Hi! Introduce yourselves here. :: New owner.. new to forum

Drop a post to say hi. Please ask care questions in the forums below.

Post Posted: Thu May 19, 2005 12:26 am   New owner.. new to forum

Hi
Beware...this is going to be long.
My family is turtle sitting this summer. Our ward is a red ear named Akamimi. He is just a few inches.
Akamimi didnt come to us with more than the basics. Home smaller than an aquarium with nice rocks and some food. I am guessing he has a better set up at home, but dont know. He isnt very old and so I doubt his owner has had alot of time to do research and a set up.
I was so surprised to find a whole website and a forum just for RES! Thank you!!! I needed so much info!!
In the past two weeks staying with us the little guy has gotten to roam the living room (we have no pets) and the porch. He likes to be out. He has a towel we put out that he curls up in and goes to sleep when he is done roaming.
Here is how ignorant we were about the little guy.. he does so well in a dry area that we bought a tank and ground cover (like for reptiles) and a wonderful dish for him to swim in. It seemed like a good idea at the time. He flounders in deeper water like a toddler in a pool. The first thing he did was burrow in the ground cover and didnt come out. The ground cover was soon removed and water was added. We put a big (clean) rock in that was well propped so he could swim under as well and climb on where it was dry.. and a lamp. He was freaked out for a while. He did the flounder thing until he found he could touch bottom and still stick his head out. He finally found his way on top of the rock.. under the lamp and spent the rest of the evening finding where he could climb on and get off safely. (He is not a risk taker)
Tonight he is back in the small home while we set up the filter, heater, plants, dry dock place and all. Even got some cuttle-stuff and gross little shrimp things that he seems to like.
He is so cute and so much personality. He watches TV too.
Thank you all for your info on this site. It has been a turtle life saver for certain!
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
soomc

Post Posted: Thu May 19, 2005 9:08 am   

Welcome to the site! :D Do that turt a favor...when the owner comes back, find out what kind of setup they have for him at home. Then pass on the info you've learned from here (or better, give them the website address). Careful how you approach it tho because some people get mighty upset when you try to help..some see it more as being told what they're doing is inadequate.
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Thu May 19, 2005 9:29 am   

Welcome to the board.

I agree, alot of people take offense when you try to tell them they are doing something wrong, the "You can't tell me what to do" syndrome :lol: , but seriously, let the person know what you have found out about the turtle and ask if his/her setup is similar and suggest that they visit this site or others like it, hopefully he/she won't take offense by your suggestion.

Good luck. :D
STRAYKINGFISHER

Post Posted: Thu May 19, 2005 10:45 am   

Thanks
I send pics occassionally of him and am easing into the idea that he has a new environment. His owner is a college student and I think she will appreciate the upgrade in his environment. I told her I found a site and forum for RES. I'll give her the link for it before she comes back.

I am worried about him today. He is in the new tank wit the filter and heater and such. It is much deeper than he is used to. I am worried when I get home from work he wont be okay. I tried to set him up on the dock so he could realize its there but he ran and leapt off into the water. He was under it in the corner when I left. Though he did have his nose up above the water.
Do you leave your heat lamp (lack of better word) on all day? I'm not comfortable with how hot it feels on the outside.

Thanks for all you help
soomc

Post Posted: Thu May 19, 2005 10:46 am   

check the water and basking temps. Basking temp should be about 90, water temp 75-78. Keep the lamp on 12 hours a day.
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Thu May 19, 2005 11:14 am   

The basking lamp should be on 12 hours? Wow. Ok. Good thing the weekend is coming. Im not going to be comfortable doing that unless I am home.
soomc

Post Posted: Thu May 19, 2005 11:19 am   i know what you mean

I told my friend to do this and this for his turt. I think he dosnt take it so well lol. He has 3 turts in a 50 gallon tank. He dosnt have enogh water in it though. and he has practically filled the whole tank up with big decorative rocks. There isnt anywere for the turtles to swim. I tell him to take out the rocks and fill up the tank abit. He will say he will do it later. But he never dose! I know about 60 times more than him (regarding res).
He knows i do to. You think he would listen to me!
GouzlanTheAmerican

Post Posted: Thu May 19, 2005 11:34 am   

soomc... I wouldnt worry too much about the heating lamp, all those things are tested by UL (underwriter labs) and are approved as long as you have a lamp that was designed for that use. Plus without it, your RES doesnt have much incentive to get out of his water. They like to get out and be in a nice warm environment.
Reyna - 2.25"
Orion - 2.25"

Were 1.3" and 1.4" when I got them on May 12, 2005
therizman1

Post Posted: Thu May 19, 2005 12:01 pm   

I agree, especially if the turtle is not used to seeing you, it will prefer to stay underwater until it feels safe enough to come out, I pretty much have to sneak up on my turtles to check if they are basking, but any slight movement and off they go into the water, I leave my heat lamp all the time, my lamp base was designed for a heat bulb (ceramic heater in my case), so the heat won't be transmited to any plastic things, the only thing to make sure about is that the lamp is securely attached to whatever you have so it doesn't come loose and fall in the water and electricute the turtles.
STRAYKINGFISHER

Post Posted: Thu May 19, 2005 1:44 pm   

Thanks. You all are the best!!
I went home at lunch (early lunch) and he was fine. Still hadnt figured out the basking rock. But not frantically trying to find a way out either.
he let me take him out and put him in the smaller tank to feed.. and boy did he eat! He watched TV for a few minutes and then I put him back in the big tank. He was fine. I attached the basking lamp while he ate. I also turned the tank so the long side is now to the window he likes to look out. I set him on the basking rock and he wandered around some before heading back in the water.
I can see where the guy has too much stuff in he tank. Stuff is fun. Akamimi does have plenty of room to swin around (he's only a couple inches). Thanks for your help. Never thought I would need a turtle support group. haha

Sue
soomc

Post Posted: Thu May 19, 2005 6:00 pm   

Welcome. Can he get on the rock easily? If your worried about leaving the heat lamp on, do get a fixture with a ceramic base. Also, since you've got him the tank in a window, if it's warm you may eventually get algae (which isn't a problem, but people sometimes get frustrated with it if they get a lot of it). Although he likes to look out of the window, he won't really benefit from the sun's rays--the glass blocks them (He needs UVB rays for his shell). Is it warm enough for him to be taken outside for some unfiltered sunlight. If not, although you're the sitter, getting a UVB light would be good.

And I have to say I love his name. How did a turtle living in Lincoln, NE wind up with that? (Akamimi means Red Ears in Japanese) Does he have bright ones? :)
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Fri May 20, 2005 10:12 am   

Marisa
How did you know that was what his name means? His owner is Japanese. She is a foreign student at the University here.
It has been warm the days I take him outside. He stays on the porch too.
There isnt a top on the tank so that helps with the light some. We got the basking lamp and are working on the other one.
He figured out how to get on the "beach"(basking rock) and has been spendng time there. He doesnt mind much when we come in and see him there. He has rearranged a few small rocks on the bottom of the tank. When he doesnt want to be seen, he sits by them and pretends to be one I think. He watched me put carrot strip pieces on the edge of his basking rock this morning. Will be interesting to see if he tries them.

Sue
soomc

Post Posted: Fri May 20, 2005 2:47 pm   

I lived in Tokyo for a number of years and know some Japanese. Well, does he live up to his name? Does he have really red ears?

If you're putting the carrot shavings on the rock and he won't take them, try putting them in the water. Try also some leafy greens and aquatic plants like anachris.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Fri May 20, 2005 5:58 pm   

They are red, but they arent incredibly red. Have seen pics of some that are more red.
soomc

Return to Hi! Introduce yourselves here.