Urgent Care :: Basking problem

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Sun May 22, 2005 8:31 pm   Basking problem

I have a baby turtle, about 2 inches.

i have him in a 70 gallon tank with proper lighting and everything. i have him several basking spots but he wont bask! All he does is swim all day and when he gets tired he'll just hang onto the basking are then swim again. I know hes strong enough to get on the basking area because I leave food for him there everyday and he eats it... then he goes back to swmming.

hes as cute as hell, but wont bask and im afraid his shell will get soft.

right now I have him in a container sitting on the basking spot so he'll get some light. still hes trying to get to the water. whats going on, help me please
Vertigo

Post Posted: Sun May 22, 2005 8:35 pm   

First, get him out of that container and let him get into the water. You don't want to burn the lil guy. What are the basking and water temps? If the water is too warm and the basking spot is not warm enough, he'll have no reason to bask. Keep the water about 75-78 and the basking spot has to be at least 10 degrees warmer than the water. I keep my water at 75 and basking spot at 90. Check the temps and let us know what they are. If that's not the problem, we'll help you figure out what is :)
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Sun May 22, 2005 9:10 pm   

i took him out of the container. he ran straight for the water. never knew turtles moved so fast. no wonder they beat the hare.

water temp is 74 degrees

im checking the basking tem now
Vertigo

Post Posted: Sun May 22, 2005 9:12 pm   

erm the basking area is about 78

is a heated rock good? im thinking of getting him one of those
Vertigo

Post Posted: Sun May 22, 2005 9:21 pm   

NO! don't use a heated rock! Get a clamp lamp and a 75-100 watt light bulb (I use the infared heat lamps). Aim the light on the basking platform. Check the temp of the platform once it warms up. Adjust the light so the platform is 88 to 92 degrees.
Scooter (10") & B.C.(11") both female.
150 gal with 2 Pondmaster 1500s
soopermum62

Post Posted: Sun May 22, 2005 10:23 pm   

also make sure that it is easy for him to climb onto the platform. part of the platform should be submerged and at an incline or have steps.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun May 22, 2005 10:49 pm   

he's my turtle(sprite, because my frogs are anmed Coca and Cola

here's his home, the 70 gallon tank that is imense compared to him

Vertigo

Post Posted: Sun May 22, 2005 11:26 pm   

sweet setup, cute turt! yeah just get the basking spot at a good temp, and once he gets used to his surroundings he'll bask. in fact he may be basking when you're not around...who knows? :shock: speaking of shells getting soft, dont forget your turtle not only needs to bask, but the basking should also provide UVB light. Also, a calcium supplement, i.e. cuttlebone. Good luck! 8)
From the homegrowers soul, straight to his lungs. That's the method that I myself find fun. Start from seed and then you'll see, just how fun homegrowing can be.
da sAUCE!

Post Posted: Mon May 23, 2005 12:19 am   

i got him this calcium thingy that you put in the water and it provides him with calcium. it also cleanse the water of chlorine
Vertigo

Post Posted: Mon May 23, 2005 12:42 pm   

Those calcium "thingys" (a turtle or some kind of block) really don't give him the calcium he needs. Try small pieces of cuttlebone, or get a non-phosporus calcium supplement, moisten his pellets, coat them in the powder, let them dry and then feed them to him for added calcium.

Electricity (i.e. heated rock) and water don't mix and could kill your turt (very cute, BTW). He should get the heat from above, as in nature (the sun). If there's no big difference between the water and basking area temps (8-10 degrees) he has no real reason to bask (for the warmth).

You might want to add a plastic plant or two so he can rest on them as well as the edge of the basking area (it would also give him some privacy).

Up to a year, the shells are more pliable, especially around the rear, so don't expect his shell to become rock hard. But some extra calcium for growing turts is good.

Can he bask in privacy?
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Mon May 23, 2005 4:12 pm   

yay he's finally baskin :D :D :D

well he moved up a step... now hes half in water half on land
Vertigo

Return to Urgent Care