Urgent Care :: bump on back of neck/head

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Mon May 23, 2005 3:27 pm   bump on back of neck/head

I've noticed a small bump on the side/top of my baby res' neck/head, after reading some posts i thought it was an ear infection, but then i looked at pictures of turtles with an infection and i'm not sure thats it, because the bump looks more on top then on the side, any ideas what it is?
meNsammy

Post Posted: Mon May 23, 2005 3:30 pm   

Can you post a pic--that would really help. An ear infection is on the side of the head, in the general area of the red streaks. But it possibly could be an abcess, and they can occur anywhere on the turtle. Try to post a pic...
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Mon May 23, 2005 3:45 pm   

this isn't the best pic but he wouldn't stop moving so its the best i could get
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y154/m ... turtle.bmp
i'm not sure why it wont show up so i just put the url
meNsammy

Post Posted: Mon May 23, 2005 3:55 pm   

Cute little turt. The bump is difficult for me to see--all I see is a whitish area. Is the skin broken? How long has he had it? Has it grown since you first noticed it?

On the chance it's an ear infection, I'd take him in to a herp vet to be checked out just in case.
Last edited by marisa on Mon May 23, 2005 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Mon May 23, 2005 4:18 pm   

I know the pic isn't that great, the skin isn't broken, I don't think it's grown, it sort of looks like its under his skin heres some more pics, the bump is on the left side of his head
meNsammy

Post Posted: Mon May 23, 2005 4:30 pm   

the top pic looks like an abcess. should be a simple fix for an experienced herp vet.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon May 23, 2005 4:34 pm   

Yes, the first one of the second set does look like an ear abcess. He needs to go to a herp vet to have it lanced and mostly likely receive antibiotics. It won't go away on it's own (and is increasingly painful for him).
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Mon May 23, 2005 5:06 pm   

thanks, do you have an idea how much its going to cost?
meNsammy

Post Posted: Mon May 23, 2005 6:54 pm   

Fees can vary. You could call a few to compare. (If you don't have a herp vet already and/or don't know of one near you, you could try the links under the Sticky on finding one.) But try to take him in to be seen as soon as possible...
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Mon May 23, 2005 7:29 pm   

thanks for all the info, i set up an appointment for him tomorrow, hopefully it isn't too bad.
meNsammy

Post Posted: Mon May 23, 2005 7:34 pm   

That's good. Let us know what happens.
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Wed May 25, 2005 4:51 pm   

Well I took Sammy in yesterday and it wasn't a ear abscess thankfully, but it was a small abscess the vet poked at it and told me to put betadine on it and to clean the water everyday and hopefully it will go away. But if it wasn't for this site i probably would of not even known what to do. thanks everyone :D
meNsammy

Post Posted: Wed May 25, 2005 5:05 pm   

It's good you took him in to be seen. (When you said the vet poked at it, did he open it up to drain?) Sounds like Sammy (and you) got off relatively easily. :)
marisa
Retired Mod

Return to Urgent Care