Feeding and Nutrition :: Harms of meal worms

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Fri May 01, 2009 1:08 am   Harms of meal worms

Why meal worms are dangerous for res? Is it becuse of their bad calcium/phosphorus ratio? or is it something else?
http://www.apb.blogfa.com/ (my persian terrarium blog)
2 RES
2 Europian Pond Turtle
8 Lorestan Mountain Newt
6 AQUARIUMS + a lot of FISH
apb

Post Posted: Fri May 01, 2009 2:15 pm   

Well, like any protein, it should only be fed about once a month, since it can lead to health problems. With meal worms specifically, I think they can be a bit difficult to digest, and don't have that much nutrition to start with.
­Ralpheal, "The 'L' is silent."
Frankie, "Young at heart."
BullDog

Post Posted: Sat May 02, 2009 12:50 am   

Thanks. Yes , I know that meal worms have a long amount of protein , but it may be sutable for res under 1 year. If we make meal worms that have high calcium/phosphorus ratio and have mauch nutrition , will there be any other problams?(except for difficult digestion)
2 RES
2 Europian Pond Turtle
8 Lorestan Mountain Newt
apb

Post Posted: Sat May 02, 2009 3:43 pm   

Gee, the mealworms in cans I've seen here have only about 17% protein; I've never considered them to be a high-protein food (unless live ones are different). The ca/phos ratio, however is terrible, and with growing hatchlings (under 1 year) you'd want them to have abundant calcium in the diet for their growing shells and bones. They have little nutritional value, and unless they've recently shed their skins, they are very difficult to digest.

How do you propose creating mealworms that have are lower in protein and have a high ca/phos ratio????

You can include an occasional mealworm or two in a diet that has good balance. The problem is that turtles usually love them and it's easy to wind up feeding them too frequently since you know your turtle will eagerly eat them. If this is done, over time it can lead to an unhealthy diet and health problems.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Sun May 03, 2009 1:15 am   

Thanks , One of my friends is a veterinarian , and he claims that he has found a way to make mealworms with high ca/phos ratio and no changes to the protein. Do u think it works?
2 RES
2 Europian Pond Turtle
8 Lorestan Mountain Newt
apb

Post Posted: Tue May 05, 2009 1:16 pm   

I haven't the faintest idea. How does your friend do this, and what is the final ca/phos ratio of the mealworms?

I still wouldn't make mealworms a major part of the diet.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Tue May 05, 2009 2:32 pm   

With special diet.(It is a secret)
2 RES
2 Europian Pond Turtle
8 Lorestan Mountain Newt
apb

Post Posted: Tue May 05, 2009 7:02 pm   

Well, it sounds like he's trying to gut-load them (feed them a diet high in calcium).
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Wed May 06, 2009 1:15 am   

Yes , I think so.
2 RES
2 Europian Pond Turtle
8 Lorestan Mountain Newt
apb

Post Posted: Wed May 06, 2009 11:16 am   

When I bred meal worms for my mice(the kids let the mealworms go last summer...) I feed them infant rice cearel with formula mixed in it. That way they where full of calcium.
My favorite things in the world:
1 res, 3 cats, 3 bunnies, 1 dog, 2 african clawed frogs, guppies, pleco, 30+ fancy mice, 2 hermit crabs and 4 small humans
Sassamo

Post Posted: Wed May 06, 2009 12:42 pm   

Thanks , but I think my friend does somthing else.Do you think high ca/phos ratio which is obtain in this way , will still make mealworm harmful for res?
2 RES
2 Europian Pond Turtle
8 Lorestan Mountain Newt
apb

Post Posted: Wed May 06, 2009 6:20 pm   

a-b - I would stick to pellets for turtles. They are well balanced. You can give the meal worms once a week and veggies once a week. The only other thing I give them is calcium added to the pellets and cuddle bone. m.
mikee

Post Posted: Wed May 06, 2009 7:02 pm   

BullDog wrote:Well, like any protein, it should only be fed about once a month, since it can lead to health problems. With meal worms specifically, I think they can be a bit difficult to digest, and don't have that much nutrition to start with.

NO.

RES can, but really should NOT have to live off protein once a month. They should have small amounts of protein once a week, they metabolize it well without UV lighting for a reason. They aren't like humans who can live without meat, the protein in plant material and pellets is different from the protein in meat. With UV lighting speeding up their metabolism, protein once a month goes through them way to quickly, and doesn't last long enough.

Protein does not cause pyramiding. I gave my turtles protein only (I knew NOTHING about turtles back then) for way longer than they needed it and they did not get pyramiding or have any health problems. If protein was that bad they would have had some big issues by now.

Protein stimulates muscle growth, keeps a turtle strong and active. When a turtle is recovering from a respiratory infection, or another curable illness, extra protein helps them get their energy and strength back, and keeps them more content in the long run.

Nowadays, most of us believe pyramiding and other health issues are linked to improper diet and overfeeding, rather than one particular nutrient.

I'm sorry if you feel like I am jumping on you, but this is my personal experience with both of my turtles.
Spike - Egyptian mau mix, 8 years old
Phryne - Japanese bobtail, 9 months old
Hurricane - RES, 8 yo, 6 1/2 in. long
Typhoon - RES/Map hybrid, 8 yo, 7 in. long
Sadie - RES, 20 yo, 10 in. long
Sophie - Colombian red tail boa, 5 yo, 5 ft. long
theartbook35

Post Posted: Wed May 06, 2009 7:03 pm   

apb wrote:Thanks , but I think my friend does somthing else.Do you think high ca/phos ratio which is obtain in this way , will still make mealworm harmful for res?

Meal worms should be a once a week treat at best. There are better proteins from live food out there, like feeder guppies or gutloaded crickets.
Spike - Egyptian mau mix, 8 years old
Phryne - Japanese bobtail, 9 months old
Hurricane - RES, 8 yo, 6 1/2 in. long
Typhoon - RES/Map hybrid, 8 yo, 7 in. long
Sadie - RES, 20 yo, 10 in. long
Sophie - Colombian red tail boa, 5 yo, 5 ft. long
theartbook35

Post Posted: Thu May 07, 2009 4:50 am   

Thanks theartbook35. :D

mikee wrote:a-b - I would stick to pellets for turtles. They are well balanced. You can give the meal worms once a week and veggies once a week. The only other thing I give them is calcium added to the pellets and cuddle bone. m.

Thanks , I khow source of Ca and use cattle bone :roll: , I took mealworms an essensional meal , no as a source of Ca.
2 RES
2 Europian Pond Turtle
8 Lorestan Mountain Newt
apb

Next

Return to Feeding and Nutrition