Other Turtle Discussion :: Cichlids

Non-care related topics here.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:29 pm   Cichlids

So I bought two jewel cichlids to "keep my turtle company." ie- I figured if I bought super aggressive fish they would survive longer than other fish, because they might actually fight back when trying to get eaten. Anyway, after watching the pet store tank, I bought the two most aggressive fish in it.

The first 3 days in their new tank they were BFF's, sticking almost side by side for the greater good of survival. However, now that they've realized Mr. Pink is a slow, uncoordinated fool who has more interest in mating with them then eating them (I caught him displaying mating behaviours to one of them. He was rejected, poor thing), the bigger brighter one is clearly bullying the *slightly* smaller, paler one. The smaller one has a couple small shreds in his fins already.

So, how can I keep the one cichlid from killing the other cichlid? Should I add more caves to hide in so they can both claim a spot in the tank? Or will I have to separate them? Its a 30 gallon tank, I thought that would be enough room for a turtle and 2 cichlids.

Thanks for any advice you may have!
Outlander

Post Posted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:51 pm   

Cichlids are very aggressive fish...and the reason your turtle has not eaten them already is prob because there alot bigger then your turtle. The rips in the fins could be from your turtle tho aswell tho, ide just separate the two fish if you want because there always going to fight..
DarkGenoc1de on Playstation Network
SINI5T3R

Post Posted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:43 am   

Actually the cichlids are only 2 inches long, my turtle is 4 inches. Mr Pink basically ignores them now, unless they get in his way for food. The fin tears are definitely from the other cichlid, I watched one of them happen.
Outlander

Post Posted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:40 pm   

ah okay I dont know why your turtle would not try to eat them. My turtles would be ALLL over those fish haha they would def not last long in my tank but I wish I could put some in there because there pretty fish. I wanted to put some Convicts in there but im not about to spend 6$ on a fish and there be a chance it gets eaten within the first 5 min...
SINI5T3R

Post Posted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:03 pm   

Your turtle more than likely will never catch that jewel cichlid unless it is sick, weak or injured. I keep 30 different cichlids in with my turtle and they are by far the best fish I have ever had with turtles as far as survivablity. Jewels don't get as big as most African Mbuna but man they are mean. You think that cichlid is worried about your turtle? Check this out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lo4KcsBN--A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxqZ1a6x6dw

Cichlids are very well evolved and adapted, and when they get full grown your turtle will still be growing. They can beat the crap out of your turtle if they want to, they are very fast and nimble and almost impssible to catch unless injured or sick.
6'x18''x20''100g 1 4in RES male 1 2in YBS Female
3 baby Peninsula Cooters
2 Senegal Bichirs
2 pictus cats
1 juvie bluegill
30 swordtails and guppies
10 ghost shrimp
jay2487

Post Posted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:11 pm   

jay2487 wrote:Your turtle more than likely will never catch that jewel cichlid unless it is sick, weak or injured. I keep 30 different cichlids in with my turtle and they are by far the best fish I have ever had with turtles as far as survivablity. Jewels don't get as big as most African Mbuna but man they are mean. You think that cichlid is worried about your turtle? Check this out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lo4KcsBN--A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxqZ1a6x6dw

Cichlids are very well evolved and adapted, and when they get full grown your turtle will still be growing. They can beat the crap out of your turtle if they want to, they are very fast and nimble and almost impssible to catch unless injured or sick.

LOL at video 1 they were owning that turtle but those fish are FREAKING HUGE!

and in vid 2, that is a NICE turtle..would you happen to know what type it is?

and what do you think convicts would do in a turtle tank? think they would survive ? I mite get some cichlids to my turtle tank for some color and beauty...never knew they could fight against a turtle :P
SINI5T3R

Post Posted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:35 pm   

Sinister, in video one, that was actually in Lake Malawi or Tanganyika and that turtle is like a 3 ft round Terrapin LOL
In Vid 2: I think it is a type of painted judging by that line across it's face and it's shell but I could be wrong

As for cichlids, YES!! Listen, I have tried a ton of different kinds of fish in my turtle tanks. common plecos survive well, bichirs survive well, many catfish do good, but nothing punks a turtle out like a cichlid. I remember when I first added some thet turtle went straight for them and the cichlid(a 3 inch blue mbuna)slowly and calmly started swimming circles around the biggest RES just out of necks reach causing the turtle to pinwheel for at least 5 minutes straight, to the point where I wanted to stick my hand in and stop him thinking he wouldn't come up for air and continue to pinwheel to death lol, but eventually he quit and never chased a cichlid again. Of course, you will lose the occasional one that wasn't paying attention and got ambushed by a turtle but overall they are great survivors.
3 baby Peninsula Cooters
2 Senegal Bichirs
2 pictus cats
1 juvie bluegill
10 ghost shrimp
jay2487

Post Posted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:24 pm   

jay2487 wrote:Sinister, in video one, that was actually in Lake Malawi or Tanganyika and that turtle is like a 3 ft round Terrapin LOL
In Vid 2: I think it is a type of painted judging by that line across it's face and it's shell but I could be wrong

As for cichlids, YES!! Listen, I have tried a ton of different kinds of fish in my turtle tanks. common plecos survive well, bichirs survive well, many catfish do good, but nothing punks a turtle out like a cichlid. I remember when I first added some thet turtle went straight for them and the cichlid(a 3 inch blue mbuna)slowly and calmly started swimming circles around the biggest RES just out of necks reach causing the turtle to pinwheel for at least 5 minutes straight, to the point where I wanted to stick my hand in and stop him thinking he wouldn't come up for air and continue to pinwheel to death lol, but eventually he quit and never chased a cichlid again. Of course, you will lose the occasional one that wasn't paying attention and got ambushed by a turtle but overall they are great survivors.

Good to know. I will def go to the pet store 2marrow or 2day depending on some stuff and see If i cant pick up some convicts or something else that looks cool.

What about Oscars? do they survive well? I know there really mean fish aswell...and grow QUICK!
SINI5T3R

Post Posted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:35 pm   

yeah they survive but they get way too big. A full grown common oscar cichlid is way too big for a 55gal plus adding in a turtle it's just not a good idea, plus Oscars are way to smart and friendly to risk them getting eaten by a turtle. PLUS, there are a million smaller prettier cooler looking type of cichlids. I would stick with some small ones. Also, buy juvie ones, that way if any do get eaten the ones to reach maturity are products of natural selection and will breed even better escape artists and turtle dodgers;)
3 baby Peninsula Cooters
2 Senegal Bichirs
2 pictus cats
1 juvie bluegill
10 ghost shrimp
jay2487

Post Posted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:37 pm   

jay2487 wrote:yeah they survive but they get way too big. A full grown common oscar cichlid is way too big for a 55gal plus adding in a turtle it's just not a good idea, plus Oscars are way to smart and friendly to risk them getting eaten by a turtle. PLUS, there are a million smaller prettier cooler looking type of cichlids. I would stick with some small ones. Also, buy juvie ones, that way if any do get eaten the ones to reach maturity are products of natural selection and will breed even better escape artists and turtle dodgers;)

How do you tell Male from Female and are they easy to breed?
SINI5T3R

Post Posted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:44 am   

its different for each species, you would have to decide what species you want and yes, most cichlids are prolific breeders and great at protectign there young, unlike most other fish that will eat them, cichlids protect them. Some even raise them in their mouths!! check this out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkmmpSrbbjM
3 baby Peninsula Cooters
2 Senegal Bichirs
2 pictus cats
1 juvie bluegill
10 ghost shrimp
jay2487

Post Posted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:07 am   

Thanks for all the posts guys, but none of it helps about my cichlids being aggressive WITH EACH OTHER!!! They have no problems with the turtle. How do I keep one jewel from beating up the other jewel? I was told if I have more fish in the tank they fight less because they can't establish a territory as easily, but since my tank is only 30 gals I don't want to crowd it with too many fish.

Sinister, convicts are probably the easiest to breed. Females develop bright orange patches on their belly when they're sexually mature and ready for lovin. Males do not and sometimes have black spots on their tail fin. Make sure the females are smaller than the males, otherwise it is unlikely they will pair off. The darker the stripes, the more aggressive it is. Flower pots are a good habitat for them to lay eggs on, but you'll probably find once the fry hatch your turtle will eat them non stop. Adults will also eat their young after a certain point.
Outlander

Post Posted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:30 pm   

There cichlids Outlander, there aggressive fish, the only real way to stop aggression, especially between each other is to kill them. I have 3 jewels, 2 have paired off, turned a brighter pink and very aggressive, the odd man out is always showing bars(stressed) and always hiding, if it comes out it's own kind, the jewels, will chase and nip it, the Mbunas don't really care about it, it's the jewels that beat there own kind. I am almost positive that if I took the one opressed one out the other two would show aggression towards each other.

If you have plenty of caves and hiding spots, rearrange them and see if a new dominant one emerges but eventhen it will just beat on the one that was dominant. I have heard that if you give them NO hiding spots they become less aggressive as many cichlids aggression stems from defending a spot. Also, you could try to add one, they pair up and mate for life, I think my brighter colored ones are paired, but even then, if you have two pairs what stops them from being aggressive towards each other.

Really Cichlids are cichlids, they beat the crap out of each other, its there nature. Some tattered fins and bruised lips are just a normal part of cichlid life, if there literally beating each other to death then I really dont know what to tell you other than your tank might be too small or you just have to separate them.
3 baby Peninsula Cooters
2 Senegal Bichirs
2 pictus cats
1 juvie bluegill
10 ghost shrimp
jay2487

Post Posted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:03 pm   Re: Cichlids

I have some large goldfish and I was wondering if they will do ok with a turtle. I was thinking a res.i have 1 6" fancy goldfish, 1 6" comet, 1 4" comet, and 2 5.5" plecos. The tank has good hiding places a good filter and good water quality. Should the turtle attack the goldfish?
Me19999

Post Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:20 am   Re: Cichlids

Given the opportunity, the RES will try to eat anything that moves.
steve
Site Admin

Next

Return to Other Turtle Discussion