up over their passing.

The poor turtles were in a pool that me and my fiancee had put together to let them get some outdoors time. Well while we were eating her nephews chocolate lab started messing with the turtles and cracked the carapace of the two around their heads. One was bleeding while the other was not.
I was so mad it was all I could do to keep from chasing the dog down and exacting revenge for my turtles.

My fiancee is upset over loosing our babies but feels that we should just let it go.
I am still however so mad over the fact that the mut is allowed to still wander free and was not put down for killing our pets.

I told her and her parents that had we owned a dog that killed their lab then nobody would be taking such a relaxed attitude about it.
Steve
supernix

Post Posted: Mon May 30, 2005 6:38 pm   

I am so sorry to hear this. It makes me very sad at the whole situation. I hope you get to feeling better and again Im so sorry for your loss. ~SweetJean~
~SweetJean~

Post Posted: Mon May 30, 2005 8:37 pm   

Thanks,

I am still working on dealing with the whole situation.
My fiancee is still telling me I have to get over it but I keep seeing them splashing around when we came over to feed them. I wish now that I would have photographed them more and done some videos of them.
Steve
supernix

Post Posted: Mon May 30, 2005 9:01 pm   

I'm so sorry for your loss. Hon, I know you're angry and sad, but putting that dog down will only make you feel worse. He was just doing what dogs do. He probably just thought he was playing. Keep him out of your yard, and put a fence up around the pond if you decide to get more turtles. How big were your babies?

Again, sorry for your loss, but please don't be mad at the dog. He didn't know any better {{{HUGS}}}
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Mon May 30, 2005 9:29 pm   

I got three RES for my fiancee when they were just hatchlings at the local flea market and that was almost a year ago or more. They were roughly around 2 1/2" - 3" long.

:cry:
Steve
supernix

Post Posted: Mon May 30, 2005 9:31 pm   

:cry: poor lil guys
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Mon May 30, 2005 11:07 pm   

some very sad posts recently. unforunately it is a future in-law to blame.. sorry there's no justice for what happened.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon May 30, 2005 11:47 pm   

I am sorry for your loss, I hope you feel better soon. :(
STRAYKINGFISHER

Post Posted: Tue May 31, 2005 1:18 pm   

You post really saddens me and I'm really sorry for your loss. It also adds to my feeling that turtles and other animals don't mix, no matter how well they may seem to get along. In the future, if you do get other turtles and want to keep them in a pool outside unsupervised, make the pool as predator-proof as possible--cover the top with a screen or hardware cloth so other animals can't get at them. They'll be able to enjoy the sun and be safer than they'd be out in the open.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:07 am   

I'm really sorry about your loss as well:(
My turtle died as well, but I only had her (i think it's a "her") for a short time, so it wasn't as painful.
Jane

Return to Urgent Care