General Care Discussion :: Fundamentals on Turtle Care

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:12 am   Fundamentals on Turtle Care

I ran across this on the web. It's a small video series on getting started as a new 'parent'
http://www.ehow.com/videos-on_5474_care-turtles.html

Note: it doesn't open in a new window, so you may want to copy and paste the address on a new tab (otherwise, you'll have to back track to this forum) :mrgreen:
"I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights"
~ "Yertle the Turtle and Other Stories" by Dr. Seuss ~
penelope

Post Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:16 pm   Re: Fundamentals on Turtle Care

Thanks for posting this! I pulled out the links incase someone is just searching for one or two particular videos.

Series Summary
Turtles might not be the high-energy pets that cats and dogs are, but they require just as much care to their environment and diet to live long and happy lives. Turtles are among the oldest reptile species, and when cared for properly, a turtle can have a very long lifespan. This should definitely be taken into account if you've considered owning a turtle or giving a turtle as a gift.

If you're looking for tips and advice about turtle ownership, our expert Sarah Tingle offers a wealth of information on basic turtle care, including feeding tips, safe handling procedures and much more. In this series of free video clips, you'll learn everything you need to know about owning a turtle, including where to purchase or adopt a turtle, how to identify a healthy turtle, and tips on setting up the ideal lighting and temperature for your turtle's environment.

Turtle Tank Filtration Systems
Learn tips on how to purchase and set up a turtle tank filtration system in this free animal care video clip.

Veterinarian Visits for Turtles
Get advice on health check-ups for a pet turtle, including how to find a reptile veterinarian and when to have your turtle examined, in this free animal care video clip.

Turtle Sanitation: Washing your Hands
Learn the importance of sanitation, health, and how to properly wash your hands after handling your pet turtle in order to avoid salmonella in this free animal care video clip.

Buying a Pet Turtle
Learn tips on where to purchase or adopt a pet turtle, and what to look for when choosing or buying a turtle in this free animal care video clip.

Costs of Owning a Turtle
Get information on the financial cost of owning and keeping a pet turtle, including housing, feeding and medical care in this free how to video clip.

Identifying a Healthy Turtle
Learn how to identify the signs of a healthy turtle when purchasing or adopting a pet turtle in this free animal care video clip.

Outdoor Turtle Enclosures
Learn tips on how to set up an outdoor enclosure for your pet turtle, including lighting, filtration and safety in this free animal care video clip.

Feeding Your Pet Turtle
Learn tips on when and what to feed your pet turtle and how to maintain basic dietary requirements in this free animal care video clip.

Heating a Turtle Tank
Learn tips on how to properly heat and monitor the temperature of a turtle tank or enclosure in this free animal care video clip.

Cleaning the Turtle Tank
Learn tips on how to properly clean a turtle tank in this free animal care video clip.

Turtle Health Problems
Learn about potential health problems, medical issues, and contacting your veterinarian for your pet turtle in this free how to video clip.

Keeping Your Pet Turtle Safe from Other Animals
Learn tips on keeping your pet turtle safe from other animals and pets in this free how to video clip.

How to Identify a Sick Turtle
Learn to recognize and identify the signs and symptoms of a sick turtle in this free how to video clip.

Turtle Lifespan & Hibernation Habits
Learn about the lifespan and hibernation habits of your pet turtle in this free how to video clip.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:03 am   Re: Fundamentals on Turtle Care

sticky material or no?
"I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights"
penelope

Post Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:03 am   Re: Fundamentals on Turtle Care

Yes!

Though just a disclaimer for anyone new... I have not reviewed all the material so opinions/content will vary from what's on this site. Multiple sources of information is a good thing, look to other sites and reference materials to expand your knowledge. Read, learn, experience and share. :)
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:31 am   Re: Fundamentals on Turtle Care

Those E-How videos are not really the best advice, stick to the advice on this website. She doesn't even recommend the right tank sizes.
TurtleWisdom

Post Posted: Wed May 16, 2012 1:29 pm   Re: Fundamentals on Turtle Care

I just watched the filtration one - first one on the list and she's holding up an AquaClear 30 filter. Not sure what she's planning on filtering with that tiny thing....
VeipaCray

Post Posted: Thu May 17, 2012 2:46 am   Re: Fundamentals on Turtle Care

Then maybe trash the sticky?
Two negatives in row?
I've learned alot since then, so...no offense here.
penelope

Post Posted: Thu May 17, 2012 9:00 am   Re: Fundamentals on Turtle Care

@Penelope I've only watched one video so no idea if the rest of them are of any value.

The stickys for the forum will be redone soon. You'll see much of the sticky information get moved to the main site.
VeipaCray

Post Posted: Fri May 18, 2012 1:03 pm   Re: Fundamentals on Turtle Care

There was a spammer who liked it (seriously). I'll try to give some of these videos another look later.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:47 pm   Re: Fundamentals on Turtle Care

I have a AQUEON QuietFlow 10 for a 20 gallon tank and my baby yellow slider ate 4 guppy fish and the water was only murky for a night and its back to crystal clear so for a small turtle those cheep filters seem to work fine. lol have to add my thought ;)
Pets:
Izzy- 2.5 inch 1 year old cooter turtle
Rizzu- 1 inch 6 months old cooter turtle
Kurby-1.5 inch cooter turtle(R.I.P)
Rebble- 4 year old boxer dog

pics of kurby
http://imgur.com/a/VwYfx#3
kerby

Post Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:21 pm   Re: Fundamentals on Turtle Care

clear water doesn't = clean water. Do you know your ammonia / nitrite / nitrate levels?
VeipaCray

Post Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:49 pm   Re: Fundamentals on Turtle Care

I remember defending my little submersible filter when I first joined this forum...
happycamper

Post Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:49 pm   Re: Fundamentals on Turtle Care

happycamper wrote:I remember defending my little submersible filter when I first joined this forum...

I hope we were easy on you :)
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:02 am   Re: Fundamentals on Turtle Care

@ happycamper: sorry it was probably me who was poking you about your submersible. :oops:

Hopefully you can see the difference now that you have a proper filter. Hopefully your turtles are healthier as well.
VeipaCray

Post Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:17 pm   Re: Fundamentals on Turtle Care

No i don't but hopefully my FX5 filter deal comes thru then there is no poking fun lol
Edit: and no i should probably test it :/
Pets:
Izzy- 2.5 inch 1 year old cooter turtle
Rizzu- 1 inch 6 months old cooter turtle
Kurby-1.5 inch cooter turtle(R.I.P)
Rebble- 4 year old boxer dog

pics of kurby
http://imgur.com/a/VwYfx#3
kerby

Next

Return to General Care Discussion