Urgent Care :: problems

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:51 pm   problems

I live in New Orleans,La im 15 going on 16 in 3 mon.and i was in my backyard when i had found this cute baby turtle in my backyard but its a red ear slider. I had two turtle when i was in Mobile,AL for 5 years but its a baby turtle i dont know what to do with him i want him him/her.
Tpetplaya

Post Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:54 pm   

I'd have to say let him go. Is there a body of water nearby that he could have wandered away from? If so, let him go there.
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 6:04 pm   

I agree with Jen, It's best not to take a turt out of its natural habitat... He's got a life outside, it's best not to disrupt it.
bradhart

Post Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:56 pm   

I got mine from outside, but it's because he was in trouble. If he was just wandering outside and he's not hurt, just leave him be.
From the homegrowers soul, straight to his lungs. That's the method that I myself find fun. Start from seed and then you'll see, just how fun homegrowing can be.
da sAUCE!

Post Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 6:37 pm   

all i can say is if you took him from outside you better do a darn good job making sure he has exactly what he/she needs. you've taken it upon yourself to disrupt his life for your pleasure. sounds selfish to me.

so.. you now have a huge responsibility.. a 13 in long and approx 30 year responsibility. think of where your going to be and what you want to do in a few years.

are you going away to college or university? your turt will be the size of a bacon cheesburger by then. and you'll need a 50+ gallon tank. will you be living in a dorm? rooming? or at home.

If you have to move away for school, i would suggest you put him back. unless you plan on lugging all your turtle gear away to school with you.

most dorms wont let you house anything in a 50 gallon tank..

If you love this turtle that much, you'll put it back and let it enjoy the life it was meant to have.

wait ten years, when you have a home, money and a steady full-time job or career.. then you can get all the turtles you want.

why make the little guy suffer because you "want him"? :evil:
Adam
pkneeyahx
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:58 pm   

wow, a little harsh! my first turtle was a painted that I found in the middle of the road, she had been hit by a car and had a broken leg, if I didn't take her, she prolly would have gotten run over! SHe lived for about 3 more years.

Also, I am in college and them main reason I decided to live at home was cuz of my turtle, along with my cats, dog and guinea pig as well.....good luck
magical_me44

Post Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:15 pm   

nope.. not harsh at all. all I'm saying is the minute you decide you want to bring the turtle home. it's your responsibility. you can't just keep it for a couple years and then put it back.

it may seem harsh to some.. but in actuality, removing an animal from their natural habitat for your enjoyment is cruel and unnecessary.. just because "you want it".

if you want a pet turtle.. show some support for the little guys in the pet store.. and at least do your part in knowing that one pet store turtle wont die inside the store under poor coniditions.

makes sense doesn't it? it's not harsh at all.

if you haven't done the research and your not ready to own a turtle.. don't get one or poach one from the wild. ; they need two things.. time and money. LOTS of money.

my 2 cents.
Adam
pkneeyahx
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 1:32 am   

I think we are all aware of what having a turtle means......and taking a turtle into your care when its hurt or whatever may be a better idea, then just leaving it there to die ( of course, depending on what type of injury it has) its very possible to nurse it back to health in captivity...as long as you don't go and release then...
magical_me44

Post Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:45 am   

Taking a turtle from the wild when it is injured isn't what he's talking about. In that case, I think we'd all agree that if we could help it recover, we would try. The original poster has taken a healthy turtle from the wild. It's generally not acceptable to do so.
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 1:51 pm   

thanks for gettin my back! :wink:
Adam
pkneeyahx
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 11:09 am   helping a turtle out

umm would it not be easy to keep him out there in the wild just make him a pond near where you live? and just find things out there in a wild for him or her to eat? it would be easier than taking him out of nature and changing his or her whole lifestlye.
just an idea i could be wrong :?
College_Turtle

Post Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 11:26 am   

umm would it not be easy to keep him out there in the wild just make him a pond near where you live? and just find things out there in a wild for him or her to eat? it would be easier than taking him out of nature and changing his or her whole lifestlye.
just an idea i could be wrong

I personally think that that is a good idea. Have a little turtle run with a pond in the backyard all closed off, so they could still be "free" but safe from any predators.
Stacey

Post Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:23 pm   

If I lived in an acceptable climate, and if I had the luxury of a lawn big enough to house a couple turtles, I'd stock the pond with goldfish, or a native species to the area that don't get overly big. It'd be totally fenced in with a big basking rock in the middle.. around one side would be a deck with a dock extending out almost to the rock.

anyways.. i'm dreaming again.. why did I write this?

yes.. I'd stock the pond so I wouldn't really have to feed the turtles too much. Make it as natural as possible, but still in captivity.
Adam
pkneeyahx
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:31 pm   

i just think if you want to keep him happy and in his own world then do that at least that way you would know he'd be safe and out of harm
College_Turtle

Return to Urgent Care