General Care Discussion :: Turtle Weight Survey

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:03 pm   Turtle Weight Survey

So I recently got a kitchen scale for cooking by weight. Figured I would use it to also keep track of Turbo's weight. That way I can have a better idea when she has eggs and keep an eye on her heath.

Well I found out my Femal RES weighs 40.25 oz and is 7.5" long

This being the first reading it doesn't mean much but not i can chart it. I was thinking since I'm an excel nerd that maybe i could get some data from others and make up a scatter plot to see how out turtle compairs to others. I figure onces and inches would be good unless some one as a good agrument for other units. Propably seperating out male and female would be good.

So if you all give me some data I can make up a fun graph and post it here, and I can repost it as it gets updated. Also i wasn't real sure where to post this so feel free to move it mods.
epond83

Post Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:58 pm   Re: Turtle Weight Survey

Oooh - I like grams (i'm a scientist). I think Tomi is close to 500g. I'll have to check when I get home. 40.25oz?? wow! I'll post later on.
1 RES - Tomi (75 gal)
1 Leopard Gecko - Leia (20 gal)
2 Fancy goldfish, 1 bn pleco (40 gal breeder)
https://www.facebook.com/varboleda6
vear

Post Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:15 pm   Re: Turtle Weight Survey

Well last year when Kingler was at the vet she was 1,626 Grams. Thats just about 3.5 pounds.
1 F RES 9" (Kingler)
1 F Belize Slider 7" (Agamemnon)
My Youtube Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/condorboy1/videos
Linus

Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:24 pm   Re: Turtle Weight Survey

Ok well I guess we can do grams I figured metric might go over better. I also need lengths of shell and gender so this information ca be useful to others! Thanks

Yeah turbo is a big girl 1,140 grams and 19 cm long (shell of coarse) She is about 8 or 9 years old and laying eggs once a year, I don't think she has eggs yet since she usually lays in August, but that is part of why I'm keeping track of her weight.
epond83

Post Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:40 am   Re: Turtle Weight Survey

I should get a gram scale to weigh my babies on. or I'll borrow a small scale from one of my friends. Their shells are two inches now! No clue what they weigh, but it's not very much at all. if I had to guess I'd say like 10 - 20g lol
AllTheCandies

Post Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:22 am   Re: Turtle Weight Survey

I haven't weighed mine yet, though I did get a new scale and will take some measurements next time they're out of the tank.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:31 am   Re: Turtle Weight Survey

Update:

Female RES: 6.75" = 973g
Male RES: 5.25" = 535g

These were taken after they were basking outside for a couple of hours. The male RES was 552g when taken right out of the water. I don't have their previous measurements on hand for comparison.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:11 am   Re: Turtle Weight Survey

Sweet thanks, Once I can get some more data i can post a scatter plot to show average weight per lenght!
epond83

Post Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:19 am   Re: Turtle Weight Survey

Lol, will like to see it. I do consider the girl a bit heavy or slight pudgy and the male has had a host of health issues when he was a hatchling. He's better but still feels underweight with some shell deformity.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:09 am   Re: Turtle Weight Survey

Sad, glad to hear he's a little better. That is the main i reason i wanted to do this, so people can see a chart of about where their turtle's weight should be compaired to it's lenght.

So far i only have 3 data points, one male and two female. I need weight and lenght to make a point, one with out the other is meaningless.

Thanks!
epond83

Post Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:01 pm   Re: Turtle Weight Survey

Alright, so this took me long enough - sorry about that.
Male RES
Length: ~5.75 inches
Weight: 444 grams
1 RES - Tomi (75 gal)
1 Leopard Gecko - Leia (20 gal)
2 Fancy goldfish, 1 bn pleco (40 gal breeder)
https://www.facebook.com/varboleda6
vear

Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:00 pm   Re: Turtle Weight Survey

Hello, I have 2 hatchling(about 6mos old) red ear slider femails(?). They were almost the same size when my 6yo DD and I rescued them from a oriental bodega last fall. When Shelly started growing much faster than Kelly I started keeping a weight/length chart for them each, and separating them to eat. So I have ^ months worth of charting of young red ears, including pictures of each. There is too much detail to post but I can make it available to you by way of email, please let me know.

PolDurna
polDurna1

Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:22 pm   Re: Turtle Weight Survey

What format are the charts in? It would be interesting to see what you have.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:01 pm   Re: Turtle Weight Survey

ok, so I just found the attachment upload, and then I realized how old this thread is. Glad you answered and asked, Origionally they were in excel, I just C&P to a word .docx just the growth charts in one file and it still will not accept it. so I converted it in compatability to .doc, but apparently that is not allowed either.

polDurna1
polDurna1

Post Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:04 pm   Re: Turtle Weight Survey

Attachments are for images only. You can email it to me, and I can link it from the site... if thats OK for you. There is another survey thread that had more updates, I would need to track that down or maybe merge them.
steve
Site Admin

Next

Return to General Care Discussion