General Care Discussion :: Too much basking?

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:20 pm   Too much basking?

Hey guys, I got 3 baby RES turtles 2 weeks ago. The biggest one, Spot, is active and goes in the water and basks, etc. However, the other two, Rupert and Buddy, are basking for long periods of time. I haven't seen them enter the water for 2 days now. I actually put them in the water myself since they are water turtles and, duh, they need water. In addition, while they bask they also sleep. So, they are basking a lot and sleeping a lot.

Should I be worried?
3 Baby RES Turtles
YoshiBowser

Post Posted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:33 pm   

they have not been in the water? they usually sleep in the water - have you seen them sleep?

too much basking can be a sign that they are sick.

they can bask for hours though but not days.

how is their habitat?
Maltliquor45

Post Posted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:21 pm   

Yosh-B Check your temps. Turtles are temp driven. Maybe the water is too cool, however, you have one that is using the water . Try your water at 75 degrees and the basking at 90 to 91 degrees. If that works, great. If not, increase the water temp a degree at a time until you get to 78. That is my suggestion. If they are eating well, I am not sure what to tell you. Maybe the vet. They have to be in the water to eat? Good Luck! m.
mikee

Post Posted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:07 am   

They are actually sleeping on the dock and not in the water at night. That is pretty weird. I am getting some supplies today to regulate the water temperature. Right now it is at 75 degrees.
3 Baby RES Turtles
YoshiBowser

Post Posted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:07 am   

Do they swim at all? Are they alert if you touch them? Do their eyes appear swollen?
Do you notice any discharge from nose or mouth? These are signs of respiratory
infection. RI is very contagious. You need to separate the healthy one immediately
if this is the case. Then quickly seek a vet's help.

When my turtle got RI, it didn't eat for a month and showed all the signs of RI.
Oh, wash your hands thoroughly after each handling. Good luck! :)
Last edited by Kemul on Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RES - Ramen <f> (51/4")
RES - Heine <f> (43/4")
Asian Leaf Turtle - unnamed <m> (53/4")
measured at Nov 24, 2012
< my turtles' pics >
Kemul

Post Posted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:44 pm   

My turtles did that when they had RI. They spent days on the dock sleeping all the time. They were almost unconscious since I would pick them up and they wouldn't even move.

If you notice any of the symptoms that Kemul mentioned separate the turtles and take them to the vet ASAP. RI causes death if not treated in time.
Check out my blog at: http://turtleaffairs.wordpress.com/
Tank #1:
~Charlie - 4 inch male RES
Tank #2:
~Charlotte - 6 inch female RES
worldpeace

Post Posted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:10 pm   

Currently my turtle has been basking for almost 5 hours now, and maybe even sleeping for just as long, its beginning to worry me
jer3my_H

Post Posted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:14 pm   

Is it showing any of the symptoms of RI?
Check out my blog at: http://turtleaffairs.wordpress.com/
Tank #1:
~Charlie - 4 inch male RES
Tank #2:
~Charlotte - 6 inch female RES
worldpeace

Post Posted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:32 pm   

jer3my_H wrote:Currently my turtle has been basking for almost 5 hours now, and maybe even sleeping for just as long, its beginning to worry me

Do you know what the temperature of the basking area is? Is the turtle awake? Responsive to touch/noise?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:30 am   

i too am sharing this same problem,,,,and lost my little guy bowser to this just last week...Basking too much, Hardly/never in the water and never
ate, even when forced, untill finally i found him in the water apparently drowned. Now my map turtle is sharing the same symptoms. Basking almost all day/night, never in the water, not eating, sleeping for 3/4 a day....

I did notice my Basking TEMP was way to high almost 110. Im not sure but it seems like the turtle may have become addicted to it and wont get off the dock for that purpose, i hope i dont lose the little guy. That'll be 2 in 2 weeks.

long story short CHECK YOUR BASK TEMP.
all3y3sonme

Post Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:57 pm   

all3ys3onme, perhaps your turtle isn't addicted to the too-high temp but is being rendered immobile by it. Hatchlings/small ones can be literally knocked out by temps that are too high and can't move. I'd lower it by 10 degrees.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:15 am   

marisa wrote:all3ys3onme, perhaps your turtle isn't addicted to the too-high temp but is being rendered immobile by it. Hatchlings/small ones can be literally knocked out by temps that are too high and can't move. I'd lower it by 10 degrees.

its been a full week+ since the ive turned the basking light off and still
no change, my little guy is GLUED to the basking dock and only snails to and from the sides of it.

I forced it in the water during feeding time and he went ballistic frantically looking for the basking dock.....So i took him out to force feed and he wont open his tiny mouth. I've changed water temp, air temp, everything.........if anyone has expierenced this or has suggestions im alllllll ears.....Thank you guys i have great hope in all of you
all3y3sonme

Post Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:37 am   

are you sure it is an aquatic turtle?
Maltliquor45

Post Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:51 am   

yes, its a map turtle. 2 weeks ago i lost a hatchling (RES) who was behaving
the same way. I swear it was that basking lamp too hot. Theirs 3 total
in the tank Spike (map) Shelly (res) and the 'sick' map turtle squirtle (map)

The tank is a 60 gallon. Water temp 78, bask 90. The other 2 are acting perfectly fine, eating everyday, bask on and off, and swim around the tank. But squirtle will not move for nothingggg, not even a dangled fish in front of him. I've been carefull not to over hold them or cause em stress.....: puzzled
all3y3sonme

Post Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:48 am   

all-3me -- If you just got your temps to 78 water and 90 basking it make a few day to adjust. Do you have uvb lighting also? If all else is good with the aquarium you should be good with the 78/90 temp difference. Good Luck. m.
mikee

Next

Return to General Care Discussion