Feeding and Nutrition :: Collard Greens!

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:19 pm   Collard Greens!

How I love thee, Collard Greens! Touche is pretty picky, and really only likes dandelion greens, so I have trouble getting her to eat veggies when they're not stocked at the local grocery store. So yesterday I bought some collard greens, instead of Mustard greens (she hated those- just chewed them up and spit them out), and offered them to her. After only a small amount of investigation she started mowing the greens down.

Also I gave her a small amount of tomato, and blue berries because she's having trouble finishing shedding.

Is that all OK? I was reading on the "What to feed your RES" sticky and it didn't mention blue berries- but I figured it was OK occasionally.
Touche the Turtle

Post Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:59 pm   Re: Collard Greens!

im no expert but from what ive heard on this thread fruit is okay as an occasional treat, but due to the amount of sugar it should only be offered about once/month, Kaya LOVES strawberries.

And im not totally sure about tomatos, i dont think it would be a problem if its not a main part of their diet. I offered a piece of tomato to Kaya the other day, i didnt think she would be interested but she didnt even hesitate to grab it out of my hand, the peice was kinda big so I tried to take some back but she just swallowed the whole piece!
Tokapeli

Post Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:05 pm   Re: Collard Greens!

um...

Use rarely (Not a staple)
These items have little benefit compared to other options. They may serve as filler material, a “treat”, or to add variety. These should not be offered in an unbalanced diet. They may be potentially harmful if offered in excessive quantities. Limit the amount of collards (Brassica group) offered.
Collards (various)
Iceberg lettuce
Mustard greens
Red pepper
Tomato
Cap-hits, not Cafits.
Caphits

Post Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:02 pm   Re: Collard Greens!

Caphits wrote:um...

Use rarely (Not a staple)
These items have little benefit compared to other options. They may serve as filler material, a “treat”, or to add variety. These should not be offered in an unbalanced diet. They may be potentially harmful if offered in excessive quantities. Limit the amount of collards (Brassica group) offered.
Collards (various)
Iceberg lettuce
Mustard greens
Red pepper
Tomato

Oh really? I read that Collard greens and Mustard were OK for staple greens in the "What TO feed your RES" sticky- which is actually WHY I bought them yesterday. :( The Iceberg and red pepper I never offer, and the tomato just this one time.
Touche the Turtle

Post Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:06 pm   Re: Collard Greens!

The sticky was written a long time ago by someone else. You can still use what you bought, but not as much. :(
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:14 pm   Re: Collard Greens!

Thanks or the clarification. It seems like she only likes things I'm not supposed to feed her.
Touche the Turtle

Post Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:03 pm   Re: Collard Greens!

Touche the Turtle wrote:It seems like she only likes things I'm not supposed to feed her.

Get used to it :) I'll be updating those stickies myself soon.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:54 pm   Re: Collard Greens!

Yeah, I guess turtles are no different than us. I only like things that are bad for me. :)
Touche the Turtle

Post Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:42 pm   Re: Collard Greens!

Picked up some red leaf lettuce, she seems to like that more than she ever did the romane, or green leaf. So maybe the collard greens convinced her to try more green delicious things? :) Also I'm still feeding her tiny chunks of tomato, sweet potato and blue berries every few days, because she hasn't finished shedding yet (still ike 6 stubborn scrutes). Any other shed helpful diet tips?
Touche the Turtle

Post Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:58 pm   Re: Collard Greens!

Mine also loves red leaf. She eats pretty good if she eats red leaf, green leaf and dandelion. Just alternate them. For shedding the natural sun works wonders. If you can take her outside for 15 minutes a day, supervised, it will probably speed things up.
Stupid is as stupid does. - Forest Gump
The only dumb question is one not asked.
Love of Animals

Post Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:38 pm   Re: Collard Greens!

Do you have trouble finding Dandelion greens? I used to get it all of the time (cause she loves it), but now none of my local grocery stores stock it (I'm in Los Angeles).

I'll have to take her over to the in-laws house and let her stretch her legs outside, our appartment doesn't have any where she could safely play.
Touche the Turtle

Post Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:03 pm   Re: Collard Greens!

My supermarket carries dandelion and I pick them from the yard. Try a fruit and vegetable store they should carry it. If not there are other things to try, like water plants. Hornwort, Anacharis, frog bit and water lettuce are a few. You should be able to get them at your local pet store or on line. Most turtles love anacharis.
Stupid is as stupid does. - Forest Gump
The only dumb question is one not asked.
Love of Animals

Post Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:30 pm   Re: Collard Greens!

Try looking in Asian supermarkets for dandelion greens.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:13 pm   Re: Collard Greens!

OK- I think there's one near me. Also I was considering going to Whole Foods even though it'd probably be pricey.
Touche the Turtle

Post Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:29 pm   Re: Collard Greens!

Holly crap, I just bought a 99 cent pack of the\is for my babies, based on the what to feed your turtles, they are tearing it up. First time on veggies. Is spinich ok? What is ok that would be stocked usually at walmart for not a lot of cash?
Starscream

Next

Return to Feeding and Nutrition