General Care Discussion :: Never moves.

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:49 pm   Never moves.

Prometheus usually stays nudged between the turtle dock and the wall of the tank and he doesn't move much. He swims around when food is present and such but probably half the time he stays there. I thought it might be because there was a draft but I covered the side with a hanging blanket but he still doesn't move much. Would it be because there's a few plants that don't provide adequete hiding and he's in a dorm room? I have him underneath my lofted bed so maybe he's frightened every time I get on and move around atop him. He's able to do it because the dock's bottom suction cups aren't fastened to the tank. I fastened it once but he went crazy trying to go back to his spot so I just didn't have the heart.

The turtle is around 3.5-4 inches in a 26 gallon rubbermaid tub (upgrading to 50 gallon as of tomorrow), the water temperature ranges from 72 in the morning to 77-78 in the evening. Basking area is 88 when it's on.
alehasfriends

Post Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:53 am   

I had a turtle who did this all the time. They were in a room that had too much activity in it. Can you do something so he has a bit more privacy? Is the tank/container on the floor? I know mine freaked out when they were on the floor and people would go near them ... heck we look like giants to them to start with let alone when we're standing over them :)

Do you have a water heater in his tank? I don't think the temp should fluctuate that much.
Carol
cam722
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:10 pm   

I do have a heater but the temperature fluctuates because I'm having a hard time setting the temperature just right. It's either too hot or too cold. I do have a heater though.

He's on a bookcase right now and I have a blanket hung to one side of him so I could put another blanket on the other side. Right now, I'm back home and I'm happy to say he made the 6.5 hour trip (including the feeder fish he's supposed to be eating) and I have him in a more controlled room with barely any traffic and I peek in on him and he's swimming around.
alehasfriends

Post Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 7:02 pm   

my turtles are fine when i come near, how long have you had him? Sometimes it takes a while for them to get used to this "Owner" figure. Mine move frantically if i come up to them to fast, if they are scared of you, Try walking in the room casually, and do not directly approach the tank. Mine go crazy if i do this. Just, try and take it slow, let him get used to you.
Elliott
ellman605

Post Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 7:17 pm   

it depends. sometimes he'll be basking and won't move when i go into the room and walk around. other times he'll just be under water and he'll go insane. So far I've had him for about a month and a half.
alehasfriends

Post Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 7:19 pm   

woa, give him time to know you, it takes a while, mine just started noticing i love him, and it's been about a year, i think, no, mabey 2 years, anyway, give him a lot of time
Elliott
ellman605

Post Posted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:47 pm   

Not sure who "trained" Nelson before I adopted him.. But he LOVES attention.

I read that you are not supposed to handle them much, but he loves getting out and walking around the house (when it is warm and not drafty). He tries to follow you :) If you sit on the floor he will crawl all over you and then fall alseep on your stomach. When I was teaching as a grad student, he would actually come to his name if he was walking around the office.

If Nelson is basking and you startle him though, he very quickly dives under water. So just give his time and he will figure out what a wonderful friend you are.
All the thoughts of a turtle are turtle.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson
VaBatGirl

Return to General Care Discussion