Habitat - Indoor :: Baby turtles won't bask!!

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:26 pm   Baby turtles won't bask!!

Hi all,

However do you get your turtles to bask?! I've had mine for about six weeks and may have caught one of them basking like the second day I had them. Since then, nada.

I FINALLY managed to get the basking platform about 10 degrees higher than the water by turning the A/C in my apartment on full blast and then putting three lights on the basking side of the tank (75 watt incandescent, 50(?) watt halogen and another 60 watt incandescent) - this brought the basking temp to about 93 degrees, and the water on the cool side of the tank to about 83.

I can't seem to get the water any cooler than this, I guess because my apartment gets too warm (unless maybe I install a better A/C or put a fan right next to the tank?). I think the warmth of the water might be the problem. I was hoping that it at least wouldn't hurt my turtles b/c they're still so young (they were a little over an inch long when I got them in early May). I read that hatchlings should be in 82 degree-ish water.

The other thing is they're still terrified of me (freak out and frantically paddle away when they see me), so maybe they just bask while I'm gone. But I even tried putting up a shield for them so they couldn't see me, and would periodically sneak a peek - still nothing.

Help! I don't want them to get sick from not ever giving their shells a chance to dry off!

Thanks much!
sarahji

Post Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:24 am   

Here are my main thoughts on basking: www.redearslider.com/basking.html

You can lower the temp of the water to 80F. The 10 degrees is a guideline, some RES like it hotter, for some it could only be a few degrees. Once they know where to go and they are adjusted (they might need more privacy to begin with), you should see them basking a lot more.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:29 pm   

Hmm... thanks for the link and the thoughts, Steve!

Only problem is, I'm not sure how to cool the water down, though! Water coolers are supposedly pretty expensive, and I've got the AC up full blast...
sarahji

Post Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:46 pm   

There are some suggestions on the Water section of the website for cooling. :)
1 Rio Grande RES - 1 Yr Old - J.T.
http://www.redearslider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=26972
shedreamsinred

Post Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:57 pm   

"Cooling Water
Water that is too warm will cause excessive shedding and will increase the potential of bacterial illnesses. This is something to consider if you live in a warm climate and are unable to control your ambient temperature. Aquarium chillers are available, but most are quite expensive for keepers. The most practical solution may be to keep the aquarium in an air-conditioned room but out of direct flow with the cool air. Other options may be a canister filter encased in a Styrofoam cooler or ice encased in plastic bags or bottles although these ideas may only be effective for small tanks."
shedreamsinred

Post Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:25 am   

Maybe there still getting used to you.
Shedreamsinred is 78 at night and 80-82 good will that cause excessive shedding?
Ranger- 13 year old Red Ear Slider
Ranger The Red Ear Slider

Post Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:41 am   

I'm not sure, but it doesn't really seem very far off the ideal mark.

Also from the Water Regulation portion of the website:
"Water needs to be temperature controlled and the preferred range is 78-80 degrees F for hatchlings and 75-78 degrees F for adults. Water that is too cold can cause a turtle to become inactive and less responsive."
shedreamsinred

Post Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:41 am   

Oh okay thanks
Ranger- 13 year old Red Ear Slider
Ranger The Red Ear Slider

Post Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:52 pm   

Put a frozen water bottle sealed in the water maybe?
tidaboy9

Post Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:37 pm   

Thanks, all.

I did read that website text before posting; I was just hoping someone would have other suggestions. I don't currently have a canister filter (saving up for one; right now I just have the Aqueon one that came with the turtle tank kit at PetCo), so that rules out the styrofoam idea, and I tried the ice cubes once, but they didn't do much, and aren't exactly a sustainable solution anyway.

Also, on some other websites out there, it suggests 82 degrees for hatchlings. Just FYI, don't know how accurate that is.
sarahji

Post Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:37 pm   

PS: Oh, just saw tidaboy9's suggestion. I'll give that a shot! (And monitor it to make sure it doesn't get too cold...)
sarahji

Post Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:07 pm   Re: Baby turtles won't bask!!

I had my turtle for 6 months now, and it did not bask until a few weeks ago. I'm not sure it's because of weather (May-June North america) or just that he found that he likes it. I had logs just sitting there for him and until recently he/she now sits there now. In short he did it on his own.

sarahji wrote:Hi all,

However do you get your turtles to bask?! I've had mine for about six weeks and may have caught one of them basking like the second day I had them. Since then, nada.

I FINALLY managed to get the basking platform about 10 degrees higher than the water by turning the A/C in my apartment on full blast and then putting three lights on the basking side of the tank (75 watt incandescent, 50(?) watt halogen and another 60 watt incandescent) - this brought the basking temp to about 93 degrees, and the water on the cool side of the tank to about 83.

I can't seem to get the water any cooler than this, I guess because my apartment gets too warm (unless maybe I install a better A/C or put a fan right next to the tank?). I think the warmth of the water might be the problem. I was hoping that it at least wouldn't hurt my turtles b/c they're still so young (they were a little over an inch long when I got them in early May). I read that hatchlings should be in 82 degree-ish water.

The other thing is they're still terrified of me (freak out and frantically paddle away when they see me), so maybe they just bask while I'm gone. But I even tried putting up a shield for them so they couldn't see me, and would periodically sneak a peek - still nothing.

Help! I don't want them to get sick from not ever giving their shells a chance to dry off!

Thanks much!
rmpbklyn

Post Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:30 pm   

Instead of adding ice cubes, get a large container and fill it with water, then freeze it. We have a 125 gallon tank and we would trade out 1-2 gallon jugs of ice everyday. We kept five in the freezer at all times. Smaller tanks obviously don't need something that large, but a container would be more effective than ice cubes.
~Christi
1.0 RES: Mikey R.I.P.
1.0 Het for Albino Red Tail Boa: Kaa ~adopted out
0.0.1 Northern BTS: Petri ~now a well-loved class pet

1.0 Am. Staff Mix: Brutus R.I.P.
1.0 German Shepherd: Pax

1.0 Husband: Will
0.1 Daughter: Lily
untsmurf

Post Posted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:01 pm   Re: Baby turtles won't bask!!

Do you ever come home or enter the room and hear a splash? I have had my turtles for 4 years and I remember that when they were really young I would never see them bask but I would sometimes hear them jump off the basking area when I came home. As they got older (or more comfortable around people?) they began to bask in front of me.

Is it easy for yours to get onto the basking area? If they are really little it might be tough for them to climb up.
TippySebastian

Post Posted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:57 pm   Re: Baby turtles won't bask!!

sarahji wrote: I even tried putting up a shield for them so they couldn't see me, and would periodically sneak a peek - still nothing.

I think they're smart. I think to them, you're playing hide & seek. They know you're their. George knows I'm around. He watches me discreetly. Hopefully he'll stop hiding and stop being so shy, won't eat in front of me, etc..

But! I believe he's basking for the first time today! :) I've had him for about 3 weeks. He's tiny.
Impulse Shopper

Next

Return to Habitat - Indoor