Box Turtle and Tortoise Discussion :: box turtle question

A general forum for those with an interest in land-based turtles.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:00 pm   box turtle question

I have some questions for all of you. I have my eastern box turtle in a 20 gallon long tank right now but a 48" by 18" wooden enclosure is being built for her. My first question is about heat lamps. I have a zoomed red light basking bulb that stays on 24/7 because the pet store guy told me to leave it on. Does it need to be on that long? It seems this bulb replaced the sun which sets every night. My second question was about heat mats. I have a heat rock now but after doing some research that seems like a bad choice for box turtles. So I am going to replace it with a fluker farms heat mat. Can I put it on the inside of a wooden enclosure under a 3 to 4 inch layer of 70% ecoearth and 30% reptibark. I keep the tank at 65% humidity minimum. thanks for your help.
RR38

Post Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:59 pm   

The lamp does not need to be on 24/7. Give him 12 hours of light, and 12 hours of darkness. The guy at the store probably told you that because you'll burn the bulb out in half the time if you leave it on = store gets more money.. or he just didn't know what he was talking about.

No heat mats/rocks, etc. Boxies will bury themselves in the dirt/substrate to cool off. No heat from below, ever. I don't understand why heat rocks are even still on the market.. just dangerous.

The size of the enclosure you're building is great for a single adult. If you haven't actually started yet, I've got an idea for you. I got an old (sturdy) wooden bookshelf from my office, knocked the shelves out, tiled the inside (stick on tiles from the dollar store) and filled'er up with dirt/peat/coconut fibre. It cost me next to nothing, and I was able to do it myself even tho I'm such a girl when it comes to DIY. He's got a half-log hide, some random rocks (bigger than his head tho to prevent him from trying to eat them), and i used a clean/unused paint tray for a water dish when he outgrew his old one.

Your humidity is good. What are the temps?

It's also good to have one area that's just slate rock or something similar, to help wear down his claws. I figured that out the hard way and mine has to go in for a trim. Cuttlebone is good for keeping his beak down too.

Sorry, kinda got on an info kick there..
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:37 pm   

jenaero wrote:The lamp does not need to be on 24/7. Give him 12 hours of light, and 12 hours of darkness. The guy at the store probably told you that because you'll burn the bulb out in half the time if you leave it on = store gets more money.. or he just didn't know what he was talking about.

No heat mats/rocks, etc. Boxies will bury themselves in the dirt/substrate to cool off. No heat from below, ever. I don't understand why heat rocks are even still on the market.. just dangerous.

The size of the enclosure you're building is great for a single adult. If you haven't actually started yet, I've got an idea for you. I got an old (sturdy) wooden bookshelf from my office, knocked the shelves out, tiled the inside (stick on tiles from the dollar store) and filled'er up with dirt/peat/coconut fibre. It cost me next to nothing, and I was able to do it myself even tho I'm such a girl when it comes to DIY. He's got a half-log hide, some random rocks (bigger than his head tho to prevent him from trying to eat them), and i used a clean/unused paint tray for a water dish when he outgrew his old one.

Your humidity is good. What are the temps?

It's also good to have one area that's just slate rock or something similar, to help wear down his claws. I figured that out the hard way and mine has to go in for a trim. Cuttlebone is good for keeping his beak down too.

Sorry, kinda got on an info kick there..

Thanks for the help. So just to get this straight all she needs is a heat lamp and a UVB light right? My uvb is on a timer to match the sunoutside, should the heat be like that as well? as for temps I keep her at about 70F-75F. Also have a piece of slate in with her, as well as a cuttlebone. Thanks for the help again.
RR38

Post Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:46 pm   

The heat and uvb bulbs can both be turned off at night, as long as the room is warm enough (70F+). The warm end of the tank/enclosure should be higher.. Here's a care sheet to get you started
http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/c ... nboxie.htm

You're very welcome.
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Return to Box Turtle and Tortoise Discussion